You might factory reset Google Mini smart speaker to clear out its data, for gift or sale to another person. Or, maybe you want to link it to another Google account. But then again, perhaps you desire to connect it to a different Wi-Fi network. Whatever the purpose, this piece should help you with enough instruction to get the job done. So to see how to perform a factory reset Google Mini routine, follow the step-by-step directions, coming next.
Factory Reset Google Mini Speaker Instructions: Might Be Unnecessary
Warning. Once factory reset, you cannot work the Google Mini from the account where it worked before. To control the Mini again, run through its setup routine. In that routine, relink the speaker to that account once more, via the Google Home app. Or, link it to another Google account. Either way, the choice is yours.
Note that if you want to fix erratic Google Mini behavior, you may not have to run a complete factory reset. So, before resetting, try powering off the mini Google speaker for fifteen seconds. Specifically, shut it off by unplugging its AC power cable. Then, wait fifteen seconds. Finally, power the Mini up again. This often restores normal operation.
But if simple power cycling does not cure the trouble, then read on. Or if you wish not to solve a problem but to give the unit away, then again, read on.
How to Factory Reset Google Mini: The Step-By-Step Instructions
1. Connect the Google Mini to AC Power
After boot completes, go on to step 2.
2. Press and Hold the Reset Button
Find this button in the orange circular area on the speaker bottom, near the AC power cord plug.
One light on the top then lights up yellow, as shown next. Then, the Google assistant warns you that you’re about to reset the device. The speaker lets you know that to cancel the factory reset, release the button now. But keep holding the reset button in to begin resetting. Once factory resetting starts, do not unplug the Google Mini until it enters Setup mode. Otherwise, you may brick (break) your speaker beyond repair.
Google Mini Factory Reset Starts
The first yellow light then comes on. Next, one more turns on every few seconds until the entire row of four lights up. Factory reset begins immediately thereafter, as long as you keep the factory reset button firmly depressed.
3. Release the Reset Button
Let go of the factory reset button when the unit plays a short chime chord sound and the yellow lights go dark.
4. The Factory Reset Starts
Reset begins once the lights go out and the unit stays dark for several seconds, as shown next.
After a pause, the white lights come back on. They show a scanning marquee pattern for three or five seconds, as shown next.
Rebooting after Factory Reset
5. The Google Mini Then Reboots Itself
After three to six seconds, the speaker again goes dark as the factory reset wraps up. Then, the reboot after that reset starts, as shown next.
After several to ten seconds, the lights come back on, colored dull gray. They show a scanning pattern, as shown next. Thus, a reboot after the reset is in progress.
Several seconds into the reboot, the lights turn multi-colored as shown next.
6. Google Mini Reboot Finishes
Then, you hear the startup complete music and then the speaker speaks, “Welcome to Google Home. To get started, download the Google Home app on a phone or tablet.”
7. The Google Mini Then Enters Setup Mode
This means that the unit is now ready to accept setup commands from the Google Home App. The Mini indicates this by showing the four white blips across the top. These light dots show a dimming and then brightening pattern. See this in the next picture.
8. Google Mini Factory Reset Now Complete
The light row then turns white with the four dots glowing. Then, the unit then stays in that state, in setup mode, until you run the setup procedure. Note that the Mini will not function fully again until properly set up and linked to a working Google account once more.
You may now give your Google Mini speaker to a friend or stranger. But do not fear that they’ll access your settings or other personal info stored at Google. Or, feel free to set it up again on your existing account, perhaps with a different Wi-Fi network or device name.
- Google Mini Smart Speaker Picture Gallery
- Factory Reset Echo Dot 2nd Generation Instructions
- How to Reboot the Google Mini Smart Speaker
- Factory Reset Amazon Echo Instructions
- Reset Chromecast Audio to Factory Settings, How To
- HP DeskJet 3630 Factory Reset, How To
- Chromecast Audio Factory Reset Instructions
- Alexa Factory Reset Echo Dot Instructions
- Factory Reset Alexa Instructions, Dot, Spot, Echo
- JBL Flip 3 Reset Instructions, How to Factory Reset the JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Factory Reset Amazon Echo Dot Speakers
- Echo Dot Factory Reset Instructions
- Factory Reset UE Wonderboom Speaker, How To
- How to Reset Google Mini Speaker
- Factory Reset Wonderboom Bluetooth Speaker Instructions
- Factory Data Reset (FDR) Google Home Mini, from Google Support
- Google Home Official Help and Support Page
- 2019-04-17: Added tags.
- 2018-12-21: First published.