You may decide to sell or give your Google Home Mini smart speaker to another person. or wish to link it to a different Google account, or connect it to a different Wi-Fi network. To unlink this device from its current Google account, to make it forget the Wi-Fi connection information and any multi-room groups it’s in, and to restore it to factory default (fresh out of the box) values, perform the following procedure.
Hard reset may not be necessary. Note that if you’re just trying to correct erratic behavior of the Google Mini speaker, a complete factory default reset may be unnecessary. So, before completely resetting, try powering off the unit for fifteen seconds, by disconnecting its DC power cable either from the wall outlet, or from the speaker itself. Wait fifteen seconds, and then power it up again. This often restores proper operation. However, if simple power cycling does not fix the problem, or if you are not trying to fix a problem but rather, wish to give the unit to someone else, then read on.
Warning. Keep in mind that once reset, you’ll no longer be able to control the Mini from the Google account where you controlled it from before, unless you run through the setup procedure again, and relink the speaker to that account once more, via the Google Home app.
Factory Default Reset Procedure
1. Connect the Google Mini speaker to AC power. After boot completes, go on to step 2.
2. Press and hold the Reset button. This button is located in the orange area on the bottom of the Mini, near the power cord USB plug.
Once one light in the row of lamps on the top glows yellow, as shown next, the assistant will warn you that you’re about to reset the device and that if you wish to abort the reset, release the reset button now. Continue holding the button in to perform the reset to factory default state.
The first yellow light then comes on, with one more turning on every few seconds until the entire row of four is lit. The reset operation begins shortly thereafter, as long as you keep the reset button firmly depressed.
Do not power off the unit during the reset, as doing so could render it unusable (bricked).
3. Release the Reset button, when the unit emits a short chime chord sound and the yellow lights go dark.
4. The reset operation begins in earnest once the lights go out and the unit remains dark for several seconds, as shown next.
After a short pause, the white lights come back on in a scanning marquee pattern for several seconds, as shown next.
5. The speaker then begins a reboot. After some seconds, the speaker again goes dark as the factory default reset completes, and the reboot after that reset begins, as shown next.
After several to ten seconds, the lights come back on, colored dim gray, and displaying a scanning pattern, as shown next, indicating that a reboot after the reset is in progress.
Several seconds into the reboot, the lights turn multi-colored as shown next.
6. Reboot finishes. Then, you hear the startup complete music and then the speaker speaks, “Welcome to Google Home. To get started, download the Google Home app on a phone or tablet.”
7. Mini then enters Setup mode, which means that the unit is now ready to accept initialization directives from the Google Home App. The speaker indicates this by displaying the four white blips across its top, in a gradually dimming and then brightening pattern, as shown in the next picture.
8. Factory default restoration is complete. You may now feel free to give your Google Home Mini smart speaker to another without fear that they’ll have access to the settings or other personal information on your Google account. Or, you can set it up again on your existing account, perhaps with a different Wi-Fi network or device name.
Once the light row turns white with the four dots glowing, the unit remains in setup mode until someone executes the published setup procedure. The speaker will not function until properly set up and linked to a Google account.
- Google Home Mini Smart Speaker Picture Gallery
- Google Home Mini Speaker Spotify Commands List
- Google Home Smart Speaker Review
- How to Change WiFi Network on Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- How to Pair Google Home Mini Speaker as a Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Reboot the Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- How to Reboot Google Home Speaker
- How to Use the Sleep Timer Feature on the Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- Unboxing a Brand New Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- USB Power Adapter Specs for the Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- 2017-10-30: Originally published.