The SRS XB22 Sony Bluetooth speaker is a small to medium power, desktop style unit with plenty of output watts to fill a typical size room with full sounding tunes.
But what do the watts a Bluetooth speaker has, tell you about it? Firstly, the watt is a measure of how much power the speaker consumes or outputs. Plus, this metric is a nifty comparison measure. E.g. Generally speaking, speakers with more watts of audio output tend to play louder than those with less. They cost more, have bigger batteries and chargers, along with larger drivers. They offer greater dynamic range, have a deeper bass response, and the models that do stereo offer typically a bigger soundstage and better imaging to listeners.
Thus in general, the more powerful the speaker, the better it sounds, even at lower volume. You get improved clarity due to higher accuracy reproduction of the bass, midrange, and treble musical content. More available power could mean less clipping distortion too. So, the speaker’s watts output is a primary indicator of speaker quality and performance, and as such, is of great interest to audiophiles and novice listeners alike.
In this case, the Sony XB22, as a smaller portable BT speaker, is a decently loud model for its size. Its tens of watts can fill a small to medium size room with clear music. See below for details on its power output.
Sony XB22 Watts Details
- Battery Capacity: 11.34 watt-hours (3.78 volts, 3 amp-hours).
- USB Charger Power: 7.5 2atts (5 volts at 1.5 amps), or 2.5 watts (5 volts at 0.5 amps).
- Light Power: Less than 2 watts.
- Bluetooth Standby Mode Power: Less than 0.3 watts.
- Power Bank Output Power: Not available on this speaker model.
- Total Audio Output Power on AC (RMS): 10 watts. *
- Total Peak Audio Power (both channels): 14.1 watts. *
- Output Power per Channel: 5 watts RMS. *
- Audio Output Power on Battery: Decreases as battery approaches depletion.
* = Estimated.
Notes on Sony XB22 Watts
- The system tries to conserve battery power as the battery get close to total depletion. The XB 22 does this by reducing the audio output power somewhat.
- The SRS XB22 speaker may not input enough enough power from a low power USB AC adapter to keep the battery from discharging when playing at full volume, depending on what you’re listening to. So it’s possible that even with the unit plugged in, you could still see it shut OFF unexpectedly. Thus on the (rare) occasions that this occurs, just stop playing the 22 for an hour or two, to let it build up some reserve power while charging. Then, fire it up again for continued party enjoyment.
Related Posts to Sony XB22 Watts
Other Posts About the Sony SRS XB22 Speaker
- 2022-08-24: First published.