The Xtreme Dual Port USB Home Charger, model LFS0502100D-A8S, is so far, THE cheapest medium-high current USB home wall adapters we’ve tested. At under $3 per copy, this AC USB adapter can charge the higher demand tablet computers, and does so at moderately fast speeds. We charged our iPad Air overnight with it, and it added ten percent to total battery power per hour when charging that device. This home charger can replace just about any stock charger, without sacrificing too much performance. Yet it typically costs only about a sixth of the price of many stock adapters; particularly those from Apple. We’ve used our Xtreme for several days now, and while the LFS0502100D-A8S does not charge the fastest of all our chargers, It does charge most devices overnight. It appears to be quite electronically reliable, is small enough for easy packing and travel, and it’s so cheap that you don’t have to worry much about losing it; unless of course, it’s the only charger you have with you. We carry several when traveling, just in case of loss. Hey, why not? They’re inexpensive enough.
Benefits, Pros, Features, and Advantages
- Quite inexpensive. Can be purchased for less than $3.
- Foldable plug. The AC prongs fold into slots in the rugged white plastic case, protecting them from bending and damage, and making for simple storage of the charger.
- Silent operation. No buzzing, humming, whistling, and only very small frying sounds are heard while this is plugged in and charging a device.
- Low RFI and EMI. Little, if any, interference to AM radio was observed.
- Good adapter size. The case is large enough to grasp easily, but not so big that it covers the second receptacle in a 2-receptacle outlet. Compact design, for sure.
- Higher current USB power. Provides up to 2.1 amps of USB charging current. We often charge our Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro SM-T900 (very large tablet computer) with the LFS0502100D-A8S. We’ve also successfully charged iPads, iPods, numerous smart phones, and Kindle Fire HDX tablets with this AC adapter.
- Excellent regulation. Voltage regulation appears quite good over the entire range of drawn currents. Holds very steady at 5 volts output.
- Lukewarm operation. The LFS0502100D-A8S gets somewhat warm while charging. But never does it get too hot to handle.
- Dual ports. You get two USB ports that both appear to access the total 2.1 Amps of USB current available. However, this device does not provide simultaneous 2.1 Amps on both ports. So, plugging in two devices for charging means that they’re both drawing from the same limited reservoir of current. So while you can charge a single device at full current, plugging in a second device lowers the current that the first device receives. When charging two devices, charge times therefore, will grow longer.
- Switch mode power supply technology, which enhances this unit’s compactness, and yet it remains capable of delivering the hefty current needed to power today’s most demanding USB mobile devices.
- Specifications: Input is 100-240 volts AC 60Hz, 0.5 amps (MAX). Output is 5 volts DC, at 2.1 amps max.
- RoHS compliant.
Problems, Cons, Disadvantages, and Limitations
- Non isolated USB ports. The sum total USB current is 2.1 amps, spread across the two USB ports. If you’re charging a 2.1 amp device in one port, there’ll be little current left for any device plugged into the other. In this way, the ports “interfere” with each other. Not completely isolated from one another.
- Two ports cannot both charge high current devices at the same time. Only charges one high-current USB device at a time, even though it has two USB charge ports.
- No charge cables included.
- Indoor use only.
- No pilot lamp / night light. No indication on the Xtreme LFS0502100D-A8S that
Charging devices nearly every night with the LFS0502100D-A8S dual USB home charger has never left us with dead batteries. Devices always charged fully, and lasted the full time per charge, as documented in their users guides. We’re pleased with how well this wall charger performs, and yet it costs next to nothing. Thanks to this unit, we never order stock charger replacements for our mobile devices anymore. This is a well-designed and well-constructed USB appliance for the price, and so, we’d rate it at 94 out of 100.
look for the LFS0502100D-A8S charger at Gabriel Brothers and other discount stores in the black and green package with a white back and black print.
- 2015-10-22: Added appropriate tags.
- 2015-10-12: Originally published this post.