This post demonstrates pairing JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker with iPhone iPad iPod iOS devices, including the iPhone, iPod Touch, and the iPad Air line of Apple phones and tablets.
Pairing JBL Flip 3 with iPhone iPad iPod iOS Devices
With your JBL Flip 3 powered off (power button is dark), run through this routine to pair it to your iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch iOS mobile device. We’re using an iPad Air tablet for this demo.
1. Navigate to the Home Screen on your iOS Device
Press the Home button to reveal the mobile iOS device’s Home screen. Shown next.
2. Find the Settings App
We found ours on the second page of the iOS home screen on our iPad Air running iOS 11.4.1, as shown next.
3. Bring up the Settings App
Tap the Settings app icon.
The iOS device then displays the first page of its settings, as shown in the next step.
4. Go to Bluetooth Settings
Our Bluetooth settings screen displays, similar to the following.
Note that our Bluetooth is enabled here. But since JBL Flip 3 speaker is currently powered OFF, it does not show up in the Bluetooth devices list. Also, we don’t see it since we’ve never paired our Flip 3 with the iPad Air before. See this as shown in this list of previously paired Bluetooth devices, shown next.
5. Turn On your JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker
Turn on the JBL Flip 3 by quickly pressing its Power button. See this circled in green, in the next picture.
The speaker then powers up.
But since our iPad does not know about this speaker, the Flip 3 will not pair with it automatically. The light that comes on in the power switch denotes this not-paired state by glowing solid white, as shown next.
6. Put your JBL Bluetooth Speaker into Discovery Mode
Now, to see your JBL Flip 3 speaker on your iOS device, place the speaker into Bluetooth discovery mode. To do that, press and release the Bluetooth button, as shown in the next picture.
When you press the Bluetooth Discovery Mode button, the speaker makes a repeating single pluck guitar note sound several times. Also, the power button changes from a white glow to flashing blue. See this next.
7. Find your JBL Flip 3 on your iOS Device
See the screen shot next. We found our speaker, as pointed at by the blue arrow.
8. Pair with your JBL Flip 3 Portable Speaker
Tap the listed speaker in the Other Devices section of the Bluetooth devices list.
Your iOS device then pairs with the Flip 3 (“Tom’s Flip 3” in this demo). The iOS device’s Bluetooth Settings screen then changes to look something like the following.
We have now successfully paired our JBL Flip 3 portable speaker with our iPad iOS device. Similar routines work with pairing iPod Touch players, iPad Pros, and any iPhones as well so long as they support Bluetooth.
- How to Pair JBL Xtreme with Amazon Alexa Echo Speakers, 2019
- JBL Charge 3 How to Pair with iOS Devices, iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch
- How to Pair Echo Dot with Bluetooth Speaker, Echo Dot 2
- Pairing JBL Flip 3 Splashproof Speaker with Victor Reader Trek
- How to Pair JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth Speaker with iOS Devices, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
- Pairing JBL Clip 3 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker with iOS Devices, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
- Ultimate Ears Wonderboom Pairing Instructions
- How to Pair JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker with iOS Devices
- Pairing UE Roll with iPhone, How To
- Bluetooth Won’t Connect to JBL Flip, Discussed in the Apple Community
- JBL Flip 3 Splashproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker, Black, on Amazon.com
- 2019-03-30: Shortened post URL and the targeted key phrase.
- 2018-08-26: First published.