Here, we show how to reset Echo Dot 3rd Generation Alexa smart speaker back to factory default settings. So why would you ever do this? Well, you may wish to sell or give your Dot 3 to another person. Or link it to a new Amazon account. Or connect it to a new WiFi network. In all these cases, resetting is the best way to clean out all old account data from the Dot. A reset gets it ready to use on a new account and / or Wi-Fi network.
To reset Echo Dot 3rd generation and unlink it from its current Alexa account, run through the routine below.
Do not always reset as a first step for fixing strange Echo Dot behavior. Before hard resetting, try turning off the Dot 3 for fifteen seconds. Do this by unplugging its power cable either from the wall outlet, or from the speaker itself. Then, wait for a quarter minute. Then plug it back in. Rebooting often restores proper working. But if not, read on for the proper hard reset procedure.
Once you reset Echo Dot 3rd generation you’ll no longer be able to control the speaker from your Amazon account. To get control of it back, run through the setup procedure again. There, relink the Dot 3 to that account again via the Alexa app.
Reset Echo Dot 3rd Generation to Factory Default Settings, How To
1. Attach Wall Power Cable
First, connect the Dot 3rd Generation speaker to its 12-volt power adapter cord, as shown next.
2. Next, Plug the Power Cord into a Working Wall Outlet
See this as shown next.
Then, wait for the Echo Dot to finish booting. It’s done booting when either the light ring goes dark, or it begins flashing orange, red, or purple.
3. Next, Press and Hold the Action Button for 5 to 10 Seconds
Press the Action button until the light ring turns orange. You should also hear the smart speaker announce that it is entering setup mode. On this speaker, the Action button doubles as the Reset button, and is pointed at by the green arrow in the next picture.
4. Finally, What Happens After Reset?
Your Echo Dot 3rd Generation smart speaker is now restored to its factory default settings. It also has entered Setup mode, as shown next.
Pack it Up or Set it Up Again
You may now give your Dot 3 to another now. Don’t fear that they’ll have access to the Alexa settings on your Amazon account. Or, you can set it up again on your existing account. But if selling, we suggest that you pack the speaker in its original carton. Do this for safest transport through the mail, as shown in the next picture. Then, pack the Echo box in another outer box for further safety.
- Reset Echo Spot to Factory Settings, How To Hard Reset
- How to Reset Alexa Echo Gen 2 Dot Back to Factory Default Settings
- Reset Chromecast Audio to Factory Settings, How To
- Echo Dot 3 Buttons and Ports Guide, Layout, Purpose, How to Use
- Reset Echo Spot WiFi, How To Instructions
- Echo Dot 3 Adapter Specs, AC Power Adapter Info Amazon Echo Dot Gen 3 Speaker
- How to Reset Echo Dot 1st Gen
- Use Echo Dot as Bluetooth Speaker, How To
- Reset Echo Dot 2nd Generation to Factory Settings
- How to Reset Original Google Home Smart Speaker to Factory Default Settings
- Echo Dot 3 Setup Instructions for Amazon Alexa 3rd Generation Dot
- Reset Echo Dot 1st Generation, Gen 1 Echo Dot Reset
- JBL Xtreme Reset Instructions – How to Reset JBL Xtreme Speaker
- Resetting Google Home Mini Speaker Instructions
References for Reset Echo Dot 3rd Generation
- All-new Echo Dot (3rd Gen) – Smart speaker with Alexa, on Amazon.com
- What is Amazon Echo? on Wikipedia
- 2019-05-03: Tuned the targeting for ‘Reset Echo Dot 3rd Generation’.
- 2019-04-19: Shortened sentences.
- 2018-12-01: First published.