We know of no way to directly update Amazon Echo firmware on many of the Alexa Echo smart speakers. Instead, that process appears to be automatic. I.e. They update quickly on their own when Amazon pushes new firmware. This usually occurs within a couple hours. Or at worst, you might receive the update within a couple days of release.
But you can get your speaker to update almost right away. You might do this when you know that an update has just been published, and you’re trying to solve a software related issue with it.
Update Amazon Echo Firmware Instructions
Firstly, these speakers, including all the Dots and Echos, update themselves under the following conditions:
- After a new firmware revision comes out.
- When they’ve processed no requests for at least thirty minutes.
Note though that this method likely does not work on the Tap, as its microphone is normally muted. On that speaker, you must press the actions button to get Alexa’s attention.
So you can force a sort of scheduling of an update as follows.
1. Power Up your Echo
Make sure the unit is running and that it connects to the internet.
2. Tap the Mic Off Button
This mutes the speaker’s microphones. Muting assures that the Echo will neither hear nor respond to any commands. The light ring turns red. This means that the microphone is indeed OFF.
3. Wait at Least Thirty Minutes
The firmware update may occur thirty minutes after you muted your Echo mic. But updating might take as long as a day or more to run. So be patient. You’ll eventually get the update. Or try muting the speaker overnight, when not watching it.
4. Check that Update Amazon Echo Firmware has Happened
After a software update, these speakers reboot themselves. You’ll see the light ring running through its patterns during reboot, as pictured next. Also, the speaker may emit several crackles and pops during the update.
Other Posts About the Amazon Echo Speaker
- How to Connect Amazon Echo to WiFi
- Spotify Setup on Amazon Echo Alexa
- Echo Spotify Commands List for Amazon Echo Speakers
- Factory Reset Amazon Echo Instructions, How to Hard Reset
- Amazon Echo Reset Button, Where to Find It
Related Posts to Update Amazon Echo Firmware Instructions
- AC Power Adapter Specs for the Amazon Echo Generation 2 Alexa Smart Speaker
- Amazon Echo Gen 2 Smart Speaker Picture Gallery
- How to Connect Alexa to WiFi Internet
- Spotify Alexa Commands for Controlling Spotify from Echo, Tap, and Dot Speakers
- Charge 3 Firmware Update, How To, Tips, Help
References for Update Amazon Echo Firmware Instructions
- Alexa Device Software Updates, from Amazon Help
- Check & Update Your Alexa Device Software, from Amazon Help
- 2019-02-24: Added key phrase targeting and tags.
- 2017-12-12: Originally published.