We just bought an Amazon Echo Dot smart speaker with the Alexa voice assistant, and we hear that we can link the Dot up to our Honeywell Total Connect Comfort (TCC) thermostat. That would be nice, to be able to issue voice commands to control the t-stat. It turns out that this is true. Connecting Amazon Echo Dot to Honeywell thermostats can be done ! So here, we give directions on how to do just that.
Connecting Amazon Echo Dot to Honeywell Thermostats: Initial Remarks
We’ve owned the Honeywell RTH9580WF internet t-stat, shown next for a few years now. So we already set up an account at the TCC website. Thus, we won’t delve into how to do that. Account setup over there is pretty straight forward.
We also assume that you’ve installed and set up your Echo Dot with the Alexa App. For help on how to do that, see the posts listed in the References section below.
Enable the Honeywell Total Connect Comfort Alexa Skill
1. To Get Started, you’ll Need a Honeywell Total Connect Comfort Account
So if you don’t yet have one, head on over to the Honeywell portal website here, and make one. Be sure to save your user Id and password. Why? Because you’ll need this info when setting up the Alexa Honeywell TCC skill below.
2. Then Run the Alexa App on your Tablet or Phone
We’re using an iPad Air tablet here.
Upon running the Alexa app, you’ll see the Alexa home screen, as seen next.
3. Next, Tap the Skills Item to Continue with Connecting Amazon Echo Dot to Honeywell Thermostats
Find the Skills option on the left side of the screen, pointed to by the green arrow in the last picture.
4. Next, Enter the Word Honeywell into the Search Box
Find the search box pointed to above by the green arrow.
Then after that, your screen should look as follows.
5. Next, Tap the Blue Search Button
With the Honeywell text entered, press the blue Search button above.
After a short pause, the search results screen displays, as shown in the next picture. Note that it found the Honeywell TCC skill; it’s the first one in the list.
6. Then Tap the Honeywell Total Connect Comfort (TCC) Skill Item to Continue with Connecting Amazon Echo Dot to Honeywell Thermostats
That skill’s setup screen then pops up, as shown next.
7. Tap the Enable Skill Button
The Honeywell TCC skill setup screen then appears, as shown next.
Enter Your TCC Account Info to Continue with Connecting Amazon Echo Dot to Honeywell Thermostats
8. First, Type in your TCC Account Credentials
Enter the email address and password of your Honeywell TCC account in the spaces. See these so marked in the above picture.
Once done, this screen should look as follows.
9. Then, Tap the Sign In button
Find the Sign In button pointed at by the green arrow in the last screenshot above.
If you entered the right user Id and password, the EULA screen appears next, as shown.
10. Next, Tap the I Accept Button to Continue with Connecting Amazon Echo Dot to Honeywell Thermostats
You should then see a Linkage Success message screen, as displayed next.
11. Finally, Press the Close Button (the X)
The Smart Home screen then displays. This shows the lists of any smart home skills you’ve set up before. It also shows the list of smart home devices that Alexa found and can control.
You may have to scroll down to find your t-stat as follows.
If you see your t-stat listed, then all is done. You can now begin speaking commands that work the t-stat to Alexa. Some of the commands we speak follow.
If you do not see your t-stat, then try tapping the Discover Devices link. Be sure your t-stat is linked to the internet and online. If found, it should then appear in the Your Devices list, as shown above.
13. Done with Connecting Amazon Echo Dot to Honeywell Thermostats !
Example Thermostat Control Alexa Commands
- Alexa, raise thermostat temperature. Raises thermostat setting by two degrees.
- Hey Alexa, lower thermostat temperature. Lowers thermostat temperature setting by two degrees.
- Alexa, set thermostat temperature to 74 degrees. Sets thermostat temperature to 74 degrees.
Note that the Honeywell TCC skill appears not to support questions that ask for status aspects of the t-stats. For example, currently you cannot ask the following:
- Alexa, thermostat, what is the indoor temperature?
- Hey Alexa, thermostat, what is the outdoor temperature?
- Alexa, what is the current thermostat temperature setting?
- Okay Alexa, what is the current thermostat indoor humidity?
We hope that support for these as well as commands that allow you to edit program schedules will come soon. In the meantime though, enjoy the basic functions. Stay tuned, as Alexa skills are getting better every day. Lots to look forward to.
Other Posts About Amazon Echo Dot
Related Posts to Connecting Amazon Echo Dot to Honeywell Thermostats
- Connect Alexa to New WiFi, How To
- Connect Spotify to Alexa Smart Speakers, How To Link
- How to Connect JBL Xtreme with iPhone
- Connect Echo Spot to New WiFi, Help, How To
- How to Connect Google Mini to Bluetooth Speaker
References for Connecting Amazon Echo Dot to Honeywell Thermostats
- 2019-05-05: Removed ad code. Tuned the targeting for ‘Connecting Amazon Echo Dot to Honeywell Thermostats’.
- 2019-02-07: Added key phrase targeting.
- 2016-12-26: Added more links to the Related Posts section.
- 2016-12-14: Added a Suggested Reading section.
- 2016-12-13: Originally published.