Bought the PNY Staples® USB 2.0 64 GB Stick Drive, at Staples® of course, to create a recovery drive for a new laptop computer that a customer just bought.
This stick drive installed without any problems, received copied data as quickly as other high speed USB storage drives we’re used to playing with, and is easy to locate, plug in, and use. The drive accepted over sixteen gigabytes of recovery file system data without producing any errors whatsoever.
This Staples® stick drive simplifies and provides a highly economical way of sharing data amongst friends, teachers, bosses, and so on. At just $8, it’s almost as cheap as yesterday’s CD ROM disks and way cheaper than yesteryear’s portable hard disk drives. USB drives like this one, can be quickly loaded with music, pics / photo, video, documents, spread sheets, or any confidential data you wish, and physically transferred by courier from place to place, just as those sneaker-wearing couriers did three decades ago with floppies (the infamous sneaker net).
Benefits, Pros, Features, and Advantages of the Staples® 64 GB USB 2.0 Stick Drive
- USB 2.0 for fast file transfers. Supports USB 2.0, for high speed data moving to and from. We experienced data transfer speeds were as snappy quick as hoped for in a USB 2.0 storage device.
- Works with many types of digital devices. Can store media for smart televisions, car stereos, home theater systems, any portable media player that supports USB storage, laptops / notebooks, smart phones, and tablet computers.
- Popular operating systems supported. Works with both Windows and Apple Mac based computers. Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8 / 10. MacOS 10.
- Device drivers automatically install. No additional CD ROMs or online downloads required. Windows OS based computers immediately recognize this device when plugged into them, and configure themselves with the necessary driver software. Software installation completes in less than 45 seconds.
- Bright, flashing red data light, that shows when data are being read and written to this USB stick.
- Already formatted. Comes pre-formatted for wide-spread compatibility across computers running most any version of Windows, Linux, or Mac OS. Also means that you do not have to spend any time formatting when you take this stick out of the package; can be a real time saver.
- Cool to slightly warm operation over long periods. Produces very little heat; so that means very little wasted power. Use this in your battery-powered laptop or notebook computers, without fear that it will significant increase the drain on your batteries. Current draw is nearly non existent.
- Limited 2 year warranty. Given how quickly we outgrow data storage devices these days, it’s useful that Staples® offers such a warranty with this stick drive, that covers the typical period of time that this thumb drive will likely remain useful.
- Free technical support. Call 1-800-425-0049.
- Requires no additional or special drivers or software to be installed when employing on a Windows based computer.
- Truly non volatile data storage. Data stored herein are not easily erased or corrupted by exposure to magnetic fields; unlike floppies or data tapes.
- Physically large and easy to find. Stick drives in general are rather small in size, and so, can be easily misplaced. However, this Staples® storage device is bigger than SDHC memory cards, and way larger than MicroSD memory chips, which are really too small to be accurately referred to as, “cards.” Hard to misplace
- Easy to grab form factor. Longer and thicker than the SD (Secure Digital) family of memory cards, and so, is more difficult to lose.
- Well suited for archival data storage. Though data transfer speeds may be more limited with this USB device as compared with class 10 and higher SD cards, PNY flash drives are nonetheless well-suited for archival data storage, and are plenty fast enough for streaming audio and most video content.
- Spring loaded, latching retractable cover. A plastic cover slides down over the USB connector, and when slid into the open position, it locks into place for easier plug-in to a computer.
- Upgrade friendly. Easily replaced with a bigger USB drive when additional storage is required. This is owing to the USB standard itself and the high degree of interoperability and interchanging of devices that conform to the USB standards. For this reason et al, USB thumb drives have become nearly ubiquitous in so many Information Technology applications.
Problems, Cons, Disadvantages, and Limitations of the Staples® 64 GB USB 2.0 Stick Drive
- Sticks way out. The body of this Staples® stick drive spans significantly more than two inches, and when plugged in, protrudes from the USB port almost two inches. So, take care not to move the host computer with this USB drive plugged in, as it would be easy to snap off or otherwise damage this drive or the USB port on the computer, if you pass too close by a wall or corner while carrying the computer.
- No USB 3.0 support. This particular model does not support USB 3.0 transfer speeds, although it will still work when plugged into a USB 3.0 port. But it will still operate at only USB 2.0 speeds.
- Data loss or corruption not covered by warranty. Not unusual for any data storage manufacturer to limit liability in this way. Few, if any, offer free protection against data mutilation.
This Staples® line of high speed stick drives is priced on the cheap side at $8 per copy, and is available at Staples® stores, nationwide. With faster speeds, higher storage capacity, and notably superior durability, why would you not seek to replace your older disc storage mediums with portable solid state storage like this one from Staples®? We therefore rate this stick drive at 97 out of 100.
- Official Staples® 64GB USB 2.0 Stick Drive Product Page
- Staples® Flash Drives on Sale, Official Store Web Site
- 2017-02-28: Originally published.