Through the Google Home assistant via the Google Home Mini speaker, you can control your music listening on Spotify with voice commands! Ask Google Home Mini to play a song, an album, a public playlist or one of your own private playlists. Google Home Mini works quite well with Spotify, giving you access to all your specific Spotify account content, just by asking.
For this list of Google Home Mini Spotify commands to work, you first must link your Google account to your Spotify Premium account.
Google Home Mini Spotify Commands
Whether playing albums, songs, playlists, or genres, you can control playback with the following Google Home Mini Spotify commands.
- Hey Google, mute.
- Hey Google, silence. These commands set speaker volume to zero. But playback progress continues.
- To undo these and raise the volume again, use the Google Home volume commands, such as: Hey Google, set volume 40, or Hey Google, raise volume, et al. You can also tap the sides of the Mini to raise and loser volume from that speaker.
- Hey Google, stop. Stops Spotify playback.
- OK Google, quiet.
- Hey Google, be quiet.
- OK Google, shut up.
- Hey Google, pause. Stops playback, but does not change the volume setting. Nor does playback within the current track continue. Stops playback. Say Hey Google, resume to undo the stop
- Hey Google, resume. Picks up playback again from where you left off when you issued the last pause command.
- OK Google, play Spotify. Plays music from Spotify, although not necessarily what you were listening to during your last listening session.
- Hey Google, what’s playing? She’ll then speak the currently playing song title and artist.
Google Home Mini Spotify Commands to Play a Group of Songs by an Artist
Got a favorite artist or group? Ask Google Home to play all the songs by that artist that Spotify has, as in the following examples. Here, the following Google Home Mini Spotify commands all result in the speaker playing songs by the Steve Miller Band.
If the artist name you’re requesting is also a popular title of a song (the group name Middle of the Road for example, is also the title of a popular 1984 song by the Pretenders), then the Mini may again, play the wrong song. To get rid of this confusion, just add the “songs by” phrase to the Google Home Mini spotify commands, as in the next examples.
Spotify Play Artist Request Examples
- Hey Google, play Steve Miller Band on Spotify
- Hey Google, play Steve Miller Band songs on Spotify
- OK Google, play songs by Steve Miller Band on Spotify.
- Hey Google, play songs by the Bee Gees on Spotify.
- Hey Google, Play the Bee Gees on Spotify.
Google Home Mini Spotify Commands to Play a Playlist
If you’ve made personal playlists in your Spotify account, or if you just want to play the public playlists already there (such as the Spotify Teen Party playlist), you can ask to play them with the following Google Home Mini Spotify commands. You just need to know the name of the playlist you want.
Spotify Playlist Requests by Playlist Name
- Hey Google, play my Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep playlist on Spotify.
- Hey Google, play Spotify playlist Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep.
- OK Google, play Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep playlist on Spotify.
- Hey Google, play the Spotify Teen Party playlist.
- Hey Google, play the Discover Weekly playlist on Spotify.
- OK Google, play Spotify playlist, Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep.
- Hey Google, play Spotify playlist, Teen Party.
Google Home Mini Spotify Commands to Play a Genre
Just ask for the genre you wish, and Mini will play a bunch of songs from that genre. No telling what you’ll get though, unless you’ve already tried this once so that you know what’s coming. Also, what you’ll hear will change from play to play, as they add new music.
Spotify Play Genre Request Examples
- OK Google, play some jazz on Spotify.
- Hey Google, play popular music on Spotify.
- Hey Google, play country music on Spotify.
- OK Google, play dance music on Spotify.
- Hey Google, play 90s music on Spotify.
Google Home Mini Spotify Commands to Play a Song by an Artist
Got a favorite song by a certain artist? Ask the Mini to play that song with the following Google Home Mini Spotify commands. The requests below all play the song Fly Like an Eagle, by the Steve Miller Band.
You may omit the artist name from the request, if no other song title, artist name, or playlist has the same name. But you must add the artist qualifier if there are more than one items in Spotify with the same name. If you don’t, you may get the wrong song. In the Fly Like an Eagle scenario though, she does play the Steve Miller version, even though versions from other artists such as Seal are also on Spotify.
Spotify Song Title by an Artist Request Examples
- Hey Google, play Fly Like an Eagle by the Steve Miller Band on Spotify.
- Hey Google, play the Steve Miller Band, Fly Like an Eagle on Spotify.
- OK Google, play Fly Like an Eagle on Spotify.
- Hey Google, play Spotify, Fly Like an Eagle.
- Hey Google, play Spotify, Steve Miller Band, Fly Like an Eagle.
Google Home Mini Spotify Commands to Play a Certain Album
You can request a specific album by a specific artist from Spotify, as shown in the examples next. The requested album then plays, in the correct order, from beginning to end.
You may also omit artist / group names for albums with unique names. But to ensure that you hear what you wanted, we always request the album along with the artist, since many albums in Spotify have the same names these days, and since we almost always get the wrong version of the song when we don’t.
But you may hear a short silence (inter-song gaps) in those albums that feature one long continuous recording, that’s subdivided into tracks for easier navigation (such as live albums or certain studio recordings like Pink Floyd’s The Wall album). Now the Alexa speakers on the other hand, provide truly gapless playback of these albums. So check those out if you really need gapless album playback on Spotify.
Finally, asking for track numbers within the album does not yet work.
Other Posts About the Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- 2020-05-10: Added the Other Posts About… section.
- 2019-05-02: Added key word focus for ‘Google Home Mini Spotify Commands’, and more tags. Removed ad code.
- 2017-12-03: Originally published.