This piece gives charging instructions for the Sony SRS XB12 wireless extra bass Bluetooth speaker. Charging this unit is easy through the USB power-in port, behind the water resistant door, shown in the pictures below. Note that you can still play your XB12 BT speaker while charging it, without significantly increasing the recharge time.
First, pick a powerful enough USB power adapter, as no charger comes with the Sony SRS XB12. Next, connect a medium to high current micro USB charge cable between the speaker and that adapter. Then, plug the charger into a working wall outlet. Then after four to five hours, your XB12 finishes charging. So it’s ready to play once more for up to sixteen (16) hours before needing another recharge.
Sony SRS XB12 Charging Instructions, Step by Step
1. Choose Correctly Sized AC or Car Adapter
The charger you use should provide 5 volts and at least 0.5 amps (2.5 watts). Here, we use a Key Power model HDD15-3-PD USB power delivery system. Now as mentioned, this speaker needs 5 volts at roughly 0.5 amps to recharge fully. So the Key Power gives way more than enough current to do the job.
2. Open the Port Cover
Use a fingernail, dime, penny, or small screwdriver to work open the waterproof seal port cover on the XB12. See the closed power port door in the next picture. Be careful not to scratch the delicate seal around the inside edge of this door.
Prying open this door exposes the micro USB charging port inside, as shown next, pointed at by the green arrow.
3. Power OFF the Unit to Continue with Sony SRS XB12 Charging
Note that the SRSXB12 still charges when powered ON. But depending on how much above-and-beyond recharging capacity your charger delivers, The speaker might charge a little faster when turned OFF.
4. Plug the Micro USB Cord into the XB12
Then, plug the small end of your micro USB charge cable into the matching micro USB port, as seen in the next picture below.
5. Plug the Other End of the USB Cable into your Charger Adapter
Next, connect the A end of the USB power cable to the power adapter.
6. Plug the USB Adapter into a Functioning Wall Receptacle to Continue with Sony SRS XB12 Charging
Now that we connected the XB12 and our power supply, we then plug the mains end of the adapter into a live AC outlet, as shown next. We plugged ours into a surge protecting power strip.
The CHG lamp lights up solid orange on the speaker. And while no battery status gauge shows percentage of charge, this light means that charging is occurring, as shown next.
7. Let the XB12 Charging Continue Until the CHG Light Goes Out
Full battery charging is done when the solid CHG lamp near the bottom of the speaker turns off, as shown next.
8. Unplug the USB Charge Cable from the Speaker, to Continue with Sony SRS XB12 Charging
9. Fully Close the USB Port Door
Note that unless you snap the port flap securely, water may seep into its USB port. And, since water and electronics generally do not mix, getting the port wet might damage the sensitive connecting pins inside. So be sure to press the port door closed with enough force to fully seat it, for maximum water resistance.
10. Done with Sony SRS XB12 Speaker Charging
We have now fully charged our XB12.
Finally, repeat this recharging every sixteen hours of play, to keep the battery in top condition for years.
Other Posts About the SRS XB12 Wireless Sony Speaker
- How to Hard Reset Sony SRS XB12 Portable Speaker
- Sony SRS XB12 Buttons Explained
- How to Turn Off Sony SRS XB12 Extra Bass Speaker
- Turning On the Sony SRS XB12 Mini Speaker
- How to Pair Sony SRS XB12 Speaker with iPhone
Related Posts to Sony SRS XB12 Charging
- Wonderboom 2 Charging Recharging Instructions
- Logitech Wonderboom Charging Instructions
- JBL Flip 5 Charging Recharging Instructions
- UE Speaker Charging, Step by Step Directions
- JBL Xtreme 2 Charging Instructions
- 2021-09-21: First published.