We bought the SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB USB 2.0 3.0 flash drive at Walmart, to save some electronic manuals on.The Cruzer Glide™ installed easily, received copied data as quickly as other USB 2.0 storage drives we’ve tested, and is easy to find, buy, plug in, and use. This flash drive accepted several gigabytes of data without a single error.
Gives new life to the “sneaker net” means of sharing data amongst friends, teachers, bosses, and so on. Folks shared data like this widely in the ’80s and ’90s. Almost as cheap to buy as yesterday’s floppy disks. Plus, USB thumb drives like this one, quickly load with data.
Then you can ship them by courier from place to place, just as those sneaker-wearing couriers did in the eighties with floppies. Further, this drive comes with 128-bit AES encryption programs. These allow password protecting files stored on this drive; something you could not easily do with floppies.
Benefits, Pros, Advantages, and Features of the SanDisk ® Cruzer Glide ™ 16GB USB 2.0 3.0 Flash Drive
USB 2.0 Speeds
Supports USB 2.0, for high speed data transfers to and from.
USB 3.0 Compatible
Note however, that while this flash drive will work when plugged into a USB 3.0 port, it does not run at USB 3.0 speeds.
Compatible with Popular Computer Brands
Works with both Windows and Apple Mac based computers.
FAT 32 File System Preinstalled on this SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB Flash Drive
The SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB drive comes pre-formatted with the FAT32 file system. So it works across computers running most any version of Windows or Mac OS.
Windows can Natively Format This Flash Drive
Retractable USB Connector
Attached cover, that protects the USB connector when not in use. You won’t lose the cover.
Lots of Sizes
Available capacities are 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, and 256 GB currently.
Has a built-in flashing orange light that shows that power is applied, and blinks during data transfers.
The SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB USB Flash Drive Features Cool Operation
The SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB thumb drive makes little heat. So that means very little wasted power. Thus, use this thumb drive in your battery-powered laptop or notebook computers, without fear of it draining your batteries much faster. Current draw is nearly zero.
High Speed USB 2.0 Transfers Noted
Data transfer speeds were as snappy quick as expected for a USB 2.0 storage device.
No Other Software Needed
Requires no additional or special drivers or software for most computers, to be installed when employing on a Windows based computer.
Sandisk ® SecureAccess ™ Software Provided
This flash drive comes with file encryption software, that allows you to protect files and folders stored on this drive with a password. 128-bit AES encryption.
Less Volatile than Magnetic Disk Storage
Data stored herein are not easily erased or corrupted by exposure to magnetic fields; unlike floppies or data tapes.
The SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB USB Flash Drive is Plenty Fast for Archival Storage
Though data transfer speeds arelimited with this USB device as compared with class 10 and higher SD cards, the SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB thumb drives work well for archival storage. They are plenty fast enough for streaming audio and most video. While a bit slower, these flash drives are cheaper than SDHC and compact flash cards per gigabyte.
Upgrade with Ease
Easily replaced with a bigger USB drive when you need more storage. This is owing to the USB standard itself and the high degree of interoperability and interchanging of devices that conform to the USB standards. For this reason et al, USB key drives have become nearly ubiquitous in so many information tech applications.
Big Enough to Easily Work With
USB flash drives in general are rather small in size, and so, can be easily misplaced. However, this SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB storage device is over an inch long. It has a hole through which a lanyard, key chain, or other form of necklace or string can thread, to prevent loss. Plus, it is bigger than SDHC memory cards, and way larger than MicroSD memory chips, which are really too small to be rightly referred to as, “cards.”
Two Year Limited Warranty
Problems, Cons, Limitations, and Disadvantages of the SanDisk ® Cruzer Glide ™ 16GB Flash Drive
Its Long Body is a Curse in Some Situations
The body of this flash drive spans more than an inch. So when plugged in, it protrudes from the USB port almost two inches. Take care therefore, not to move the host computer, camera, or media player with this USB drive plugged in, as it would be easy to snap off or otherwise damage this drive, should you pass too close by a wall or corner while carrying the machine.
No USB 3.0 Speeds
This particular model does not support USB 3.0 transfer speeds, although Sandisk® does offer flash drives that do.
Not Labeled as RoHS Compliant
Hard to Retract the USB Plug
Be sure to truly press the red retract-release button when moving the
The SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB Flash Drive is Not Waterproof
The end of the USB port and the connecting prongs inside are always exposed, even when retracted.
Our Rating for the SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB USB Flash Drive
This line of high speed flash drives is priced on the cheap side (we paid $8 for this one), and is available at Walmart, Target, and other brick and online retail outlets. Be sure to shop around to get the best deals. With USB 2.0 speeds, higher storage capacity, why would you not replace your older disc storage mediums with thumb drives like the SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB? Given all of that, we rate it at 95 out of 100.
Related Posts to the SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB USB Drive
- SanDisk® Cruzer Glide™ 32 GB USB 2.0 3.0 Thumb Drive Review
- PNY Attache 16 GB USB 2.0 Pen Drive Review
- Monster Digital Coppa USB Drive 16GB. Flash Drive Review
- Staples® USB 2.0 Stick Drive 64GB Review
- PNY Metal Attache 64 GB iGo USB 2.0 Flash Drive Review
References for this SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB USB Flash Drive Review
- SanDisk® Cruzer Glide™ USB 2.0 3.0 Flash Drive Official Product Page
- Where to buy the SanDisk® Cruzer Glide™ 16 GB USB 2.0 3.0 Flash Drive
- What is a USB Flash Drive? on Wikipedia
- JBL Clip 2 Charger, Which USB Charger Replacement
- iEdge USB Cable 6 Feet Cord Length Review
- How to Change COM Port Number on USB Modem, Windows 10
- How to Change USB Modem COM Port Number on Windows 10
- Best iPhone iPad Charging Station: Gearmo 10 Port Smart USB Charger
- JBL Flip 4 Charger Type, Which USB Charger to Use
- RavPower 24w Wall Charger Review, USB, Dual Port
- CE Tech Dual USB Charger Review, Model 0000-160-806
- GE Jasco USB Charger Review, Y14 Dual Port 2.1 Amp
- iEdge® Lightning USB Cable Glitter Series E-380 Review
- Belkin Lightning USB Cable, 1.2M, 4 Ft Review
- Energizer Max Battery Review, AA, AAA, C, and D Sizes
- Reset UE Roll Speaker Instructions, How to Hard Factory Reset
- 12 Volt Power Adapter Failure on External Hard Drive
- Sharp Elsi Mate Calculator EL-620 Review
- Connect Alexa to Another WiFi Network, How To
- Honeywell WiFi Thermostat Troubleshooting Help
- Setting Windows 10 Voice, Text to Speech
- 2020-04-15: Added tags.
- 2019-05-27: Added key word targeting for ‘SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB’, deleted ad scripts, and added more tags and links to some of our other posts.
- 2017-02-25: Originally published.