You can indeed change the name that the Amazon Alexa enabled speakers respond to when you say it. Current choices are, “Alexa…,” “Amazon…,” “Computer…,” and “Echo…”
The word is the name you call out when you want the popular voice assistant to wake up and start listening for a follow-up command / question. It’s how you “get her attention,” so to speak. This setting is not customizable beyond these choices; at least, not yet.
You might wish to change this name for a particular Echo speaker device, so that they don’t all respond at once when you call her. This name is speaker-specific. So if you have multiple echo speakers around the house, you could assign each one a different trigger word
Following are instructions on how to set this watch word for a specific Echo device connected to your Amazon account.
Change Alexa Name Procedure
1. Locate the Alexa app on your tablet. Our copy of the app is located on the third page of the home screen on our iOS based iPad tablet, as shown next.
2. Then, run the Alexa app. You should then get the Alexa app Home screen, similar to the picture displayed next.
3. Tap the Settings option, as highlighted by the pink arrow in the previous picture. This brings up the Settings screen, as shown next.
4. Tap the Echo speaker device whose name she answers by you wish to change. We’re going to modify the Living Room speaker’s trigger word in this scenario. So, when we tapped that device on the screen above, we got the following screen back.
5. Tap the Wake Word item, pointed at by the pink arrow in the previous picture. You should then see the Change your Wake Word screen, similar to the following.
6. Tap the Wake Word Choices pull down menu item, as pointed at by the pink arrow in the previous picture. That menu then expands, and appears as follows.
7. Tap the wake word choice you wish. In our case, we’re changing our living room speaker to Computer. So, we tap the Computer item on that menu, and then are returned to the Change Your Wake Word screen as follows. But now, the value in the Wake Word Choices pull down combo box is Computer, as shown.
8. Tap the Save button, as highlighted in the previous picture. Then, the Changing Wake Word window pops up briefly, as shown following, and then the Wake Word Changed window appears.
9. Press the Close button. Your Echo speaker should now respond to her new name. Test it out.
10. You’re done!
- Amazon Alexa Echo Dot Setup Help Instructions
- How to Change Alexa WiFi Connection
- Amazon Echo Best Features List
- How to Reset Alexa Dot Smart Speakers
- How to Delete Alexa History, Voice Recordings
- 2017-02-11: Revised the tag list.
- 2017-01-31: Originally published.