The Sony XB01 Bluetooth compact speaker has a simple battery level indicator LED near the top front right edge of the speaker grill, as shown in the following pictures. This displays battery status. E.g. Whether it’s draining or charging, or whether it’s critically low or not when discharging. But it neither reads out charging progress, nor exactly how full the battery is at a given time while charging or draining. But it does flash orange when the battery hits near-dead. In this post, we explain how to read the battery indicator lamp on the XB01.
Sony XB01 Battery Indicator: How to Read the Light
1. The Lamp is OFF
The battery lamp is dark in the following situations:
- When you power down the XB01 with no charger connected.
- When the charger IS connected but the battery finished charging to full, as shown next.
- And finally, this light is OFF when the speaker itself is powered ON, but the battery is fuller than critically low. The lamp is dark as long as the battery does not yet need charging in this case.
2. The Sony XB01 Battery Indicator Blinks Orange
With the charger unplugged, the XB01 powered ON, and the battery having very little energy left, this light starts flashing orange. The meaning here is that the speaker will soon power off due to a dead battery and that you should put it on the charge soon.
3. This Lamp Doubles as a Charging Light
This lamp also lights up solid orange (no flashing) as the XB01 charges, as we see in the next picture. On this speaker, the light glowing is the only visual way of telling that recharging is occurring. But it does not show how far along the recharging is, until it actually goes out.
Also note that this light should never blink on and off during recharging. If it does, then either your charger is not operating well, your USB cable is bad, or some problems exists inside the speaker.
4. When the Light Goes Dark While Charging, Then Charging is Done
As speaker charging continues, the light keeps glowing, But eventually, battery recharging finishes, and the lamp goes out to show this. It is OFF in this case whether the speaker itself it ON or OFF.
5. The Sony XB01 Battery Indicator Is Not a Charge Remaining Readout
When unplugged from the charger, this light becomes the battery charge left indicator. Well sort of. I.e. If it is dark when the speaker is ON, then the battery has some amount of play time left, although you cannot tell how much.
Related Posts to Sony XB01 Battery Indicator
Other Sony XB01 Posts
- 2023-03-12: First published.