Many Honeywell smart home thermostats, have a lock screen mode. This keeps anyone from messing with t-stat settings without first putting in a password. You set this pass code when locking your t-stat. Then, to unlock it, the t-stat asks you to enter this secret code to again have full control over settings such as WiFi, temperature, scheduling, and other HVAC settings. So here we give instructions on unlocking Honeywell thermostat. We show this on the RTH9580WF programmable WiFi thermostat.
This demo begins with our t-stat locked. We also assume that the t-stat is showing its Home page.
How to Unlock a Honeywell RTH9580WF Smart Thermostat
1. On the Home Screen, Tap the MENU Option
Find the MENU button in top right corner of that page. Note that even when the t-stat is locked, the MENU button still works.
This then displays the main menu page. Keep in mind that you might have to press the down-arrow button several times to reach the Security Settings option.
The next picture shows the main menu, already scrolled, to show the Security Settings item.
2. Tap the Security Settings Option
A password protected Honeywell thermostat then shows the Please enter your password prompt screen, as shown next.
3. Enter the Pass Code
Enter the code you assigned when you set up the password. In this scenario, our security code was 2752. So, we used the up and down arrows above and below each number position to enter the correct digit for each position.
This is shown in the next screenshot. Again, unlocking allows access to the Security Settings menu. There you can either fully unlock, partially lock, or remove the password altogether.
4. Press the Done Button
Tap Done once you’ve punched in the pass code, the thermostat then shows the Security Settings screen, as shown next.
From here, you could choose either of the following.
- Delete the Security Settings password.
- Change the lock mode while leaving the existing password in place.
You need not remove the password to unlock the thermostat. Nor must you change the lock mode in order to remove the password.
5. Tap the Change Lock Mode Button
This again displays the Change Lock Mode screen, that shows the Fully Locked option highlighted in blue.
6. Tap the Unlocked Button
This unlocks the thermostat and returns you to the Security Settings screen, as shown next.
7. Tap the Previous Menu Button
This returns you to the main menu as shown next. Note that all menu items are now available. Verify this by scrolling down through them. If you see the following items such as…
- Create Schedule.
- Color Themes.
- Temporary Schedule Changes.
- WiFi Setup.
- System Setup.
If you do see these, then you have successfully unlocked your Honeywell thermostat.
You are now free to change any setting you wish on the main menu. Thermostat unlocking is now complete.
- Locking Honeywell Thermostat Instructions
- How to Change Honeywell Thermostat Temperature Setting
- Set Temperature Range Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF
- How to Fix Honeywell Thermostat Not Following Schedule
- Turn Off Permanent Hold on Honeywell Thermostat, How To
- How to Reconnect Honeywell Thermostat to WiFi
- How to Reset Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF to Factory Default
- Setting Temperature Differential, Honeywell Smart Thermostat RTH9580WF
- How to Connect Honeywell Thermostat to Google Home
- Honeywell Dial Thermostat Pictures
- Ultimate Ears Wonderboom Charging Instructions
- How to Clear Settings on Honeywell Thermostat
- I need to unlock a locked screen on a RTH9580WF Honeywell from JustAnswer.com
- Locked out of RTH9580WF, now what? from ThermostatForums.com
- 2020-04-02: Added tags.
- 2019-03-03: Posted for the first time.