Through the Alexa home assistant and supported smart speakers, you can control your music listening on Spotify with your voice! Ask Alexa to play a song, and album, or a public or one of your own playlists. Yes, the Amazon Echo, Dot, and Tap speakers do indeed work very well with Spotify, giving your access to all your specific Spotify account content, just for the asking.
In order to play Spotify music on your Alexa device, you first must link your Alexa device to your Spotify Premium account. See our post Spotify Setup Instructions on Amazon Echo Alexa Devices for details on how to do that.
Spotify Navigation Commands on Alexa
Whether playing albums, songs, playlists, or genres, you can control playback with the following Alexa Spotify commands.
- Alexa, mute. Sets speaker volume to zero, but playback progress continues.
- Alexa unmute. Sets speaker volume back to what it was prior to the last mute command issued.
- Alexa, pause. Stops playback.
- Alexa, resume. Picks up playback again from where you left off when you issued the last pause command.
- Alexa, play Spotify. Starts Spotify again from where you were playing the last time you listened to Spotify content.
- Alexa, stop. Stops Spotify playback.
How to Play a Particular Song by a Particular Artist on Spotify
Got a favorite song by a specific artist? Ask Alexa to play that song from Spotify as in the following examples. The requests below all result in Alexa playing the song Fly Like an Eagle in Spotify, by the Steve Miller Band.
You may omit the artist name from the request, if no other song title, artist name, or playlist has the same name. However, you must add the artist qualifier if there are more than one items in Spotify with the same name. Otherwise, Alexa may play the wrong song for you. In the Fly Like an Eagle case though, she does play the Steve Miller version, even though versions from other artists such as Seal are also present on Spotify.
Spotify Song Title by an Artist Request Examples
- Alexa, play Fly Like an Eagle by the Steve Miller Band on Spotify.
- Alexa, play the Steve Miller Band, Fly Like an Eagle on Spotify.
- Alexa, play Fly Like an Eagle on Spotify.
How to Play a Certain Album on Spotify
You can request a specific album by a specific artist from Spotify, as shown in the examples next. The requested album then plays, in the correct order, from beginning to end, without any inter-song gaps in those albums that feature one long continuous recording, that’s subdivided into tracks for easier navigation (such as live albums or certain studio recordings like Pink Floyd’s The Wall album).
You can skip around within the album by saying, Alexa Previous, and Alexa Next commands. While asking for specific track numbers within the album does not yet work,
- Alexa, play Fly Like an Eagle album by Steve Miller Band on Spotify.
- Alexa, play Steve Miller Band, Fly Like an Eagle album on Spotify.
- Alexa, play the album Fly Like an Eagle, by the Steve Miller Band on Spotify.
How to Play a Group of Songs by a Specific Artist / Composer on Spotify
Got a favorite artist or group? Ask Alexa to play all the songs by that artist that Spotify offers, as in the following examples. Here, the following requests all result in Alexa playing the songs in Spotify by the Steve Miller Band.
if the artist name you’re requesting is also a popular title of a song (the group name Middle of the Road for example, is also the title of a popular 1984 song by the Pretenders), then Alexa may play the wrong song for you. To eliminate the ambiguity, just add the “songs by” phrase to the above request, as in the next example.
Spotify Play Artist Request Examples
- Alexa, play Steve Miller Band on Spotify
- Alexa, play songs by Steve Miller Band on Spotify.
- Alexa play songs by Andy Gibb on Spotify.
- Alexa, Play Andy Gibb on Spotify.
How to Play a Playlist on Spotify
If you’ve created personal playlists in your Spotify account, or if you just want to play the public Spotify playlists already out there (such as the Spotify Teen Party playlist), you can ask Alexa to play them as follows. You just need to know the name of the playlist you wish to hear, and then ask her to play that playlist.
Spotify Playlist Requests by Playlist Name
- Alexa, play my Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep playlist on Spotify. Starts playing the recording in the Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep playlist from Spotify.
- Alexa, play Spotify playlist Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep.
- Alexa, play Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep playlist on Spotify.
- Alexa, play the Spotify Teen Party playlist.
- Alexa, play the Discover Weekly playlist on Spotify.
How to Play a Specific Musical Genre on Spotify
Just ask for the genre you wish, and Alexa will play a bunch of songs from that genre from albums that she believes conform to that genre. No telling what you’ll get though, unless you’ve already tried this once so that you know what’s coming. Also, what you’ll hear will frequently change, as new music is added and categorized and tagged on Spotify.
Spotify Play Genre Request Examples
- Alexa, play some jazz on Spotify.
- Alexa, play popular music on Spotify.
- Alexa, play country music on Spotify.
- Alexa, play dance music on Spotify.
- Alexa, play 90s music on Spotify.
- How to Get Alexa to Play Spotify Playlists
- How to Unlink Spotify from Alexa
- Spotify Setup Instructions on Amazon Echo Alexa Devices
- How to Play Spotify Music on the Amazon Echo from HowToGeek
- Spotify on Amazon speakers from Spotify.com
- 2017-12-27: Added link to our How to Get Alexa to Play Spotify Playlists post.
- 2017-02-11: Originally published.