As poor-performing as the SHQ1000-28s are in my view, Philips did a complete turnaround when they developed these Philips SHQ3000 Action Fit Earhook Sports Headphones. A definite improvement, these Action Fit in-ear, in-canal headphones not only sound much better than those waterproof SHQ1000-28s, but also feature flexible earhooks that are not only comfortable, but that stubbornly hold the earbuds at the optimal position in the ear, through even the most strenuous sports-related activities and exercises. Philips traded away the waterproof feature for the greater high fidelity sound of these ported earbuds. But they left the hallmark durability and ruggedness in this sweat proof and washable model.
Unlike some of the other earhook-featuring earbuds I’ve reviewed, these Philips SHQ3000s take a more stabilizing approach to routing the audio cable. They use the earhook itself as a router, and so, have the cable exiting at the far end of the earhook, not at the bottom of the ear speaker, where even small cable jerks can dislodge the ear piece. The earhook here is a hollow tube through which the cable is routed from the ear speaker, around the outer ear, and then leaving the assembly at the bottom of the ear. This makes it far more difficult to accidentally pull out the earbud, should you get one of your pumping arms tangled in the dangling cables during your workout. This design allows the cable to leave the earbud from behind the ear, not from in front. So you have the added restraining that your ear lobe can provide, to better secure the earbud. It also means that inadvertent cable tugs will not mis-align the ear drivers so much that you’ll need to frequently readjust them to maintain the best sound. Once you put these on, they indeed stay in place until you remove them, because in this design, the outer ear absorbs much of the pulling before it gets to the bud.
Benefits, Features, Pros, and Advantages
- Sweat proof and washable. However, do not submerse these earbuds, for they are not waterproof.
- Performance guarantee. One year limited warranty.
- Durable cable and connector. 3.5mm gold-plated connector and super flexible audio cable.
- Decent sound. Frequency response: 15 – 22,000 Hz. Sensitivity: 102 DB. Maximum power input: 20 milliwatts. Impedance: 16 ohms.
- Excellent strain relief supplied at all cable exit points.
- Quite comfortable and low mass.
- Sufficiently long cords. You get just over four feet of audio cable.
- Very low microphonics. Sound and vibrations are not readily transmitted to the earbuds along the audio cable.
- Comfortable fit. Stability, high fidelity sound, and great fit accurately describe the SHQ3000s.
- Included instructions sheet. How to change the ear tips is clearly illustrated in the included instructions.
- Anti microbial ear pads. Three sizes of anti-microbial ear tips included.
- Stay in ear during exercise. Snugly fit and stability are hallmarks of this earphone set. for equipment that’s to be used during rigorous physical exercise.
- Cable clip for attaching to shirt. A cable-securing black spring-loaded clip is installed on the cable, and moveable up and down the entire cable length between the 3.5mm plug and the vertex of the Y(where the cable splits from one into two). Used to prevent excessive cable flapping during exercise, by fastening it mid-way up, to your clothing.
- Travel case included. There’s also a black carrying pouch to put your earbuds in when not in use.
- Endure most workout environments well. Work well in both indoor and outdoor exercising. However, due to the ports, avoid exposure to heavy rain.
- Noise isolating. These phones block surrounding environmental noises very little, for maximum safety while riding or jogging along busy streets and in communities.
- Stereo channels marked on each earbud. Each headphone is clearly marked at the top of the cable strain relief stem, with a white letter on a black background, that indicates either left (L) or right (R) channel.
- Virtually flat frequency response. Not overdone on the bass, and plenty of clear-sounding treble
- Attractive colors. The SHQ3000s I bought have a red cable with white-backed driver units, red strain relievers and jack body, red anti-microbial ear tips, and black stripes on the tops of the earhooks.
- Compatible with most Apple players and phones. An effective, high-performing accessory for iPod and iPod Touch media players.
- In-bed listening. Comfortable to listen to in bed, no matter what your head position is on your pillow.
- Reasonable price. I paid $25 roughly for the SHQ3000s. For that cost, I’m very impressed with the decent construction and sound.
Disadvantages, Cons, Limitations, and Problems
- Not waterproof. Don’t take them into the swimming pool.
- Insertion difficulties. A bit harder to put on than earbuds that do not include earhooks. The hooks often become tangled up with the ear pieces of my eyeglasses.
- Not very sensitive. Volume output is a bit lower than the average of other earphones I’ve tested.
- Earbuds must go into the correct ear. The left and right earbuds are not interchangeable. If you insert them backwards (right bud into left ear, and left bud into right ear), they neither fit as well, sound as good, nor are they as comfortable.
- Some audio spill. So avoid playing these too loudly on trains, planes, and busses, as other passengers will be forced to listen to your music as well.
- No mic, volume, or pause play buttons. No microphone or remote control in this model. However, as these are designed for sports applications, I expect that a remote at least, would receive little use. Since such remotes tend to feature very small buttons, it’d be hard to work them while exercising.
I’d rate these sports phones thus, at 95 out of 100. They’re durable, sound pretty spectacular, not overly expensive, and feature a one-year limited warranty. Other companies should follow Philips’ lead here, and incorporate the high-quality construction attributes in these earbuds into their own. Even non-sports earbuds could benefit from the hearty construction techniques found herein. I’d recommend these to sports enthusiasts and audiophiles alike.
Where to Buy the Philips SHQ3000 Action Fit Earhook Sports Headphones
I bought mine at Walmart. But you can find them on Amazon, eBay, and other larger online stores and outlets, Look for them in the red, white, and blue box, and the clear plastic inner packaging. A window on the front allows viewing of the headphones and some of the included accessories inside.
- Philips Website
- Philips SHQ3000 Action Fit Earhook Sports Headphones Official Product Page
- Philips SHQ3000 Headphones review from TrustedReviews
- Where to Buy the Philips SHQ3000 Action Fit Earhook Sports Headphones
- 2017-02-10: Added pictures and revised the tags list.
- 2015-12-13: Added more appropriate tags.
- 2015-10-08: Added appropriate tags.
- : Revised and extended the content.
- 2014-11-25: Added whitespace, adjusted ad placement, extended the References section, and revised the content.
- 2012-10-03: Originally published this piece.