The Sony X5 portable BT speaker is a low power, mini size unit with still enough output watts to hear comfortably in a small room or yard space with strikingly full sounding speech and music output.
But what do the watts a Bluetooth speaker has, tell you about it? Firstly, the watt is a measure of the amount of power speakers like the X5 draw and deliver. Plus, this metric is a handy comparison measure. E.g. Typically, speakers with more watts output tend to play louder than those with lower max power ratings. Understandably, the ones with more audio power cost more, have bigger batteries and chargers, and larger drivers. But on the good side, they also offer more dynamic range, have a deeper bass response, and stereo models like this one, offer a bigger soundstage to listeners.
Thus on the whole, the more powerful the speaker, the better it sounds, even on low loudness settings. You get better clarity due to higher accuracy reproduction of the bass, midrange, and treble pieces of the music. More extra watts could produce less clipping distortion as well. So, the speaker’s output wattage number is a primary indicator of speaker quality and performance, and as such, is of great interest to audiophiles and novice listeners alike.
In this case, the Sony X5, as a small battery powered wireless speaker, is a sufficiently powered model for its size. Its watts can supply the area around a coffee table well with music. See below for details on its power output.
Sony X5 Watts Output: Details
All power ratings here given in watts, RMS unless otherwise specified.
- Battery Capacity: 20.72 watt-hours (7.4 volts, 3.4 amp-hours).
- Suggested AC Charger Power: 31.25 (12.5 volts at 2.5 amps).
- Light Power: No party lamps on this model.
- Power Bank Output Power: 7.5 max (5 volts at 1.5 amps).
- Output Power Per Channel (internal battery): 1 watt.
- Output Power for Woofer (internal battery): 6.
- Total Audio Output Power (internal battery): `8.
- Total Peak Audio Power (internal battery): 11.31.
- Output Power Per Channel (external AC supply): 5.
- Output Power for Woofer (AC supply): 10.
- Total Audio Output Power (AC supply): `20.
- Total Peak Audio Power (external USB supply): 28.28.
Notes on Sony X5 Watts Output
- The X5 may not input enough enough power from the power adapter to keep the battery from discharging when playing at full volume, depending on what you’re playing on it, the volume setting, and the kind of charger you have. So it could be that even with the unit externally powered, you could still run the battery dead. So on the (rare) occasions that this occurs, just stop playing the 5 for an hour or so, to let it build up some reserve power as it recharges. Then, fire it up again for continued party enjoyment.
Related Posts to Sony X5 Watts Output
Other Sony X5 Posts
- 2023-04-30: First published.