Now that the 1st Generation Amazon Echo Dot is no longer the most recent version of this smart speaker, you may wish to reset Echo Dot because you wish to sell or gift yours to another person.
Or perhaps you just want to link it to a different Amazon account, or connect it to a different wireless network. So, to that end, in order to reset your Echo Dot and restore its factory default settings, perform the following steps. Resetting unlinks the Echo Dot from its current Amazon Alexa account, assure that it forgets its current Wi-Fi connection information.
Note that if you’re just trying to correct erratic behavior, a complete Echo Dot reset may be unnecessary. Before doing a hard reset, try powering off the unit for fifteen seconds, by disconnecting its USB power cable either from the wall outlet, or from the unit itself. Wait a quarter minute, and then power it up again. This often restores proper operation. But if the problem is not corrected, read below for proper hard reset procedure.
Once reset, you’ll no longer be able to control the Echo Dot from the Amazon account where you managed it from before, unless you run through the setup procedure again, and relink it to that account via the Alexa app. The Echo Dot has entered setup mode when the light ring turns orange, which indicates that the reset operation has finished successfully.
1. Connect to power. Connect the 1st Gen Echo Dot to its USB power. The light ring will illuminate blue for a time, and then go out.
2. Press the Echo Dot 1 reset button. Once the light ring goes completely dark, use a straightened paper clip to press and hold the recessed Reset button for approximately five to ten seconds, until the light ring turns orange, and then blue.
3. Wait for hard reset to finish. After a several-seconds pause, the light ring goes completely dark for a few seconds, and then turns orange.
4. Reset now finished. Your Echo Dot 1st Generation speaker has now been restored to its factory default settings and has entered setup mode.
5. Set up again, or pack up. You may now unplug, pack, and give your Echo Dot to someone else without fear that they’ll have access to the Alexa settings on your personal Amazon account. Those prior values have now been erased from the your Echo Dot. Or, you can set it up once again on your existing account. Once the light ring turns orange, the unit remains in setup mode until someone executes the published setup procedure. The Echo Dot will not function until properly set up and linked to an Amazon account.
- Amazon Alexa Echo Dot Setup Help Instructions
- Amazon Echo Dot Smart Speaker Review, Gen 2
- Change WiFi Network on Amazon Echo Dot
- Resetting Amazon Alexa Echo Dot 2nd Gen to Factory Default
- Where is the Echo Dot Reset Button
- 2017-01-20: Changed title to: How to Reset Echo Dot 1.
- 2017-01-15: How to Reset Echo Dot 1st Generation to Factory Default
- 2016-12-04: Added more links to the Related Posts section.
- 2016-11-29: First published.