Purchased the SanDisk® Cruzer Glide™ 16 GB USB 2.0 3.0 Flash Drive at Walmart, to save some electronic manuals on.
The Cruzer Glide™ installed without difficulty, received copied data as quickly as other USB 2.0 storage drives we’ve tested, and is easy to locate, buy, plug in, and use. This flash drive accepted several gigabytes of data without producing a single error.
Gives new life to the “sneaker net” means of sharing data amongst friends, teachers, bosses, and so on, that was done widely in the ’80s and ’90s. Almost as cheap to buy as yesterday’s floppy disks, USB thumb drives like the Sandisk® one reviewed here, can be quickly loaded with confidential or otherwise sensitive data, and physically transferred by courier from place to place, just as those sneaker-wearing couriers did three decades ago with floppies. Plus, this drive comes with 128-bit AES encryption programs, that allow password protecting files stored on this drive; something you could not easily do with floppies.
Benefits, Pros, Advantages, and Features of the SanDisk® Cruzer Glide™ 16 GB USB 2.0 3.0 Flash Drive
- USB 2.0 speeds. Supports USB 2.0, for high speed data transfers to and from.
- USB 3.0 compatible. Note however, that while this flash drive will work when plugged into a USB 3.0 port, it does not run at USB 3.0 speeds.
- Compatible with popular computer brands. Works with both Windows and Apple Mac based computers.
- FAT 32 file system preinstalled. Comes pre-formatted with the FAT32 file system, for wide-spread compatibility across computers running most any version of Windows or Mac OS.
- Windows can natively format this flash drive.
- Retractable USB connector. Attached cover, that protects the USB connector when not in use. You won’t lose the cover.
- Lots of sizes. Available capacities are 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, and 256 GB currently.
- Illuminated. Has a built-in flashing orange light that shows that power is applied, and blinks during data transfers.
- Cool operation. Produces very little heat; so that means very little wasted power. Use this thumb drive in your battery-powered laptop or notebook computers, without fear of it draining your batteries much faster. Current draw is nearly non existent.
- High speed USB 2.0 transfers noted. Data transfer speeds were as snappy quick as expected for a USB 2.0 storage device.
- No additional software needed. Requires no additional or special drivers or software for most computers, to be installed when employing on a Windows based computer.
- Sandisk® SecureAccess™ software provided. This flash drive comes with file encryption software, that allows you to protect files and folders stored on this drive with a password. 128-bit AES encryption.
- Less volatile than magnetic disk storage. Data stored herein are not easily erased or corrupted by exposure to magnetic fields; unlike floppies or data tapes.
- Plenty fast for archival storage. Though data transfer speeds may be more limited with this USB device as compared with class 10 and higher SD cards, Sandisk® thumb drives are nonetheless well-suited for archival data storage, and are plenty fast enough for streaming audio and most video content. They may be a bit slower, but they’re currently significantly cheaper than SDHC and compact flash cards per gigabyte.
- Upgrade with ease. Easily replaced with a bigger USB drive when additional storage is required. This is owing to the USB standard itself and the high degree of interoperability and interchanging of devices that conform to the USB standards. For this reason et al, USB key drives have become nearly ubiquitous in so many information technology applications.
- Big enough to easily work with. USB flash drives in general are rather small in size, and so, can be easily misplaced. However, this Sandisk® storage device is over an inch long, and features a hole through which a lanyard, keychain, or other form of necklace or string can be routed and tied, to prevent loss. Plus, it is bigger than SDHC memory cards, and way larger than MicroSD memory chips, which are really too small to be accurately referred to as, “cards.”
- Two year limited warranty.
Problems, Cons, Limitations, and Disadvantages of the SanDisk® Cruzer Glide™ 16 GB USB 2.0 3.0 Flash Drive
- Its long body can be a curse in some situations. The body of this flash drive spans more than an inch. So when plugged in, it protrudes from the USB port almost two inches. Take care therefore, not to move the host computer, camera, or media player with this USB drive plugged in, as it would be easy to snap off or otherwise damage this drive, should you pass too close by a wall or corner while carrying the machine.
- No USB 3.0 speeds. This particular model does not support USB 3.0 transfer speeds, although Sandisk® does offer flash drives that do.
- Not labeled as RoHS compliant.
- Hard to retract the USB plug. Be sure to truly press the red retract-release button when moving the
- Non waterproof. The end of the USB port and the connecting prongs inside are always exposed, even when retracted.
This line of high speed flash drives is priced on the cheap side (we paid $8 for this one), and is available at Walmart, Target, and other brick and online retail outlets. Be sure to shop around to get the best deals. With USB 2.0 speeds, higher storage capacity, why would you not replace your older disc storage mediums with thumb drives like this one? Given all of that, we rate the SanDisk® Cruzer Glide™ 16 GB USB 2.0 3.0 Flash Drive at 95 out of 100.
- SanDisk® Cruzer Glide™ USB 2.0 3.0 Flash Drive Official Product Page
- What is a USB Flash Drive? on Wikipedia
- Where to buy the SanDisk® Cruzer Glide™ 16 GB USB 2.0 3.0 Flash Drive
- 2017-02-25: Originally published.