This post shows how pairing JBL Charge 3 with Amazon Alexa Echo Dot speakers is done. Further, these instructions include the generation 1 and generation 2 Echo Dot speaker versions. Plus, since this pairing happens between the Charge 3 and the Echo Dot devices, you need not turn Bluetooth on in the mobile device you’re using to set up this linkage.
How Pairing JBL Charge 3 with Amazon Alexa Echo Dot Speakers Works
First, with your JBL Charge 3 powered off (power button is dark), run through this routine to pair it to your Amazon Echo Dot. We’re using an iPad Air tablet to establish this pairing.
1. Find the Alexa app on your Mobile Device
We found the Alexa app on our iOS iPad Air as shown in the next screenshot. In our case, the app is on the third home screen page. It’s pointed at by the blue arrow.
2. Run the Amazon Alexa App
The app then displays its Home screen as shown in the next screenshot.
3. Tap the Hamburger Control
Next, find the hamburger item in the top left corner of the screen, pointed at by the blue arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the Alexa app’s main menu, as shown in the next screenshot.
4. Tap the Settings Option on the App’s Main Menu
The Settings option is pointed at by the blue arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the Settings screen, as shown in the next screenshot. From here, choose which Alexa Echo device you wish to pair with your JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth speaker.
5. Tap the Echo Dot Device you Wish to Pair to your JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker
This takes you to the device-specific settings screen for the Echo speaker you chose.
In this demo, we’re pairing from our Bedroom Dot Echo Dot speaker to our Charge 3 speaker.
6. Tap the Bluetooth Item
Find the Bluetooth option pointed at by the blue arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the Bluetooth Devices screen, as shown next.
At this point, you’re ready to start a Bluetooth scan by your Echo Dot speaker. You’ve selected this Dot in the last step. So, that Dot will be the one that scans for Bluetooth devices.
But don’t press the Pair a New Device button just yet. We must first power up your JBL Charge 3 speaker and put it into pairing discovery mode.
7. Turn On your JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker
Put down your mobile device for a moment, and turn on the JBL Charge 3 by quickly pressing its Power button. See this pointed at by the green arrow in the next picture.
The speaker then powers up.
But since our Echo Dot 2 does not know about this speaker, the Charge 3 will not yet pair with it automatically. Thus, the light that comes on in the power switch depicts this not-paired state by glowing solid white, as shown next.
Note that your Charge 3 may be flashing blue, especially if you’ve never paired it with a device since the last factory reset. In that case, skip the next step (Step 8) and pick up with Step 9.
8. Put your Charge 3 JBL Bluetooth Speaker into Bluetooth Discovery Mode
Now, to allow the Alexa Echo Dot to find your JBL Charge 3 speaker, place the speaker into Bluetooth discovery mode. For that, press and release the Bluetooth button, as shown in the next picture, pointed at by the green arrow.
When you press the Bluetooth Discovery Mode button, the speaker makes a repeating single pluck guitar note sound several times. Also, the power button changes from a solid white glow to flashing blue. See this next.
9. Go Back to your Mobile Device
The screen with the blue Pair a New Device button should still be showing, as in the next screenshot.
10. Tap the Pair a New Device Button
This starts your Echo Dot scanning for any nearby Bluetooth devices that are themselves in Bluetooth discovery mode. Your Charge 3 is now in Bluetooth discovery mode. So your Dot should find it if close enough to be in range.
So, after a short pause, you should see something like the screen we got. Shown next.
In our demo, the Amazon Alexa app found our JBL Charge 3 speaker, named JBL Charge 3.
11. Find your JBL Charge 3 on the Discovered Devices List
See the screenshot above. Our scan found two devices. It found the JBL Charge 3 as well as our Roku player. So, we located our Charge 3 speaker in the list, as pointed at by the dark purple arrow in that picture.
12. Finally, Pair your Echo Dot with your JBL Charge 3 Portable Speaker
Pair to the JBL Charge 3 by tappng the listed speaker in the Bluetooth Setup screen, shown in the last screenshot above.
The Echo Dot then pairs with the Charge 3. The Alexa App’s Bluetooth Settings screen then rearranges to look something like the following.
Also, the JBL Charge 3 makes the Speaker Paired sound (the three ascending guitar notes). Note that the Bluetooth symbol to the left of the listed speaker item turns blue in the last screenshot, as pointed at by the dark purple arrow.
The JBL Charge 3 is now paired with your Echo Dot mini smart speaker. The Charge 3 power button now glows solid blue to indicate successful pairing, as shown next.
We have now successfully paired our Charge 3 with our Amazon Echo Dot II Alexa speaker. We can now ask Alexa to play music on this Dot. Then, those tunes will play on the bodacious sounding JBL Charge 3 wireless power bank speaker. Enjoy!
Related Posts to Pairing JBL Charge 3 with Amazon Alexa Echo Dot
- Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 2 Pairing Instructions
- JBL Flip 4 Alexa Pairing Bluetooth Speaker Instructions
- How to Pair UE Wonderboom with Alexa Echo Speakers
- Pairing Victor Reader Trek Player with JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker, How To
- Ultimate Ears Wonderboom Pairing Instructions
Other Posts About the JBL Charge 3 Power Bank BT Speaker
- JBL Charge 3 Charger Adapter Specs
- Finding JBL Charge 3 Firmware Version
- JBL Charge 3 Firmware Update Instructions
- JBL Charge 3 Google Home Pairing Instructions
- Charge 3 JBL Speaker Factory Reset Instructions
Other Posts About Amazon Alexa Echo Dot
- Pairing JBL Charge 3 with Amazon Alexa Echo Dot
- How to Pair JBL Xtreme with Amazon Alexa Echo Speakers
- How to Find Alexa IP Address for Amazon Echo Devices
- Deregister Echo Dot Instructions, How to Deregister Amazon Alexa Speakers
- How to Set Sleep Timer on Amazon Alexa Echo Dot
References for Pairing JBL Charge 3 with Amazon Alexa Echo Dot Speakers
- JBL Charge 3 Portable Bluetooth Speaker and Power Bank Product Page, on JBL.com
- Amazon Alexa Echo Dot II Speaker Product Page, at Amazon.com
- 2020-04-21: Added more tags.
- 2019-04-13: Shortened post URL and added tags.
- 2018-07-19: First published.