Here we give instructions on JBL Xtreme 2 charging of this portable Bluetooth speaker through its protected DC input power port and the included 19 volt power adapter. Follow these tips, and you’ll likely never see that the speaker won’t charge. If all components are working properly, charging almost always works well.
JBL Xtreme 2 Charging Instructions
In short, first, we suggest that you charge this speaker with the included JBL charger. Why? Because this charger meets the speaker’s current needs, and is provided by JBL besides. Presumably, JBL thinks that this is a well-matched charger. After all, they do package it with the Xtreme 2. So, we won’t buck any systems here, and will indeed use that charger. But in a bind, full charging of the JBL Xtreme 2 can be done with other vendors’ wall chargers. But we won’t discuss those options here.
Now, it’s time for charging this speaker when the battery status gauge shows a single flashing red light. See the location of the speaker’s battery indicator gauge in the next picture.
When this gauge shows a single blinking LED, plug the black barrel DC output charge cord jack into the speaker. Then, plug the charger into a working wall outlet.
Don’t worry though about having to wait for complete charging of the speaker before you can play it again. The JBL Xtreme 2 will indeed play while charging, although it might take slightly longer to charge when played at high volumes.
Finally after a few hours, the speaker fully charges. Then, play it for roughly fifteen hours before you have to charging is needed again.
JBL Xtreme 2 Charging, Step by Step
1. For Best Results, Use the Included Power Adapter
As mentioned above, we use the JBL wall charger that comes with this speaker, as shown next.
2. Open the Speaker Charging Port Cover
Stick a coin or blunt straight screwdriver into the slot at the top of the port door, and pry it open. This exposes the USB power out and charging port inside, as shown next.
3. Plug the DC Power Cord into the Speaker to Continue with JBL Xtreme 2 Charging
Then, plug the barrel connector end of the wall adapter’s cord into the matching DC input port on the speaker, as shown next.
4. Plug the AC Power Adapter into a Working Power Outlet
Now that the Xtreme 2 and its JBL AC adapter are connected, we plug the charger into a functioning AC outlet, as shown next.
At least one of the battery status lamps lights on the speaker when everything is working correctly. Five lamps on this speaker light in succession as battery charge progresses.
5. Let the JBL Xtreme 2 Charging Run Until All Battery Power Lights Go Off
Battery charging is almost done when only the last of the battery status lights light is blinking. The last then blinks for several minutes more to top off the charge, as shown next.
The battery charging cycle finishes when all battery status gauge lights go out, as shown next.
6. Unplug the DC Cable from the Speaker to Continue with JBL Xtreme 2 Charging
7. Next, Snap Closed the Port Door
Note that unless you fully close this door, water might enter the connector area. It could then damage the electronic components inside. So, take care to fully close this port door to get the fullest water resistance.
See how this port door looks when fully closed and sealed in the next picture.
8. Done with JBL Xtreme 2 Charging !
We have now fully charged our JBL Xtreme 2 portable Bluetooth speaker. Note that the battery status gauge just after turning on the speaker after a full charging. All lamps glow, meaning that the speaker is fully recharged.
Repeat this process every fifteen hours of music play to keep its battery in good condition. We charge ours when the battery status gauge lights show just one lamp glowing.
JBL Xtreme 2 Charging Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Why Does my JBL Xtreme 2 Keep Shutting Off ?
An aging internal battery may cause this, as the battery can no longer deliver enough current to run the speaker properly. Installing a new battery often solves this issue though. To do that, we suggest that you get with a qualified electronics technician.
What’s the JBL Xtreme 2 Charging Time ?
Full charging of the speaker takes between three and four hours, depending on the state of the battery when recharging starts. This assumes that you use the charger that comes with the speaker. Other wall chargers may take longer to fully recharge the speaker.
How to Shut Off JBL Xtreme 2 ?
When the speaker is ON, the power button glows or flashes either blue or white depending on the mode it’s currently in. Press this button to shut it off. All lights should go out within a couple seconds. The speaker should also play that JBL trademark falling guitar cord sound.
How to Turn On JBL Xtreme 2 ?
No lights glow, and no sound comes from the speaker when it’s OFF. Turn it on by pressing the Power button. See the Power button location shown in the next picture.
What Does the JBL Xtreme 2 Flashing Red Light Mean?
When you see a red light blinking on the JBL Xtreme 2’s battery level gauge, this means that the battery has very little charge left, and that the speaker will shut off within an hour if not charged again. Note though that this lamp never flashes red when you connect a working charger. As you charge the speaker from an almost dead state, one of the battery gauge lamps blinks white.
Other Posts About the JBL Xtreme 2 Power Bank Speaker
- JBL Xtreme 2 Factory Reset Instructions
- JBL Xtreme 2 Firmware Update Instructions
- How to Factory Reset JBL Xtreme 2
- JBL Xtreme 2 Low Frequency Mode, Switch ON and OFF
- JBL Xtreme 2 Hard Reset Instructions
- How to Reset JBL Xtreme 2 Bluetooth Speaker
- JBL Xtreme 2 Reset Instructions to Fix Pairing Problems
- JBL Xtreme 2 Battery Life, How Long Battery Should Last
Related Posts to JBL Xtreme 2 Charging
- JBL Flip 4 Charging Instructions for Longest Play
- Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 2 Charging Instructions
- JBL Clip 3 Charging Instructions, Step by Step
- JBL Charge 3 Charging Instructions, How to Recharge
- Ultimate Ears Wonderboom Charging Instructions
- JBL Charge 4 Charging Instructions, How to Recharge
- JBL Clip 2 Charging Instructions, Clip 2 JBL Speaker
- Logitech Wonderboom Charging Instructions
- JBL Flip 2 Charging Instructions, How To Recharge
- JBL Flip 3 Charging Instructions for Longest Battery Life
References for JBL Xtreme 2 Charging
- 2020-07-12: First posted.