Here, we demonstrate updating the firmware on the JBL Pulse 3 Bluetooth speaker. The process can take around ten minutes depending on the speed of your internet connection, source device used to update the speaker, distance between speaker and that device, and so on. Plus, the update cannot be rolled back once done. That is, you’ll be unable to return to the prior firmware version after you finish this upgrade. So, be certain that you indeed want the firmware update, and have considered all ramifications before proceeding.
Prepare for Updating Firmware on the JBL Pulse 3
You’ll need the following items:
- High speed internet connection,
- Bluetooth enabled mobile device,
- The JBL Connect app that runs on said mobile device,
- the JBL Pulse 3 BT speaker you’re updating.
- Compatible USB power adapters and charge cables for your speaker and mobile device.
Next, do the following preparations…
- So, get your mobile device connected to the internet, and install the JBL Connect app if you haven’t already.
- Then, connect your JBL Pulse 3 and your mobile device to AC power. Why? Because we don’t want either of their batteries going dead during the update. A low battery could leave a corrupted version of the firmware in the speaker’s memory, and brick the Pulse 3. This would render it useless and non repairable.
- Be sure to disconnect any other Bluetooth speakers and devices from your mobile device for this process.
- Then, power up your speaker and mobile device, if not already running.
- Next, sync your mobile device with the Pulse 3.
- You are now ready to begin updating the firmware on that wireless speaker.
Updating Firmware on the JBL Pulse 3 Speaker, Step by Step
1. Connect the Pulse 3 to AC Power if Not Done Already
We connected ours to an AC outlet using a common USB power supply, as well as a common micro USB to USB-A cable. E.g. See this in the next picture.
2. Find the JBL Connect App on your Mobile Device
We found ours on the fourth home page in our Apple iPad Air, as shown next.
3. Run the JBL Connect App to Continue with Updating the Firmware on the JBL Pulse 3 BT Speaker
The app takes some seconds to find the Pulse 3. During that time, it shows you some pretty animations when you first start it.
But eventually, it locates your paired JBL Pulse 3 Bluetooth speaker and displays its status screen, as pictured next.
If the speaker does not appear in the app after thirty seconds or so, move it closer to your mobile device. Next, close the Connect app, and then run it again.
Note the red dot on the Settings button, as pointed at by the green arrow in the next picture. This means that there are important messages about this speaker pending for your to read and act upon.
Note that if there are no current messages or firmware updates available for this speaker, then you will see no red dot, as shown next.
4. Tap the Settings Button that is Shaped Like a Gear
Tapping the Settings gear brings up the first JBL Pulse 3 Upgrade screen, as we see next.
This screen offers details about the available firmware update, via the What’s New? link.
5. Tap the Upgrade Bar
Next, tap the Upgrade button. See this orange bar in the last screenshot picture, pointed at by the green arrow.
Next, if you didn’t plug your speaker into external power yet, you may get the following screen, which asks you to do so now.
But if you did tether your Pulse 3 to AC or car power, then you won’t see the above prompt. In that case, the system will start updating the speaker’s onboard firmware. So skip forward to Step 8 in that situation.
6. Connect the JBL Pulse 3 to Power
If you didn’t before, you must plug in the speaker now, to continue with the update.
7. Touch the I Followed the Instructions Bar
Then, once you connect the speaker, the I Followed the Instructions bar should become available, turning orange, as seen next.
Tap that orange bar, and the update will then start.
8. The Firmware Updating on the JBL Pulse 3 Begins
The updating then starts, as we show in the following screenshots.
8a. Updating the Firmware Continues at Twenty-Five Percent Complete
Now as shown in these screenshots, the JBL Connect app displays a round progress bar, that gradually gets more orange as the firmware update proceeds.
8b. Updating Firmware on JBL Pulse 3 is Now at Fifty Percent Complete
We’re probably about five minutes into the update now.
8c. Now at Seventy-Five Percent Complete
8d. Now at Ninety-Nine Percent Done
The next screen shows that the firmware file transfer and update to the speaker have almost finished (99 percent done). E.g. The progress bar is practically all orange now.
9. Wait for the JBL Pulse 3 to Restart After Updating its Firmware
Once the app copies the update to the speaker, you get the Restarting screen, as shown next. This is when the Pulse 3 installs the firmware package. Thus, this screen warns that our speaker will restart automatically. Plus, it also asks us not to unplug the speaker and to keep it close to our mobile device as it runs the update.
10. The App Finishes the Updating
After the speaker restarts, the app displays the Upgrade Successful page, as we see next.
11. Power On the JBL Pulse 3 If it Powered Off
Press the Power button on the back of the unit, just above and between the Pairing and Volume UP buttons, to turn this Bluetooth speaker on again, as pictured next.
The Pulse 3 should again pair with your mobile device where you’re running the JBL Connect app. The Power button turns solid white and the Pairing button also glows steadily white once the speaker has again linked to your mobile device.
12. Press the OK Button Back in the JBL Connect App
With your speaker successfully paired to the JBL Connect app again, press the orange OK button, as shown in the last screenshot.
The app then displays the JBL Pulse 3 home screen once again. But this time, note that there’s no longer the red notification dot, as shown next. This means that the updating of the firmware worked, and that the speaker is now running the current firmware version.
13. Done with Updating the Firmware on the JBL Pulse 3 Speaker !
You’re now finished updating the firmware to the current version in your JBL Pulse 3 Bluetooth speaker. Enjoy the new features.
Related Posts to Updating Firmware on JBL Pulse 3
- Updating Firmware on JBL Xtreme 2
- Updating Firmware on JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker
- Firmware Updating the JBL Charge 4 Speaker
- Updating Firmware on JBL Flip 5 Speaker
- Updating Firmware on Echo Spot Smart Speaker
- 2021-10-08: First published.