Here, we show how to reset Echo Dot 3rd Generation Alexa smart speaker back to factory default settings and operation. So why would you ever do this? Well, you may decide to sell or give your Dot 3 to another person. Or link it to a different Amazon account. Or connect it to a different WiFi network. In all these cases, resetting is the best way to clean out all old account data from the Dot. Resetting gets it ready to use on a new account and / or Wi-Fi network.
To unlink the Echo Dot 3rd Generation from its current Amazon Alexa account, perform the routine below.
Note that if you’re just trying to fix erratic behavior of the Echo Dot Gen 3, you may not need a complete factory default reset. So, before resetting, try powering off the Dot 3 for fifteen seconds. Do this by disconnecting its power cable either from the wall outlet, or from the speaker itself. Then, wait for a quarter minute, and then plug it back in. Rebooting often restores proper operation. But if not, read on for the proper hard reset procedure.
Once reset, you’ll no longer be able to control the Echo Dot 3 from the account where you controlled it from before. To regain control via the previous account, run through the setup procedure again. There, relink the Dot 3 to that account again via the Alexa app.
Reset Echo Dot 3rd Generation to Factory Default Settings, How To
1. Attach Wall Power Cable
First, connect the Dot 3rd Generation speaker to its 12-volt power adapter cord, as shown next.
2. Next, Plug the Power Adapter into a Working Wall Outlet
See this as shown next.
Then, wait for the Echo Dot to finish powering up. It’s done when either the light ring goes completely dark, or it begins flashing orange, red, or purple.
3. Next, Press and Hold the Action Button for 5 to 10 Seconds
Depress the Action button until the light ring turns orange, and the smart speaker announces that it is entering setup mode. On this speaker, the Action button doubles as the Reset button, and is pointed at by the green arrow in the next picture.
4. Finally, What Happens After Reset?
Your Echo Dot 3rd Generation smart speaker has now been restored to its factory default settings and has entered setup mode, as shown next.
Pack it Up or Set it Up Again
You may now give your Dot 3 to another without fear that they’ll have access to the Alexa settings on your Amazon account. Or, you can set it up again on your existing account. But if selling, we suggest that you pack the speaker in its original carton if you have it, for safest transport through the mail or other delivery services, as shown in the next picture.
- Reset Echo Spot to Factory Settings, How To Hard Reset
- How to Reset Alexa Echo Gen 2 Dot Back to Factory Default Settings
- Reset Chromecast Audio to Factory Settings, How To
- Echo Dot 3 Buttons and Ports Guide, Layout, Purpose, How to Use
- Reset Echo Spot WiFi, How To Instructions
- Echo Dot 3 Adapter Specs, AC Power Adapter Info Amazon Echo Dot Gen 3 Speaker
- How to Reset Echo Dot 1st Gen
- Reset Echo Dot 2nd Generation to Factory Settings
- How to Reset Original Google Home Smart Speaker to Factory Default Settings
- Echo Dot 3 Setup Instructions for Amazon Alexa 3rd Generation Dot
- Reset Echo Dot 1st Generation, Gen 1 Echo Dot Reset
- JBL Xtreme Reset Instructions – How to Reset JBL Xtreme Speaker
- Resetting Google Home Mini Speaker Instructions
- All-new Echo Dot (3rd Gen) – Smart speaker with Alexa, on Amazon.com
- What is Amazon Echo? on Wikipedia
- 2018-12-01: First published.