The Sony X 5 portable Bluetooth speaker is a low power model with still enough power output to hear comfortably in a small room or outside space with strikingly full sounding speech and music output.
But what does the audio power output a Bluetooth speaker has, tell you about it? Firstly, the watt is a measure of the amount of power speakers like the X 5 draw and deliver. Plus, this metric is a handy comparison measure. E.g. Typically, speakers with more power output tend to play louder than those with lower max wattages. The ones with greater power cost more, have bigger batteries and chargers, along with larger drivers. But they also offer more dynamic range, have a deeper bass response, and stereo models offer a bigger soundstage to listeners.
Thus on the whole, the more powerful the speaker, the better it sounds, even on low loudness settings. You get better clarity due to higher accuracy reproduction of the bass, midrange, and treble pieces of the music. More extra power could produce less clipping distortion as well. So, the speaker’s output wattage number is a primary indicator of speaker quality and performance, and as such, is of great interest to audiophiles and novice listeners alike.
In this case, the Sony X 5, as a small battery powered BT speaker, is a sufficiently powered system for its size. Its music power can supply the area around a coffee table well with music. See below for details on its power output.
Sony X 5 Power Output: Details
All power ratings here given in watts, RMS unless otherwise specified.
- Battery Capacity: 20.72 watt-hours (7.4 volts, 3.4 amp-hours).
- Suggested AC Charger Power: 31.25 (12.5 volts at 2.5 amps).
- Light Power: No party lamps on this model.
- Power Bank Output Power: 7.5 max (5 volts at 1.5 amps).
- Output Power Per Channel (internal battery): 1 watt.
- Output Power for Woofer (internal battery): 6.
- Total Audio Output Power (internal battery): `8.
- Total Peak Audio Power (internal battery): 11.31.
- Output Power Per Channel (external AC supply): 5.
- Output Power for Woofer (AC supply): 10.
- Total Audio Output Power (AC supply): `20.
- Total Peak Audio Power (external USB supply): 28.28.
Notes on Sony X 5 Power Output
- The Sony X 5 may not input enough enough power from the AC charger to keep the battery from discharging when playing at full volume, depending on what you’re playing on it and the sort of charger you have. So it could be that even with the unit externally powered, you could still run the battery dead. Thus on the (rare) occasions that this occurs, just stop playing the 5 for an hour or so, to let it store up some reserve power as it recharges. Then, fire it up again for continued party enjoyment.
Other Sony X 5 Posts
Related Posts to Sony X 5 Power Output Rating
- 2023-04-30: First published.