Pretty simple packaging for the Amazon Echo Generation 2 Alexa smart speaker. Very easy to unbox, power up, and prepare it for setup, as we’ll, demonstrate next.
For our vision impaired and blind readers, this improved version of the Alexa enabled Amazon Echo speaker comes in a turquois box, with pictures of the device on the front along with printed lists of key features, commands, and capabilities of this smart speaker.
Now, to the unboxing.
1. Remove box from plastic bag. Locate the tape that secures the bag closed, as shown in the next picture, and gently pull an end of it until it separates completely from the bag.
2. Locate the sealing tape the box itself, as shown next. There’s a tab near the left edge of the box, that facilitates easier tape peeling off.
3. Remove the box sealing tape, as shown next.
4. Lift up the box top, as shown next, revealing a black, inner packing carton.
5. Locate the pull tab on the inner carton, as shown next. They provide this tab to allow easy pulling out of the inner carton from the outer box, as we’ll do in the next step.
6. Lift the inner carton out of the box, as shown next, by grasping the tab on the inner carton top, holding the box in place with the other hand, and gently pulling the inner carton out.
7. Remove the speaker from the inner carton, as shown next.
8. Remove plastic wrap from speaker, as shown in the next pictures.
9. Remove the power adapter and pamphlets from the box part of the inner carton, as shown next.
10. Verify that you got everything you’re suppose to receive. As shown next, you should have the Echo Gen 2 speaker itself, the power adapter, and a couple of pamphlets with getting-started instructions and other important information.
11. Connect the power adapter to the speaker power port. Unwrap and untangle this cord first. Then, insert the DC power connecter (small end of the power adapter cable) into the power port on the speaker, as shown in the next picture.
12. Then, plug the speaker into a working AC outlet, as shown next.
The speaker then boots up, as shown above, with its light ring aglow in blue and turquois.
After ten to twenty seconds, the Echo 2 then enters setup mode, as indicated by the orange-yellow rotating light blip around its light ring.
If you don’t see the orange-yellow glow around the light ring after a minute or so, or if you see a magenta or other light pattern, then try resetting the speaker to factory default state. We’ll provide a post on how to do that presently.
However, if you’re seeing the orange-yellow light, then proceed to the next step.
13. Setting up your Amazon Gen 2 Echo smart speaker. This involves connecting the Echo 2 to your Wi-Fi network, registering it in the Alexa app, and setting various speaker preferences.
- 2017-12-07: Originally published.