You may decide to sell or give your Harman Kardon Invoke smart speaker to another person. Or, you wish to link it to a different Microsoft account. But then again, maybe you want to connect it to a different WiFi network. To unlink this device from its current account and Wi-Fi network, and to restore the speaker to factory default (fresh out of the box) state, perform the following Reset Harman Kardon Invoke routine.
Note that if you’re just trying to fix Invoke problems, a factory default reset may be too drastic. So before resetting, try this.
- Power off the unit for fifteen seconds. Do this by pulling out its power cable either from the wall outlet, or from the unit itself.
- Next, wait for ten seconds.
- Then power it back up.
This often restores proper working. But if not, read on for the proper hard reset procedure.
Once reset, you’ll no longer have control of the Invoke from the Microsoft account where you controlled it from before, unless you run through the setup procedure again, and relink it to that account via the Cortana app.
Now, to the reset procedure.
How to Reset Harman Kardon Invoke Voice Activated Speaker
1. Attach Power Cable
Connect the Invoke to its power adapter. Find the DC power input port on the underside of the Invoke speaker. Then, plug the other end of that cord into a working AC outlet. Wait for the speaker to finish booting before proceeding.
2. Press and Hold the Mic Mute Button Until Cortana Says, “Ready for setup.”
This usually takes her five seconds or so to completely reset and speak this message.
After she says that she’s ready for setup, factory default reset is complete, and the lights in the touch pad on the top of the Invoke display a white, back-and-forth rotating pattern, as shown next.
Now you only have several minutes to complete setup after a reset, before Invoke times out, and turns the rotating white light pattern above, into the red-light pattern shown in the next picture. At this point you may either press and hold the Mic Mute button again until the lights turn white again and she says that she’s once again ready for setup. Or, you can unplug the unit for five seconds and then reconnect it to AC power. Either technique again places the Invoke speaker into ready-for-setup mode.
3. What Happens after Reset?
Your Harman Kardon smart speaker has now been restored to its factory default settings and has entered setup mode.
4. Pack it Up or Set it Up
Feel free now to give your Invoke to another without fear that they’ll have access to the settings on your Microsoft account. Or, you can set it up again on your own account. Once the light blips on the top of the speaker turn white and begin their back-and-forth spinning, the unit stays in setup mode until someone runs through the setup routine.
Note that the Invoke will not function until properly set up and linked to a Microsoft account.
- Adjusting Volume on Microsoft Invoke Voice Activated Speaker
- How to Factory Reset Amazon Echo Dot Speakers
- Factory Reset UE Wonderboom Speaker, How To
- How to Change Wi-Fi Network on Harman Kardon Invoke Microsoft Cortana Smart Speaker
- Reset Gosund Mini Smart Plug, Hard Factory Reset
- Chromecast Audio Factory Reset Instructions
- Pairing Harman Kardon Microsoft Invoke Cortana Speaker as a Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Reboot the Harman Kardon Invoke Cortana Smart Speaker
- HP DeskJet 3630 Factory Reset, How To
- Set Up New Harman Kardon Invoke Cortana Smart Speaker Instructions
- How to Reset Microsoft Invoke Cortana Speaker, Hard Reset
- Invoke Speaker Description Page, from Harman Kardon
- Microsoft Cortana Invoke Smart Speaker at Best Buy
- 2019-04-25: Added tags.
- 2017-12-07: Originally published.