You may decide to sell or give your Google Home Mini smart speaker to another person. Or, you want to link it to a different Google account or a new WiFi network. Well, to unlink this smart speaker from its current Google account and WiFi, a Google Home Mini reset does the trick. Finally, a reset restores the Mini to factory default (fresh out of the box) values. Follow these instructions to reset the Mini when you need to do this.
Consider These Cautions and Warning before Resetting
Google Home Mini Reset may Not be Necessary
Note that if you’re just trying to correct erratic behavior of the Google Mini speaker, you may not need to reset. So, before resetting, try powering off the unit for fifteen seconds. Then wait fifteen seconds. Next, power it up again. This often restores proper working. But if simple OFF ON switching does not fix the problem, or you really must reset, then read on.
Warning: Resetting Erases Speaker Data
Keep in mind that once reset, you’ll no longer be able to control the Mini from the Google account where you controlled it from before, unless you run through the setup procedure again, and relink the speaker to that account once more, via the Google Home app.
Google Home Mini Reset to Factory Default Settings
1. Connect the Google Mini Speaker to AC Power
After boot completes, go on to step 2.
2. Press and Hold the Reset Button
This button is located in the orange area on the bottom of the Mini, near the power cord USB plug.
Once one light in the row of lamps on the top glows yellow, as shown next, the assistant will warn you that you’re about to reset the device and that if you wish to abort the reset, release the reset button now. Continue holding the button in to perform the reset to factory default state.
The first yellow light then comes on, with one more turning on every few seconds until the entire row of four is lit. The reset operation begins shortly thereafter, as long as you keep the reset button firmly depressed.
Do not power off the unit during the reset, as doing so could render it unusable (bricked).
3. Release the Google Home Mini Reset Button
Let go of the Reset button when the Google Mini plays a short chime chord sound and the yellow lights on top go dark.
4. The Factory Hard Reset Begins
Reset starts once the lights go out and the Home Mini speaker stays dark for several seconds, as shown next.
After a short pause, the white lights come back on in a scanning marquee pattern for several seconds, as shown next.
5. The Google Speaker Then Begins a Reboot
After some seconds, the speaker again goes dark as the factory default reset completes.
Then, the reboot after that reset starts, as shown next.
After several to ten seconds, the lights come back on, colored dim gray, and displaying a scanning pattern, as shown next, indicating that a reboot after the reset is in progress.
Several seconds into the reboot, the lights turn multi-colored as shown next.
6. Reboot Finishes
Then, you hear the startup complete music and then the speaker speaks, “Welcome to Google Home. To get started, download the Google Home app on a phone or tablet.”
7. The Google Home Mini Then Enters Setup Mode
This means that the speaker can now accept initialization directives from the Google Home App. The speaker shows four white blips across its top to tell us this, in a dimming then brightening pattern. See this in the next pic.
8. Google Home Mini Reset is Done
You may now feel free to give your Google Home Mini smart speaker to another without fear that they’ll have access to the settings or other personal information on your Google account. Or, you can set it up again on your existing account, perhaps with a different Wi-Fi network or device name.
Once the light row turns white with the four dots glowing, the unit remains in setup mode until someone executes the published setup procedure. The speaker will not function until properly set up and linked to a Google account.
- How to Factory Reset Google Home Original Speaker
- Google Home Mini Speaker Spotify Commands List
- How to Connect Google Home to Honeywell Thermostat
- Setting Up Google Home Mini Instructions
- Delete Google Home Recordings, How To
- How to Clear Settings on Honeywell Thermostat
- Google Home Smart Speaker Review
- How to Use the Sleep Timer Feature on the Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- Unboxing a Brand New Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- Google Home Mini USB Power Adapter Specs
- Unlink Pandora from Google Home, How To
- How to Set Default Music Provider on Google Home
- Google Home Official Help and Support Page
- Factory Data Reset (FDR) Google Home. from Google Support
- Google Home on Wikipedia
- 2019-05-12: Tweaked the keyword targeting for ‘Google Home Mini Reset’ and added tags.
- 2017-10-30: Originally published.