Here, we demonstrate how to unpack a brand new Google Home Mini voice activated speaker. Not many non intuitive steps here. Just avoid opening the box bottom side up, so that the speaker inside does not fall out and become damaged as it hits the floor. We also suggest unpacking any sensitive electronic device close to or on the floor, preferably a carpeted floor, to completely eliminate the possibility of it falling from a higher-than-safe distance as well as to soften any shocks in case it does fall. We unboxed our Mini on our kitchen floor.
1. Locate the perforated seal tab, as pointed at by the purple arrow in the next picture.
2. Tear off the perforated seal strip by pulling the tab from left to right. The removed seal strip is shown in the next picture. This releases the box top for easy opening in the next step.
3. Lift the lid on the top of the box. This allows for access to the Mini speaker inside, as shown next.
4. Lift the Google Mini speaker out of the box by grasping it on its sides and gently pulling upward. The speaker is approximately the size of a small cheeseburger, as shown next, held in hand.
5. Then, lift the white plastic speaker holder out of the box. This reveals the accompanying pamphlets inside, as shown next, including the “Let’s get started.” guide.
6. Remove the included manuals and pamphlets from inside the box. You’ll then see the USB power adapter underneath them.
7. Pull out the power adapter from the cardboard “outlet” that secures it inside the box, as shown next.
8. Verify the box contents, making sure that you’ve found the speaker itself, the guide pamphlets, and the power adapter, as shown next.
9. Locate the USB power port on the speaker, as shown in the next picture, pointed at by the purple arrow.
10. Insert the male micro USB connector into the speaker’s power port, as shown next. You may have to push it with significant force to get it to completely seat in the port the first time.
11. Finally, plug the power adapter into a working AC outlet. The speaker then powers up and after roughly thirty seconds, issues the “Welcome to Google Home” announcement in a female voice. The four lights on the top of the Mini then illuminate as a slowly throbbing gray line, as shown next, indicating that the mini speaker is ready for setup. The lights will continue in this pattern until you either set up the speaker, or disconnect it from AC power.
To connect the mini to your Wi-Fi network and your Google account, set it up by following our post, which we’ll publish shortly and link to here.
- Does Google Home Mini Speaker Have Bluetooth Yet?
- Google Home Mini Smart Speaker Picture Gallery
- Google Home Mini Speaker Spotify Commands List
- How to Change WiFi Network on Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- How to Pair Google Home Mini Speaker as a Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Reboot the Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- How to Reset Google Home Mini Smart Speaker to Factory Default State
- USB Power Adapter Specs for the Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- Where is the Reset Button on Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- 2017-11-25: Originally published.