Here, we show how to run an Echo Dot factory reset routine, to reset the speaker back to its factory settings and possibly, to restore proper working.
The Echo Dot talking speakers need a factory reset every now and then. This restores them to out-of-box, factory default parameters. Factory resetting Alexa smart speakers like the Echo Dot models, also fixes many bizarre behaviors they sometimes act out.
These instructions are useful because with new versions of these speakers coming out annually, people will likely sell their older models in large numbers. So they’ll want to know how to completely wipe any personal data out of the Echo Dots before they get rid of them. Factory resetting does just that. It prepares the speakers for resale to another person. We cover all three current models of the Echo Dot speakers in this piece.
We give the factory reset procedures for all three models of the Echo Dot, with the latest model (the Echo Dot 3rd generation speaker) listed first, then the older generation 2 model, and finally, the oldest generation 1 Echo Dot.
Echo Dot Factory Reset of the Gen 3 Dot to Instructions
1. Attach Wall Power Cable
First, connect the Dot 3rd Generation speaker to its 12-volt power adapter cord, as shown next.
2. Next, Plug the Power Adapter into a Working Wall Outlet
See this as shown next.
Then, wait for the generation 3 Echo Dot to finish booting. It’s done when either the light ring goes all the way dark, or it flashes orange, red, or purple.
3. Next, Press and Hold the Action Button for 5 to 10 Seconds
Depress the Action button until the light ring turns orange, and the smart speaker announces that it is entering setup mode. On this Alexa speaker, the Action button doubles as the Reset button, and is pointed at by the green arrow in the next picture.
4. Finally, What Happens After Reset?
Your Echo Dot 3rd Generation speaker is now restored to its factory default settings, and has entered setup mode, as shown next.
Echo Dot Factory Reset of the Gen 2 Dot back to Factory Default State Instructions
Power up this speaker before resetting.
1. Connect your Echo Dot 2 to Power
Connect the Amazon Echo Dot 2 to its USB power adapter. The light ring glows blue for a time, and then goes dark. This means good boot up.
2. Press the Echo Dot 2 Factory Reset Button Combo
See our Where is the Amazon Echo Dot Reset Button post, for details on how to find the reset button on the 1st and 2nd gen Echo Dot devices. At any rate, once the light ring goes black, press and hold the Mic Mute and Volume Down buttons. Press these at the same time for the same amount of time.
3. Wait for Echo Dot 2 Factory Reset to Finish
After a several-seconds pause, the light ring again goes black for a brief pause, and then glows orange.
4. Echo Dot 2 Factory Reset Now Done
You have now factory reset your Amazon Echo Dot 2 speaker and restored its factory default settings. It has now entered setup mode.
Echo Dot Factory Reset of the Generation 1 Dot back to Factory Default Instructions
1. Power Up the Echo Dot 1
Connect the 1st Gen Amazon Echo Dot to its USB power supply. The light ring will light up blue for a bit, and then go off once the Dot completes booting.
2. Press the Echo Dot 1 Factory Reset Button
Once the light ring goes black, use a paper clip end to press in and hold the Reset button. Keep pressing for five to ten seconds. Then, let it go when the light ring turns orange, and then blue.
3. Wait for the Factory Reset to Finish
After a several-seconds pause, the light ring goes black for a brief few seconds, and then turns orange.
4. Echo Dot 1 Factory Reset Now Done
You have now restored your Alexa Echo Dot 1st Gen speaker to its factory default state. The speaker enters setup mode after a factory reset.
Set Up or Pack Up
You may now give your Echo Dot to a loved one or buyer. Don’t fret that they’ll learn your speaker settings in your Alexa Amazon account. Factory reset erases those data from your Echo Dot. You might decide to set it up again on your existing account.
Once the light ring turns orange, the Dot remains in setup mode until someone runs a fresh setup procedure. The Echo Dot won’t function until set up and linked to an Amazon account again.
- Factory Reset Echo Spot Instructions, How to Factory Reset
- How to Factory Reset Google Home Mini Speaker
- JBL Flip 4 Reset Instructions, How to Factory Reset the JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker
- Factory Reset Echo Dot 3rd Generation Instructions, How To
- JBL Flip 3 Reset Instructions, How to Factory Reset the JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker
- Alexa Factory Reset Echo Dot Instructions
- Factory Reset Amazon Echo Instructions
- JBL Charge 3 Reset Instructions, How to Factory Reset the JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker
- Factory Reset Echo Dot 2nd Generation Instructions
- 2019-01-07: First published.