This piece gives Sony SRS XB23 speaker charging instructions. Recharge this speaker easily through the USB-C power in port, behind the water resistant door near the bottom of the unit, just below the buttons panel, as shown in the pictures below. Note that you can still play your XB23 cylinder speaker during charging, without adding to the recharge time too much, especially if you are using a full-current USB charger.
Sony SRS XB23 Charging Instructions Summary
First, the unit comes with a suitable USB-A to USB-C charger cable. But you must provide a strong enough USB adapter with a USB-A female connector, to plug that cord into. This particular speaker requires about 7.5 watts (5 volts at 1.5 amps max). Thus any full-current USB 2.0 power supply should work nicely here.
At any rate, once you choose the charger you will use, plug it into a working AC outlet.
Then after four hours, your XB23 finishes charging. So it’s ready to play once more for up to twelve (12) hours before needing another recharge.
Sony SRS XB23 Charging Instructions, Step by Step
1. Choose Properly Sized AC or Car Adapter
The charging adapter should, as mentioned above, offer 5 volts at 1.5 amps (7.5 watts) available power, at least. So here, we use the Key Power model HDD15-3-PD USB power delivery system along with a thick USB supply cable.
2. Open the Port Cap Door
Use a fingernail, dime, penny, or small screwdriver to pry open the waterproof seal port cover on the XB23.
See the opened power port compartment in the next picture. Be careful not to scratch the delicate seal around the inside edge of this door.
Prying open this door exposes the USB charging port inside, as shown in the last picture, pointed at by the green arrow.
3. Power OFF the Unit to Continue with Sony SRS XB23 Speaker Charging
Note that the SRSXB23 still charges when powered ON. But depending on how much above-and-beyond recharging amperage your charger provides, the speaker might recharge somewhat faster when not running. It will certainly charge faster when you’re not playing it at louder volumes.
4. Plug the USB-C Cord into the XB23
Then, plug the matching end of your charging cable into the port, as we see in the next shot.
5. Plug the Other End of the USB Cable into your Charger Adapter
If the supply you use has a removable cord, then be sure to connect the matching end of the USB power cable to the AC or car adapter you have.
6. Plug the USB Adapter into a Working Wall Receptacle to Continue with Sony SRS XB23 Speaker Charging
Now that we connected the XB23 and our adapter, we then plugged the mains end of the supply box into a working AC outlet, as shown next. We plugged ours into a surge protecting power strip.
The CHARGE lamp then lights up solid orange on the speaker. And while no battery status gauge shows percentage of charge, the glowing lamp means that charging is indeed occurring, as we see next.
7. Let the XB23 Continue Charging Until the CHARGE Light Goes Out
Full battery charging wraps up when the CHARGE lamp turns off, as shown next.
8. Unplug the USB-C Power Cable from the Speaker
9. Fully Close the Port Door / Cap
Note that unless you seat the port cap correctly, water may flow into its power in / out ports. And, since water and electronics do not work well together, getting those connections wet might deteriorate the delicate contacts inside. So be certain to press this door closed with enough force to fully seat it, for maximum moisture protection.
See the properly closed port door in the last picture.
10. Done with Sony SRS XB23 Charging !
We have now fully charged our XB23 speaker.
Finally, repeat this recharging every (up to) twelve hours of play, to keep the battery in top condition for years to come.
Other Posts About the SRS XB23 Portable Sony Bluetooth Speaker
- Sony SRS XB23 Battery Indicator and Charging Light Explained
- Updating Firmware on Sony SRS XB23 Speaker
- Sony SRS XB23 Factory Reset Instructions
- How to Connect the XB23 to an iPhone
- Sony SRS XB23 Buttons Explained
Related Posts to Sony SRS XB23 Charging Instructions
- Sony SRS XB31 Charging Instructions
- Sony SRS XB32 Charging Instructions
- Charging Instructions for the Sony SRS XB33 Bluetooth Speaker
- Sony SRS XB41 Speaker Charging Instructions
- Charging Instructions for the Sony SRS XB43 Speaker
- 2021-10-20: First published.