This piece gives Sony SRS XB33 speaker charging instructions. Recharge this speaker easily through the USB-C power in port, behind the water resistant door in the rear of the unit, shown in the pictures below. Note that you can still play your XB33 mini speaker during charging, without upping the recharge time very much, especially if you are using a full-current USB charger.
Sony SRS XB33 Charging Instructions Summary
First, the unit comes with a suitable USB-A to USB-C charger cable. But you must provide a strong enough USB adapter with a USB-A female connector, to plug that cord into. This particular speaker requires about 15 watts (5 volts at 3 amps max). Any full-current USB 2.0 adapter should work nicely here.
At any rate, once you choose the charger you will use, plug it into a working AC outlet.
Then after five hours, your XB33 finishes charging. So it’s ready to play once more for up to twenty-four (24) hours before needing another recharge.
Sony SRS XB33 Charging Instructions, Step by Step
1. Choose Properly Sized AC or Car Adapter
The charging adapter you use should offer 5 volts and at 3 amps (15 watts). Here, we use the Key Power model HDD15-3-PD USB power delivery system along with a thick-enough USB supply cable.
2. Open the Port Cap Door
Use a fingernail, dime, penny, or small screwdriver to pry open the waterproof seal port cover on the XB33.
See the opened power port compartment in the next picture. Be careful not to scratch the delicate seal around the inside edge of this door.
Prying open this door exposes the USB charging port inside, as shown in the last picture, pointed at by the green arrow.
3. Power OFF the Unit to Continue with Sony SRS XB33 Speaker Charging
Note that the SRSXB33 still charges when powered ON. But depending on how much above-and-beyond recharging amperage your charger supplies, the speaker might charge somewhat faster when not running. It will definitely charge faster when you’re not playing it at very high volumes.
4. Plug the USB-C Cord into the XB33
Then, plug the matching end of your charging cable into the port, as we see in the next shot.
Warning: Only use either the DC input or the micro USB port for charging the speaker. Do not use the USB-A port near the right side in the port compartment. The larger connector is for power output only, for power bank purposes. So, feeding external power into THIS port will not only fail to recharge the battery in the XB33, but could also damage the electronics inside the speaker.
5. Plug the Other End of the USB Cable into your Charger Adapter
If the supply you use has a removable cord, then be sure to connect the matching end of the USB power cable to the AC or car adapter you have.
6. Plug the USB Adapter into a Working Wall Receptacle to Continue with Sony SRS XB33 Speaker Charging
Now that we connected the XB33 and our adapter, we then plugged the mains end of the supply box into a working AC outlet, as shown next. We plugged ours into a surge protecting power strip.
The CHARGE lamp then lights up solid orange on the speaker. And while no battery status gauge shows percentage of charge, the glowing lamp means that charging is indeed occurring, as we see next.
7. Let the XB33 Continue Charging Until the CHARGE Light Goes Out
Full battery charging wraps up when the CHARGE lamp turns off, as shown next.
8. Unplug the USB-C Charging Cable from the Speaker
9. Fully Close the Port Door / Cap
Note that unless you seat the port cap correctly, water may flow into its power in / out ports. And, since water and electronics do not work well together, getting those connections wet might degrade the delicate contacts inside. So be sure to press this door closed with enough force to fully seat it, for maximum moisture protection.
10. Done with Sony SRS XB33 Charging !
We have now fully charged our XB33 speaker.
Finally, repeat this recharging every (up to) twenty-four hours of play, to keep the battery in top condition for years to come.
Other Posts About the SRS XB33 Sony Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Sony SRS XB33 Battery Indicator Explained
- How to Connect Sony SRS XB33 to iPhone
- Sony SRS XB33 Speaker Buttons Explained
- How to Turn Off the Sony SRS XB33
- Turning Off the Party Lights on the Sony SRS XB33 Bluetooth Speaker
Related Posts to Sony SRS XB33 Charging Instructions
- Sony SRS XB41 Speaker Charging Instructions
- Charging Instructions for the Sony SRS XB43 Speaker
- Sony SRS XB10 Charging Instructions
- Charging Instructions for the Sony SRS XB12 Mini Wireless Speaker
- Sony SRS XB13 Charging Instructions
- 2021-10-18: First published.