The Netgear WNCE2001 Universal Internet Adapter allows you to extend an Ethernet network wirelessly, via Wi-Fi. It connects to an in-range wireless network. It also provides an RJ45 Ethernet port interface to the LAN at the originating end of that Wi-Fi link. In this post, we give Netgear WNCE2001 setup instructions. We show show how to set up the adapter using the www.mywifiext smart wizard.
You then plug in a wired device to that port. Now you may see somewhat lower bandwidth due to the Wi-Fi linkage. But otherwise that port looks to any client device. It looks to your device just like a port on your main home router. So this bridging device offers a way to extend your LAN network, wirelessly. Cool stuff.
However, you may wish to change the hosting WiFi network to which this Internet adapter connects. Perhaps you changed the SSID and / or WiFi password of the hosting wireless network. Or, maybe you’d like to connect this adapter to a friend’s Wi-Fi while visiting. In either case, the routine below shows, the following with pictures.
- How to reset the Wi-Fi network and password that the WNCE2001 connects to.
- How to connect the adapter to a currently in-range wireless network.
If your adapter is new or has already been reset, then skip step 2 below.
Netgear WNCE2001 Setup Instructions for this Universal WiFi Adapter
1. Power on the Netgear WNCE2001 Internet Adapter
To begin Netgear WNCE2001 Setup, connect the adapter to power. Either plug it into to a USB power port via the included USB cable. Or, power it up with the included power supply, as pictured next.
The power lamp glows amber for three quarters of a minute, as shown next.
Then it turns green, indicating successful booting, as shown next. Note however that the WLAN (Wi-Fi) lamp is dark. This means that the adapter did not connect to any in-range wireless networks.
2. Reset the Netgear WNCE2001 Adapter
Note that to save any settings stored in the WNCE2001, then skip this step and move on to step 3. But we suggest resetting instead. Why? Because this clears out any old or faulty settings. We think it best to start the setup process from a known-good point.
Reset the Netgear WNCE2001 adapter by pressing and holding the RESET button for ten seconds. Press with a small paper clip end or rigid bag tie. But avoid pressing too hard.
The reset process has begun in earnest when the Power LED begins blinking slowly. Release the reset button when you see this.
Eventually, the blinking stops and the unit reboots with factory default settings in effect.
After just over half a minute, it finishes booting but does not connect to any wireless networks. The status lamps glow as pictured just above, with just the power lamp glowing solid green.
3. Connect your Computer
Attach the included Ethernet cable to the single Ethernet port on the WNCE2001. Then, attach the other end to the wired network port on your computer. A working Ethernet connection occurs when the LAN lamp starts glowing solid green, as shown next.
4. Check Web Browser for the Netgear WNCE2001 Setup Wizard Web Page
Plugging your computer into the WNCE2001 should automatically open your default browser to the first page of the Netgear SmartWizard. If not, then point your browser to
The following screen appears on the connected computer.
5. Enter your Language Choice to Continue with Netgear WNCE2001 Setup
Select your preferred language from the pull-down menu, and then press continue. The Wi-Fi network scan screen then appears, as shown next.
After a score or so of seconds, the Select Existing Network screen appears. It shows the list of in-range WiFi networks found in the network scan.
6. Select the Wireless Network to Connect With
In our scenario, we’ve selected the 937T681J4059H_2G network in the screen shot above. Note that its radio button is dotted (selected). Then, click the Continue button. The password entry screen appears next, as pictured next.
7. Enter the Password for the Chosen WiFi Network
Set the wireless password by typing it into the edit field as shown above. The password characters do not display; only large dots appear for each keystroke. When done, tap the Continue button. This initiates connection to the Wi-Fi network that you selected in the previous step.
Then, the following screen appears, showing that progress.
After a score of seconds, the WNCE2001 connects to the selected Wi-Fi network. If you entered its password correctly, and the wizard then displays the Review Settings screen, as shown next.
8. Check WiFi Network Settings to Continue with Netgear WNCE2001 Setup
Look over the Review Settings screen above. Check that the network you expected is the one that the WNCE2001 connected to. Also, look at the status lamps on the top of the WNCE2001. All three should glow solid green at this point, as pictured next.
Also, the computer used to set up this adapter is now connected, via the Wi-Fi link, to your LAN.
9. Test that the Netgear WNCE2001 Adapter Reconnects to your WiFi Network
Now, unplug the WNCE2001 from power. Wait ten seconds. Then plug it back in. Check its status lamps, to see that it again connects successfully to the wireless network you just finished linking. Again, you’ll know connection success when all three status lamps glow solid green. If this does not occur in 45 seconds, then something went wrong. Try power cycling again. Then if the unit still does not connect, then try going through this entire routine once more.
10. Connect the WNCE2001 to the Client Device Where you Need It
We linked our adapter to a Sangean WFR-20 internet radio, using its wired port, as pictured next. If your client device works as ours did here, you’re finished. Enjoy your newly set up Netgear WNCE2001 universal internet adapter.
11. Done with Netgear WNCE2001 Setup !
We have now finished the Netgear WNCE2001 setup routine.
Firmware Versions Tested
We wrote the comments in this guide for the WNCE2001 running the following firmware version(s):
- Firmware version: V188.8.131.52NA; GUI language version: V184.108.40.206
Related Posts to Netgear WNCE2001 Setup
- Netgear WNCE2001 Reset Instructions
- Reset WiFi Network on Netgear WNCE2001 Universal Internet Adapter
- Netgear Universal WiFi Internet Adapter WNCE2001 Review
- Alexa Echo Subwoofer Setup Instructions for Amazon Echo Sub Speaker
- Sangean WFR 20 Tabletop WiFi Internet Radio Picture Gallery
- Netgear EX3700 Setup Instructions, How To
- Echo Dot 3 Setup Instructions for Amazon Alexa 3rd Generation Dot
- Netgear WNDR3700v4 N600 Dual Band Router Review
- Honeywell Thermostat WiFi Setup RTH8580WF
- Netgear WN2500RP N600 WiFi Extender Booster Review
- Echo Spot WiFi Setup Instructions
- Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 2 Setup Instructions
References for Netgear WNCE2001 Setup
- User Manual
- Wireless LAN Bridges on Wi-Fi Planet
- Where to buy the Netgear Universal WiFi Internet Adapter WNCE2001
- 2019-03-29: Added key phrase targeting and tags.
- 2017-02-25: Originally published.