The original (first) Amazon Alexa Generation One Echo smart speakers now provide a sleep timer function that you can set and cancel with your voice! Here, we show using voice commands, how to set sleep timer on the Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 1 smart speaker.
The Alexa sleep timer works by asking Alexa to play an internet radio station, podcast, flash briefing, or some other streaming service. Then, once the media is streaming, you ask her play the stream for only as long as you indicate, by setting a sleep timer. And of course, be sure to substitute the wake word your speaker is set to respond to, in place of the Alexa wake word in the voice commands listed below.
How to Set Sleep Timer on Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 1
Here are some sample commands that we verified to work with the original Echo.
- Alexa, set sleep timer one hour. [She sets a sixty minute sleep timer, plays for an hour, and then goes silent.]
- Okay Alexa, set sleep timer five minutes. [The Echo 1 plays for five minutes, then stops.]
- Alexa, set sleep timer thirty minutes. [The Echo 1 plays for thirty minutes then goes silent.]
- Hey Alexa, create sleep timer ninety minutes. [Sets a sleep timer for 90 minutes, then the speaker goes quiet.]
- Alexa, cancel sleep timer. [Cancels sleep timer if one is pending.]
When setting a sleep timer, you can use verbs like Set and Create in your voice commands on the Gen 1 Echo. When removing a sleep timer, use the Cancel verb. If you ask to cancel a sleep timer when none have been set, Alexa will respond, “There’s no sleep timer set.”
When you specify a sleep time with one of the above commands, the Echo 1 will answer back as follows: “Okay. I will stop playing in [specified time].” That is, if you say, “Alexa, set sleep timer ten minutes,” to your speaker, she replies, “Okay. I will stop playing in ten minutes.”
Note that you cannot set a sleep timer on the Echo 1 unless it is playing some media.
Short and nice!
Related Posts to How to Set Sleep Timer on Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 1
- Amazon Echo Best Features List
- Do You Need Amazon Prime to Use Echo Smart Speakers
- How to Set Sleep Timer on Google Mini
- How to Adjust Volume on Amazon Echo 1st Gen Smart Speaker
- Restart Amazon Echo Instructions, How to Restart Amazon Echo Speaker
- How to Connect Amazon Alexa Echo Smart Speaker to Bluetooth Speaker
- Original Amazon Echo Smart Speaker Picture Gallery
- Spotify Alexa Commands for Controlling Spotify from Echo, Tap, and Dot Speakers
- Where is the Reset Button on the Original Amazon Echo Smart Speaker
Other Posts About Amazon Echo Alexa
- How to Find Echo Spot IP Address, for Amazon Alexa Spot Speaker
- Pairing JBL Charge 3 with Amazon Alexa Echo Dot
- How to Pair JBL Xtreme with Amazon Alexa Echo Speakers
- Echo Spot Change WiFi Instructions, Amazon Alexa
- AC Adapter Specs for Amazon Echo Generation 1 Alexa
- Echo Dot 3 Setup Instructions for Amazon Alexa 3rd Generation Dot
- Alexa Features List of Amazon Echo Capabilities and Uses
- Restart Alexa Echo Dot, How To Restart Amazon Dot
- Amazon Echo 2 Picture Gallery, Alexa Photos Images
- How to Adjust Bass on Echo Sub Amazon Alexa Subwoofer
- Echo Dot 2nd Generation Review, Amazon Alexa Dot 2
- How to Find Alexa IP Address for Amazon Echo Devices
- Alexa Echo Subwoofer Setup Instructions for Amazon Echo Sub
- Deregister Echo Dot Instructions, How to Deregister Amazon Alexa Speakers
- How to Reset Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 2 to Factory Settings
- How to Set Sleep Timer on Amazon Alexa Echo Dot
References for How to Set Sleep Timer on Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 1
- Sleep and Relaxation Sounds Skill for Amazon Alexa Echo
- About Timers & Alarms, from Amazon Alexa Help
- 2019-04-10: Added tags, subheadings, and key phrase targeting. Removed ad code.
- 2017-12-11: Originally published.