The ADD button on the Sony XB41 enables you join from two to ten compatible speakers such that both play the same program. The ADD button joins two XB41s for Stereo or Double modes. It’s the bottom button on the rear buttons panel, just to the right of the WPC button, and immediately above and to the left of the USB power output port.
Sony XB41 ADD Button
How to Set Up a Stereo Pair with the ADD Button on the Sony XB41
The Stereo Pairing function lets you join two XB41s such that one plays the left channel of the stereo program, while the other plays the right channel. Now to create a stereo pair, you need two SRS XB41s. Pairing the 21 with speakers other than an identical model did not work in our tests, and the Sony documentation states that you must have two of the same model in Bluetooth range of each other for connecting the two as a stereo pair to work.
Setting Up SRS XB41 Stereo Pair Mode with the ADD Button
Now To form a stereo pair of two XB41 speakers, do as follows.
- Power up the first speaker. We’ll call this XB41 Speaker One.
- Press the ADD button on Speaker One for three seconds. The ADD light will start starts blinking white when the speaker beeps. E.g. See this lamp in the last picture above. After a few seconds, it stops flashing, and starts glowing solid white.
- Next, turn on the second XB41. I.e. Speaker Two.
- As you did on Speaker One, press and hold the ADD button on Speaker Two for three seconds. Again on this speaker, the ADD light will begin flashing just as it did on the first one. And also, it assumes a solid white glow after several seconds.
- No go to your Bluetooth source device, and connect it to the speaker pair, called “SRS-XB41”. If you do not see this device, the move your phone / tablet closer to the speaker whose Pairing lamp is flashing.
- Finally, once you connect to the new stereo pair, you can start playing music on that device. Then it will stream to that speaker pair, and you’ll hear the program in STEREO!
Reversing Stereo Channels with the ADD Button
When in Stereo Pair mode, each speaker is assigned one of the two stereo channels (either L or R). The speaker you press the button on will announce which channel is playing.
Note that there are no L and R lamps on this particular speaker. So you’ll have to rely on the voice assistance announcements as you press the ADD button, to tell you which speaker is playing which channel.
Now with the ADD button, you can reverse these assignments such that Speaker One plays the right channel while Speaker Two plays the left. To do that, simply press and release the ADD button repeatedly on either speaker until it announces the channel it will play that you desire.
Ending Stereo Pair Mode
When you’re ready to break the stereo pairing, simply press and hold the ADD button on one of the speakers for three seconds. A tone then sounds and the ADD lamp goes out, indicating that the pairing is now over.
Setting Up SRS XB41 Double Mode with the ADD Button
When two XB41 speaker operate in Double Mode, both speakers play a monaural version of the music. I.e. They both play the sum (L + R) of the left and right stereo channels.
To establish Double Mode, you set up the two speakers just like you did for stereo mode. Then, press and release the ADD button on one of the speakers until that speaker announces that it is now in double mode.
Related Posts to Sony XB41 ADD Button
Other Sony XB41 Posts
- 2023-03-28: First published.