We offer here our Sony SRS XB31 hard reset instructions, to return this Bluetooth speaker to its out-of-the-box settings. Hard resetting to factory default state takes the XB31 back to a fresh, known-good state. Plus, it blanks any earlier paired Bluetooth devices from memory. Removing these stops this speaker from pairing to any nearby Bluetooth devices. Also, you might hard reset to get it ready for sale or re-gifting, or to stop it from pairing wirelessly with devices you no longer wish it to connect with.
Sony SRS XB31 Hard Reset, Step by Step Instructions
1. Turn the XB31 ON
Press and release the Power button for a half-second or so. Find the Power button as shown in the next picture.
Then, the status light comes on, as shown next.
The speaker may make a ding-dong sounding beep when it powers up, to announce that it has paired, should it connect to a nearby device. Or it may make no sound if it does not pair. But whether the unit syncs or not, this hard reset procedure works the same way, as follows.
2. Press and Hold the Power and Volume DOWN Buttons Together
Find these buttons as shown next. They are both on the top button panel, as we point out in the next picture.
The XB31 then enters the hard reset process.
Then after about five seconds, the speaker powers OFF, and the status lamp goes dark, as shown next. So release the buttons at this point. Note that on the SRS XB31, there is no power-down sound.
3. Check that your Sony SRS XB31 Speaker Did Indeed Hard Reset
Next, power on the unit again, as detailed in step 1 above.
Note that after hard reset, the XB31 comes up in pairing mode. The Pairing Mode lamp quickly flashes blue to let you know this. E.g. See this in the next picture.
This is a signal that you may then look for this speaker on a nearby BT device, and pair to it if you so desire.
4. Done with Sony SRS XB31 Hard Reset !
The hard reset is now finished. So you may now sell or gift the speaker, or pair it again with your favorite Bluetooth devices.
After a hard reset, the XB31 no longer automatically links with any Bluetooth source device. Therefore, to restore auto linking, you first pair it manually with a device. Then after that, any time that both speaker and that device have Bluetooth turned on, and are in range, pairing automatically occurs once more.
Related Posts to Sony SRS XB31 Hard Reset
- Sony SRS XB32 Hard Resetting Instructions
- Sony SRS XB33 Hard Reset Instructions
- SRS XB41 Sony Speaker Hard Reset Instructions
- Sony SRS XB43 Hard Resetting Instructions
- Sony SRS XB13 Hard Reset Instructions
Other Posts About the SRS XB31 Sony Speaker
- How to Check XB31 Battery Life
- Making the XB31 Bluetooth Speaker Discoverable
- How to Connect Sony SRS XB31 to iPhone
- Sony SRS XB31 Button Meanings Explained
- Putting the Sony SRS XB31 Speaker into Pairing Mode
References for Sony SRS XB31 Hard Reset
- 2021-10-05: First published.