This piece gives Sony SRS XB01 speaker charging instructions. Recharge this speaker easily through the micro USB DC power input port, behind the water resistant door on the top right edge of the unit, shown in the pictures below. Note that you can still play your XB01 while recharging it, without increasing the replenish time too much, especially if you are using a higher-current USB charger.
Sony SRS XB01 Charging Instructions Summary
First, the unit comes with a suitable USB-A to micro USB charger cord. But you must provide a strong enough AC or car supply with a USB-A female connector, to plug that lead into. This particular speaker requires about 2.5 watts (5 volts at 500 milliamps) for the shortest charge time of three (3) hours. Note that using a charger that offers more current than this will not appreciably decrease the charging time of this speaker.
Now then, once you choose the charger you will use, plug it into a “live” AC outlet.
Then after three hours, the XB01 finishes charging. So it’s ready to play once more for up to six (6) hours before needing another recharge.
Sony SRS XB01 Charging Instructions, Step by Step
1. Choose an Adequate Size AC or Car Adapter
As mentioned earlier, the power adapter you use should provide 5 volts and at least 0.5 amps (2.5 watts). So here, we use the Key Power model HDD15-3-PD USB power delivery system along with a thick-enough micro USB supply cable.
2. Open the Port Cap Door
Use a fingernail, dime, penny, or small screwdriver to pry open the waterproof seal port cover on the XB01 back.
See the opened power port compartment in the next picture. Take care not to scratch the delicate seal around the inside edge of this cap, lest it no longer seal properly.
Prying open this door exposes the micro USB charging port inside, as shown in the last picture, pointed at by the bright green arrow.
3. Power OFF the Speaker to Continue with Sony SRS XB01 Charging Instructions
Note that the SRSXB01 still charges when powered ON. But depending on how much extra charging juice your supply delivers, the speaker might recharge a bit faster when it’s not running. It will definitely charge more rapidly when you’re not playing it at louder volumes.
4. Plug the USB Cord into the XB01
Then, plug the matching end of your charging cable into the DC input micro USB port on the speaker, as we see in the next photo.
5. Plug the Other End of the USB Cable into your Charger Adapter
If the supply you use has a removable wire, then be sure to connect the matching end of the USB power cable to the AC or car adapter you have.
6. Plug the USB Adapter into a Working Wall Receptacle to Continue with Sony SRS XB01 Charging Instructions
Now that we connected the XB01 and our adapter, we then plug the mains end of the supply box into a working AC outlet, as shown next. We connected ours to a GE surge protecting power strip.
The CHARGE lamp then lights up solid orange on the speaker, as we see next.
7. Let the XB01 Continue Charging Until the CHARGE Light Goes Dark
Full battery recharging finishes when the CHARGE lamp turns off, as shown next.
8. Unplug the Micro USB Charging Cable from the Speaker
9. Fully Close the Port Door / Cap
Note that unless you seat the port cap fully, water may run into its ports. And, since water and electronic components do not work well together, getting those connections wet might degrade them. So be sure to press this door closed with enough force to fully seat it, for maximum moisture protection.
10. Done with Sony SRS XB01 Charging Instructions !
We have now fully charged our XB01 speaker.
Finally, repeat this recharging every (up to) twelve hours of play, to keep the battery in top condition for at least several years to come.
Other Posts About the SRS XB01 Sony Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Sony SRS XB01 Battery Indicator and Charging Light Explained
- Sony SRS XB01 Factory Reset Instructions
- How to Connect Sony SRS XB01 to iPhone
- Sony SRS XB01 Button Functions Explained
- How to Turn Off the XB01
Related Posts to Sony SRS XB01 Charging Instructions
- Charging Instructions for the Sony SRS XB20 Bluetooth Speaker
- Sony SRS XB21 Charging Instructions
- Sony SRS XB22 Speaker Charging Instructions
- SRS XB23 Sony BT Speaker Charging Instructions
- Sony SRS XB31 Charging Instructions
- 2021-10-21: First published.