Here, we demonstrate updating firmware on JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth speaker. The process can take fifteen to twenty minutes depending on the speed of your Wi-Fi internet connection, source device used to update the speaker, distance between speaker and source mobile device, and so on. Plus, the update is irreversible once done. That is, you’ll be unable to return to the previous firmware version after you complete this upgrade. So, be sure that you indeed wish the upgrade and have considered all of its ramifications before going ahead with installing the new firmware.
Prepare for Updating Firmware on the JBL Flip 3
You’ll need the following items:
- Broadband internet connection,
- Bluetooth enabled mobile or desktop computer device,
- The JBL Connect Plus (Connect+) app that runs on said mobile device,
- the JBL Flip 3 speaker you’re upgrading.
- Compatible USB power adapters and charge cables for your speaker and mobile device.
So, get your mobile device connected to the internet, and install the Connect+ app if you haven’t already.
Then, connect your JBL Flip 3 to AC power. Why? Because we don’t want its battery dying during the update. A fading battery could leave a corrupted version of the firmware in the speaker’s memory, and brick the speaker, rendering it useless and not repairable. Do the same for your mobile device as well, for the same reason. Connect both device and speaker to AC power.
Be sure to unpair any other Bluetooth speakers from your mobile device during this firmware updating process.
Then, power up your speaker and mobile device, if not already powered ON.
Next, pair your mobile device with the JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth speaker.
You are now ready to begin the firmware updating on that wireless speaker.
Updating Firmware on JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker, How To
1. Connect the JBL Flip 3 to AC Power if Not Done Already
We connected our JBL Flip 3 to an AC outlet using the USB power adapter we received in another JBL speaker, as well as the cable we received with this speaker. See this in the next picture.
2. Find the JBL Connect+ App on your Mobile Device
We found ours on the fourth home page in our Apple iPad Air, as shown next.
3. Run the JBL Connect+ (JBL Connect Plus) App to Continue with Updating Firmware on JBL Flip 3
The app takes some seconds to find the Flip 3. During that time, it shows you some pretty animations when you first start it. But eventually, it locates your paired JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth speaker and displays its status screen, as pictured next.
If the speaker does not appear in the app after thirty seconds or so, move it closer to your mobile device, close the Connect Plus app, and run it again.
Note the white explanation point inside the orange circle at the top right corner of the speaker’s image, as pointed at by the blue arrow. This means that there are important messages about this speaker pending for your to read and act upon.
Note that if there are no current messages or firmware updates available for this particular wireless speaker, then you will see no explanation point, as shown next.
4. Tap the Orange Circled Explanation Point (!)
Tapping the orange circle brings up the first Upgrade Speaker screen, as shown next.
This screen offers details about the available firmware update, via the What’s New? link.
5. Tap the OK Button to Start Updating Firmware on the JBL Flip 3
Next, tap the OK button. See this button in the last screenshot picture, pointed at by the blue arrow.
The firmware update then begins, with the download of the firmware update file from the internet, through your mobile device, to the speaker via the Bluetooth connection, as shown in the next screenshots.
5a. Firmware Update Begins
Copying the file from the internet to the speaker is the slowest part of the firmware upgrade process. But as shown in these screenshots, the JBL Connect+ app shows you a progress pie-chart picture, that gradually becomes more orange as the firmware file transfer proceeds.
5b. Firmware Update at Forty Percent Complete
We’re probably about seven minutes into the firmware update at this point in the process.
5c. Firmware Upgrade File Transfer at 100 Percent Done as Updating Firmware on JBL Flip 3 Progresses
The next screen shows that the firmware file transfer to the speaker has finished (100 percent done). The pie chart is completely orange now.
Once the app copies the upgrade file to the JBL Flip 3, you get the Upgrade Successful screen, as shown next. However, note that the speaker is still in the process of installing the new firmware for about half a minute after you first see this green and white screen. Thus, this screen warns us that our speaker will restart automatically, and it asks us not to unplug the speaker while it’s running the upgrade.
6. Wait for the JBL Flip 3 to Shut Off
Watch the power light on the speaker, as shown next. Eventually it will go dark, as shown next, pointed at by the green arrow.
The speaker may or may not turn itself back on again. Ours did not. If, like ours, yours did not come back up after the firmware upgrade, then go ahead with the next step (Step 7). But if yours did come back online though, then skip Step 7 and pick up with Step 8.
7. Power On the JBL Flip 3 to Continue with Updating Firmware on JBL Flip 3
Press the dark Power button to turn this Bluetooth speaker on again. It should again pair with your mobile device where you’re running the JBL Connect Plus app. The Power button turns solid blue with your speaker has successfully paired again with your tablet or phone, as shown next.
8. Press the Green Done Button in the Connect+ App
With your speaker successfully paired to the JBL Connect+ app again, press the green Done button, as shown in the last screenshot.
The app then displays the JBL Flip 3 status screen once again. However, this time, note that there’s no longer the orange circled explanation point (!), as shown next. This indicates that the firmware update succeeded and that the speaker is now running the current firmware version.
9. Done with Updating Firmware on JBL Flip 3 !
You’re now successfully updated the firmware to the current version in your JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth speaker. Enjoy the new features.
Other Posts About the JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker
- Charging JBL Flip 3 Instructions for Fully Recharging
- JBL Flip 3 Reset Instructions, How to Factory Reset
- Finding JBL Flip 3 Firmware Version
- JBL Flip 3 Charging Instructions for Longest Battery Life
- How to Restart JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker
Related Posts to Updating Firmware on JBL Flip 3
- Updating Firmware on JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker, How To, Via JBL Connect Plus App
- Find Current Firmware Version on JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker, How To
- JBL Flip 3 Buttons Layout, What Each Button Does and When to Use Them
- Amazon Echo Force Firmware Update Instructions, How To Help
- How to Connect Google Home Mini to Bluetooth Speaker
References for Updating Firmware on JBL Flip 3
- 2021-08-08: Fixed some broken links.
- 2020-04-08: Added more tags.
- 2019-04-13: Tweaked key word targeting. Added tags.
- 2018-08-21: First published.