Purchased the Monster Coppa Digital USB Drive, 16 GB version, at Rite Aid, to save some scanned pictures. We’ve since used this thumb drive for that and other purposes too. We found it easy to work (just plug it into a computer). Plus since we’ve had it for years now, have never experienced any data loss or errors from it. Quite pleased with this Coppa. So here’s our Monster Coppa digital USB drive review, in which we found far more good things to say about this product than bad.
The device installed without problems, received copied data as quickly as other high speed USB storage drives we’ve tested, and is easy to locate, plug in, and use. This drive accepted several gigabytes of data without producing a single error.
This Monster Coppa digital USB drive gives new life to the “sneaker net” means of sharing data amongst friends, teachers, bosses, and so on, that was done widely in the 1980s and 1990s. Almost as cheap as yesterday’s floppies, thumb drives like the Coppa ones, are quickly loaded with data. Then given their small size and weight, can easily be carried from place to place, on foot, just as those sneaker-wearing couriers did three decades ago with floppies.
Benefits, Pros, Advantages, and Features of the Monster Coppa Digital USB Drive
Supports USB 2.0
This gives high speed data transfers to and from the drive.
Works with Both Windows and Apple Computers
Pre Formatted with FAT32
Comes pre-formatted with the FAT32 file system, for wide-spread compatibility across computers running most any version of Windows or Mac OS.
This cover protects the USB connector when not in use. Besides, being attached, you won’t lose the cover.
Lanyard Hole on this Monster Digital USB Drive
Thumb drives in general are rather small in size, and so, are often misplaced. But this Coppa USB storage device has an opening in the connector cover. Through this you can thread a lanyard or other form of necklace or string. Or you can route a key chain through here to prevent loss.
Many Storage Sizes Available
Available capacities are 4, 8, 16, and 32 GB currently.
Power / Data Transfer Lamp
Has a built-in light that shows that power is applied, and blinks during data transfers.
Produces very little heat; so that means very little wasted power. Use this in your battery-powered laptop or notebook computers, without fear that it will increase the drain on your batteries. Current draw is nearly negligible. .
This Monster Digital USB Drive is RoHS Compliant
Supports Fast File Copying
Data transfer speeds were as snappy quick as expected for a USB 2.0 storage device.
Limited Lifetime Warranty
Given how quickly people seem to outgrow their storage devices these days, it’s useful that Monster Digital offers a limited lifetime warranty with this product.
Wear Leveling Support
Supports wear leveling, both static and dynamic, which further extends the life of the internal flash memory. The built in circuitry evenly distributes block writes through the entire space on this drive. This prevents premature failure often caused by writing too much to the same block area.
No Other Drivers Needed
A Monster Coppa digital USB drive needs no additional or special drivers or software to be installed when employing on a Windows based computer.
Neither Magnetic Fields Nor X-Rays Erase This Drive
Data stored herein are not easily erased or corrupted by exposure to magnetic fields; unlike floppies or data tapes.
Easy to Handle and Keep Track Of
Bigger than the SD (Secure Digital) family of memory cards, and so, is more difficult to lose. Way bigger than Micro SD devices as well.
The Monster Digital USB Drive is Great for Archival Data Storage
Though data transfer speeds may be more limited with this USB device as compared with class 10 and higher SD cards, these thumb drives are nonetheless well-suited for archival data storage, and are plenty fast enough for streaming audio and most video content.
Easily replaced with a bigger USB drive when you need more storage. This is owing to the USB standard itself and the high degree of interoperability and interchanging of USB devices. That’s why USB thumb drives like this Monster Coppa digital USB drive are found practically everywhere in so many IT functions.
Problems, Cons, Limitations, and Disadvantages of the Monster Coppa Digital USB Drive
Perhaps a Little Long
The body of this flash drive spans more than an inch, and when plugged in, protrudes from the USB port almost two inches. So, take care not to move the host computer with this USB drive plugged in. This could snap off or otherwise damage this drive, if you pass too close by a wall or corner while carrying the computer.
No USB 3.0 Support
This particular model does not support USB 3.0 transfer speeds, although Monster Digital does offer flash drives that do.
Our Rating on the Monster Coppa Digital USB Drive
They price this line of high speed flash drives on the cheap side. Plus, it’s available at Rite Aid, Crutchfield, and Amazon.com and other brick and online retail outlets. Price swing is large for this product across retailers in our experience, anything from $6 to $20. So do shop around for the best deals. With faster speeds, higher storage capacity, and notably superior durability, why would you not replace your older disc storage mediums with thumb drives like this one from Monster Digital?
Related Posts to Monster Digital USB Drive
- Hard Drive Does Not Spin Up, How to Fix
- Staples® USB 2.0 Stick Drive 64GB Review
- Hard Drive Making Clicking Noise Fix
- How to Change COM Port on USB Modem, Windows 10
- SanDisk USB Flash Drive, Cruzer Glide 32 GB Review
- PNY Metal Attache 64 GB iGo USB 2.0 Flash Drive Review
- SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB USB Flash Drive Review
- Hard Drive Not Spinning, How to Fix
- PNY Attache 16GB Pen Drive Review
- 12 Volt Power Supply Adapter Failure on External Hard Drive
- Negative Effects of Multitasking like Hard Disk Thrashing
- ClassCo InTouch 5000 Talking Caller Id Box Review
- Netgear WNDR3700v4 N600 Dual Band Router Review
- Setting Windows 10 Voice, Text to Speech
- Bose Wave Music System First Generation Review
- Tivo Roamio T6 DVR Review, Atlantic Broadband
- Energizer Max Battery Review, AA, AAA, C, and D Sizes
- SBC Talking Caller Id Box Review, Model 9900CW
- Fixing Noisy Window Air Conditioners, How To
- 7 Day Programmable Thermostat Reviews
- JBL Flip 2 Review and Features of this Bluetooth Speaker
References for this Monster Digital USB Drive Review
- Monster Digital USB Drives Product Page
- USB On The Go on Wikipedia
- What is a USB Flash Drive? on Wikipedia
- Where to Buy the Monster 16 GB High Speed USB Flash Drive
- 2020-04-15: Added tags.
- 2019-06-02: Tweaked the targeting for ‘Monster Digital USB Drive’ and added more tags and links.
- 2019-02-18: Added keyword targeting and more subheadings.
- 2017-02-28: Added featured image.
- 2017-02-25: Revised the tags list and changed the post title to: Monster Coppa Series USB 2.0 16GB Flash Pen Thumb Stick Drive Review.
- 2015-11-14: Added appropriate tags.
- 2014-11-02: Original posting of this article.