The SRS XB31 Sony Bluetooth speaker is a moderate to medium power, desktop style unit with sufficient music watts to fill a typical size room with full sounding tunes.
But what do the watts a BT speaker has, tell us about how good it is? Firstly, the watt is a measure of how much power the speaker requires and outputs. Plus, this metric is a nifty comparison measure. Why? Because generally speaking, speakers with more watts of audio output tend to play louder than those with less.
While they do cost more, have bigger, heavier batteries and chargers, along with larger drivers and magnets, they nonetheless offer advantages. They have greater dynamic range, have a deeper bass response, and the models that play in stereo offer typically a bigger soundstage and better imaging to listeners.
Thus in general, the more powerful the speaker, the better it sounds, even at lower volume. You get improved clarity due to higher accuracy reproduction of the bass, midrange, and treble musical content. More reserve power could mean less clipping distortion too. So, the speaker’s maximum watts output is a primary indicator of speaker quality and performance. And as such, this value is of great interest to audiophiles and novice listeners alike.
In this case, the Sony XB31, as a smaller Bluetooth wireless speaker, is a decently loud model for all the bigger it is. Its watts can fill a small to medium size room with clear music. See below for details on its power output.
Sony XB31 Watts Details
- Battery Capacity: 22.2 watt-hours (7.4 volts, 3 amp-hours).
- USB Charger Power: 7.5 watts (5 volts at 1.5 amps).
- Light Power: Less than 2 watts.
- Bluetooth Standby Mode Power: Less than 0.3 watts.
- Power Bank Output Power: 5 watts (5 volts, 1 amp max).
- Total Audio Output Power on AC (RMS): 30 watts. *
- Total Peak Audio Power (both channels): 42.42 watts. *
- Output Power per Channel: 15 watts RMS. *
- Audio Output Power on Battery: Decreases as battery approaches depletion.
* = Estimated.
Notes on Sony XB31 Watts
- The system tries to conserve battery power as the battery get close to total depletion. The XB 31 does this by reducing the audio output power somewhat.
- This speaker may not input enough enough power from a low power USB AC adapter to keep the battery from discharging when playing at full volume, depending on what you’re listening to. So it could happen that even with the unit plugged in, you could still see it shut OFF unexpectedly. Thus on the (rare) occasions that this occurs, just stop playing the 31 for an hour or two, to let it build up some reserve power while charging. Then, fire it up again for continued party enjoyment.
Related Posts to Sony XB31 Watts
Other Posts About the Sony SRS XB31 BT Speaker
- 2022-08-24: First published.