Here, we demonstrate how to unpack a brand new Google Home Mini voice activated speaker. Not many non intuitive steps here. Just avoid opening the box bottom side up, so that the speaker inside does not fall out and become damaged as it hits the floor. We also suggest unpacking any sensitive electronic device close to or on the floor, preferably a carpeted floor, to completely eliminate the possibility of it falling from a higher-than-safe distance as well as to soften any shocks in case it does fall. We unboxed our Mini on our kitchen floor.
1. Find the Perforated Seal Tab
We point this out with the purple arrow in the next picture.
2. Tear Off the Perforated Seal Strip
Pull the tab from left to right. The removed seal strip is shown in the next picture. This releases the box top for easy opening in the next step.
3. Lift the Lid on the Top of the Box
This allows for access to the Mini speaker inside, as shown next.
4. Lift the Google Mini Speaker Out of the Box
Grasp the Mini on its sides and gently pulling upward. The speaker is approximately the size of a small cheeseburger, as shown next, held in hand.
5. Then, Lift the White Plastic Speaker Holder Out of the Box
This reveals the accompanying pamphlets inside, as shown next, including the “Let’s get started.” guide.
6. Remove the Manuals and Pamphlets
from inside the box. You’ll then see the USB power adapter underneath them.
7. Pull Out the AC USB Power Adapter
It lifts up from the cardboard “outlet” that holds it inside the box, as shown next.
8. Check for Correct Box Contents
Make sure that you’ve found the speaker itself, the guide pamphlets, and the power adapter, as shown next.
9. Find the Micro USB Power Port on the Google Mini Speaker
The micro USB port is shown in the next picture, pointed at by the purple arrow.
10. Insert the Male Micro USB Plug into the Mini’s Power Port
as shown next. You may have to push it with significant force to get it to completely seat in the port the first time.
11. Finally, Plug the Power Supply into a Working AC Outlet
The speaker then powers up and after roughly thirty seconds, issues the “Welcome to Google Home” announcement in a female voice. The four lights on the top of the Mini then illuminate as a slowly throbbing gray line, as shown next, indicating that the mini speaker is ready for setup. The lights will continue in this pattern until you either set up the speaker, or disconnect it from AC power.
- Google Home Mini Smart Speaker Picture Gallery
- How to Change WiFi Network on Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- USB Power Adapter Specs for the Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- How to Pair Google Home Mini Speaker as a Bluetooth Speaker
- Where is the Reset Button on Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- How to Reboot the Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- 2017-11-25: Originally published.