So in this piece, we show unboxing and connecting Google Chromecast Audio receiver. The Google Chromecast Audio receiver is a streaming audio media player. It acts as a line level audio output device for Chromecast enabled applications. These apps run on phones, tablets, and desktop computers. This Cast Audio receiver works as well as Bluetooth, in that so many streaming apps on Android, iOS, PC, and Mac platforms can cast to it.
This streaming receiver also provides line-level audio output via the 3.6mm plug on its side. This allows you to play your streaming Chromecast Audio on most any external, amplified speakers and headphones. Quite the versatile device.
Note though, that this receiver does not respond to voice commands. That it, it does not run the Google Assistant. But you can cast to it from other devices that do run the assistant, such as the Google Home, Google Home Mini, and Google Home Max smart speakers.
Unboxing and Connecting Google Chromecast Audio Receiver
1. Lay Out the Box for Easy Opening
First, turn the box onto its side such that the orange arrow tape faces you, as shown in the next picture.
2. Remove the Tape
Next, grasp the tab with the large arrow on it. Then, pull it down the length of the box.
3. Lift Up Box Flap
Then, with the orange arrow tape gone, lift open the flap on the box. We show how we did this in the next picture. We drew in the pink arrow, that points at the box flap.
4. Lay Box Flap Flat for Easy Reading
Next, with the flap open, lay it out flat.
This exposes a brief set of “Getting Started” hints, along with an inner lid. It’s the white flat piece with the Chromecast logo on it, as shown in the next picture.
5. Remove this Lid
Doing so then reveals a tray that holds the Chromecast Audio receiver along with a short 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo patch cable. This audio cord is used for patching the Chromecast receiver to powered speakers or a Hi Fi home theater / system.
6. Unbox the Accessories
Next, remove the yellow patch cable and receiver from the plastic tray, as shown next. This Cast Audio receiver is black in color, and looks like a small hockey puck.
7. Lift the Tray Out of the Package
Then, this shows the USB power adapter and micro USB power cable, as shown next.
8. Find the Chromecast Audio Power Supply
Next, take out the power supply and cable from the box, as shown next.
9. Get Chromecast Power Cord Ready for Use
Then take off the “wire tie” from the power cable and uncoil the cord.
10. Find the USB Power Port on the Chromecast Audio
Locate the micro USB port on this Chromecast Audio device, as shown in the next picture.
Connect Google Chromecast Audio Receiver
11. Connect Power Cord to the Cast Audio Receiver
Next, plug the micro USB end of the power cable into the USB port. Find this port on the side of the Cast Audio disc.
12. Plug Power Adapter into Chromecast Audio
Then plug the A end of the cable into the power supply.
13, Find the Yellow Audio Patch Cable
Next, locate the 3.5mm audio port on the Chromecast Audio receiver, as shown in the next picture.
14. Plug Patch Cord into the Google Cast Audio Receiver
Then plug one end of the yellow audio cable into the audio port on the receiver, as shown in the next picture.
15. Plug the AC End of the Power Adapter into a Working Outlet
Finally, this turns on the Chromecast Audio receiver, as shown by the pilot lamp. This lamp lights up when the unit boots. Shown in the next picture.
16. Connect Google Chromecast Audio Receiver Done!
Your Google Chromecast Audio speaker is now ready for setup. Use the Google Home app to connect it to your Wi-Fi network and connect it to your favorite streaming music services.
17. Connect Google Chromecast Audio Output to your Amplifier
At last, after setup, connect the Chromecast receiver to your amplified speakers or home stereo system with the included yellow audio cable. Feel free to use a longer cable if you must. Cable length does not affect Chromecast performance much here.
- How to Reboot the Google Chromecast Audio Receiver Device
- Google Home Chromecast App on iOS Screen Shots 2016
- How to Adjust Bass and Treble on Google Chromecast Audio Receiver
- Where is the Reset Button on the Google Chromecast Audio Receiver
- Google Chromecast Audio Receiver USB Power Adapter Specs
- Chromecast Audio Unboxing and Setup, on YouTube.com
- Google Chromecast Audio Receiver–What’s in the Box, on Google Support
- 2017-11-05: Added a Related Posts section.
- 2017-03-29: Originally published.