This piece gives Sony SRS XB22 speaker charging instructions. Recharge this speaker easily through the micro USB DC power input port, behind the water resistant door in the rear of the unit, shown in the pictures below. Note that you can still play your XB22 while charging, without raising the recharge time very much, especially if you are using a full-current USB charger.
Sony SRS XB22 Charging Instructions Summary
First, the unit comes with a suitable USB-A to micro USB charger cord. But you must provide a strong enough USB power supply with a USB-A female connector, to plug that wire into. This particular speaker requires about 7.5 watts (5 volts at 1.5 amps max) for the shortest charge time of four (4) hours. However, you can use a 500 milliamp charger so long as you don’t mind the charge time increasing to ten (10) hours. We suggest a full-current USB 2.0 adapter since they’re so inexpensive these days. Plus, you get the fastest recharging as well.
At any rate, once you choose the charger you will use, plug it into a working AC outlet.
Then after four hours with a full current charger, your XB22 finishes charging. So it’s ready to play once more for up to twelve (12) hours before needing another fill-up.
Sony SRS XB22 Charging Instructions, Step by Step
1. Choose Properly Sized AC or Car Adapter
As mentioned earlier, the power adapter you use should provide 5 volts and at least 1.5 amps (7.5 watts). So here, we use the Key Power model HDD15-3-PD USB power delivery system along with a thick-enough USB supply cable.
2. Open the Port Cap Door
Use a fingernail, dime, penny, or small screwdriver to pry open the waterproof seal port cover on the XB22.
See the opened power port compartment in the next picture. Take care not to scratch the delicate seal around the inside edge of this cap, lest it no longer seal properly.
Prying open this door exposes the micro USB charging port inside, as shown in the last picture, pointed at by the blue arrow.
3. Power OFF the Speaker to Continue with Sony SRS XB22 Charging Instructions
Note that the SRSXB22 still charges when powered ON. But depending on how much above-and-beyond recharging juice your charger delivers, the speaker might charge a little faster when it’s not running. It will definitely charge more quickly when you’re not playing it at louder volumes.
4. Plug the USB Cord into the XB22
Then, plug the matching end of your charging cable into the DC input micro USB port on the speaker, as we see in the next shot.
5. Plug the Other End of the USB Cable into your Charger Adapter
If the supply you use has a removable wire, then be sure to connect the matching end of the USB power cable to the AC or car adapter you have.
6. Plug the USB Adapter into a Working Wall Receptacle to Continue with Sony SRS XB22 Charging Instructions
Now that we connected the XB22 and our adapter, we then plugged the mains end of the supply box into a working AC outlet, as shown next. We plugged ours into a surge protecting power strip.
The CHARGE lamp then lights up solid orange on the speaker, as we see next.
7. Let the XB22 Continue Charging Until the CHARGE Light Goes Dark
Full battery recharging finishes when the CHARGE lamp turns off, as shown next.
8. Unplug the Micro USB Charging Cable from the Speaker
9. Fully Close the Port Door / Cap
Note that unless you seat the port cap fully, water may run into its ports. And, since water and electronic components do not work well together, getting those connections wet might degrade them. So be sure to press this door closed with enough force to fully seat it, for maximum moisture protection.
10. Done with Sony SRS XB22 Charging Instructions !
We have now fully charged our XB22 speaker.
Finally, repeat this recharging every (up to) twelve hours of play, to keep the battery in top condition for at least several years to come.
Other Posts About the SRS XB22 Sony Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Sony SRS XB22 Battery Indicator Explained
- Sony SRS XB22 Factory Reset Instructions
- How to Connect Sony SRS XB22 to iPhone
- Sony SRS XB22 Button Functions Explained
- Sony SRS XB22 How to Turn Off This Wireless Speaker
Related Posts to Sony SRS XB22 Charging Instructions
- SRS XB23 Sony Speaker Charging Instructions
- Sony SRS XB31 Charging Instructions
- Sony SRS XB32 Charging Instructions
- Charging Instructions for the Sony SRS XB33 Bluetooth Speaker
- Sony SRS XB41 Speaker Charging Instructions
- 2021-10-20: First published.