This first release of the Echo Dot assistant is no longer the most recent version of this smart speaker. Thus, you may wish to reset it to get it ready to sell or gift to another. So in this piece, we cover how to reset the Echo Dot 1 back to factory default settings.
How to Reset Echo Dot 1 Speaker Intro
Or perhaps you just want to link it to a new Amazon account or WiFi network. So, to reset your Echo Dot 1 and restore its factory default settings, run though the steps below. Resetting unlinks the Dot from its current Alexa account and makes it forget its current Wi-Fi and account settings.
Note that to fix odd speaker behaviors, you may not need to run a complete Echo Dot reset. So before doing a hard reset, try a reboot first. E.g. Power off the unit for fifteen seconds. I.e. Unplug its USB power cable either from the wall outlet. Then wait a quarter minute. Finally, plug the speaker in again. This power cycling often restores proper function. But if not, then read below for the proper hard reset routine.
Once reset, you can no longer control the Echo Dot 1 from the Amazon account where you did before. So to get control back, run through the setup routine again. Why? Because Setup re links the speaker to your account again.
The Echo Dot 1 enters setup mode when the light ring turns orange. The orange ring means that the reset operation us complete.
How to Factory Reset Echo Dot 1 Alexa Speaker, Step by Step
1. Connect Echo Dot 1 to Power
Connect the 1st Gen Echo Dot to its USB power. The light ring will illuminate blue for a time, and then go out.
2. Press the Reset Button
Wait for the light ring goes dark. Then, use a straightened paper clip to press and hold the recessed Reset button for five to ten seconds. Release it when the light ring turns orange, and then blue.
3. Wait for the Hard Reset to Finish
After a several-seconds pause, the light ring goes completely dark for a few seconds, and then turns orange.
4. Echo Dot 1 Reset Now Done!
You have restored your Echo Dot 1 speaker to its factory default settings and has entered setup mode.
5. Set Up Echo Dot 1 Again, or Pack it Up
You may now unplug, pack, and give your Echo Dot to someone else. Do not fear that they’ll have access to the Alexa settings on your personal Amazon account though. Why? Because you have indeed erased those prior values from your Echo Dot. Or, you can set it up once again on your existing account. Once the light ring turns orange, the unit remains in setup mode until someone executes the published setup procedure. The Echo Dot will not function until properly set up and linked to an Amazon account.
Related Posts to How to Reset Echo Dot 1
- Reset Echo Spot to Factory Settings, How To Hard Reset
- Amazon Echo Dot Smart Speaker Review, Gen 2
- Change WiFi Network on Amazon Echo Dot
- Resetting Amazon Alexa Echo Dot 2nd Gen to Factory Default
- Finding the Echo Dot Reset Button
- How to Factory Reset Amazon Echo Dot Speakers
- Reset Echo Dot 3rd Gen Alexa Speaker, How To
- Restart Alexa Echo Dot, How To Restart Amazon Dot
- How to Reset JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker
- Unpacking Echo Dot 2nd Gen Speaker
- How to Clear Settings on Honeywell Thermostat
- Connect Pandora to Echo Dot, How To
- Google Home Mini Reset to Factory Default Settings
- Change Echo Dot Wake Word, How To
- Use Echo Dot as Bluetooth Speaker, How To
- Echo Dot 2 Buttons Guide, How to Use Them
- Reset Gosund Mini Smart Plug, Hard Factory Reset
- Connect Echo Dot to WiFi, How To
- Connecting Amazon Echo Dot to Honeywell Thermostats, 2016
- Echo Dot 2nd Generation Review, Amazon Alexa Dot 2
- Connect JBL Speaker to Echo Dot Alexa, How To
- Echo Dot 2nd Generation Setup Instructions
References for How to Reset Echo Dot 1
- 2019-07-16: Added key phrase targeting for ‘Reset Echo 1’, removed ad script code, and added more links and tags.
- 2017-01-20: Changed title to: How to Reset Echo Dot 1.
- 2017-01-15: How to Reset Echo Dot 1st Generation to Factory Default
- 2016-12-04: Added more links to the Related Posts section.
- 2016-11-29: First published.