You may need to reset an Amazon Smart Plug to restore correct operation should it stop answering Alexa commands coming from either your Echo smart speaker or the Alexa app. Or, perhaps you want to change the WiFi network and / or password to which this smart plug connects. In either case a reset will prepare this smart plug for these actions.
- Note that a reset erases the saved WiFi network information from the plug’s internal memory.
- If your plug is connected to your WiFi and and Amazon account, then the reset also removes the plug from your Amazon account. So, if you’re resetting the plug to get it ready to sell, we suggest this procedure. Again, resetting not only clears out the plug’s memory, but also deletes it from your Amazon account.
- Once reset, the plug no longer connects to your WiFi network. Thus, you will no longer be able to control it via the Alexa app or from your Echo speakers. To restore full operation, you’ll need to set up the plug once again.
How to Reset Amazon Smart Plug, Step by Step
1. Connect the Plug to AC Power
Plug the smart plug into a working AC outlet as shown next. The pilot lamp will flash red a few times, and either start flashing blue, or turn off entirely as it does in the next picture.
2. Press and Hold the Action button to Reset the Amazon Smart Plug
Find the Action button highlighted in the next picture by the blue arrow.
Keep that button pressed in, until the status light starts blinking red.
You may see the light flash a blue and red at first. If so, then keep holding the Action button until the blue stops, and all you see is a red on and off blinking, as shown next.
3. Next, Release the Action Button when Lamp Blinks Only Red
Wait for the light to begin flashing red. You should see no blue in the blinking pilot lamp.
Then, when you let go of the button, the light then glows a solid red for several seconds while reset takes place.
Finally, the light begins blinking on and off blue (no red here) as seen next.
4. Done with How to Reset Amazon Smart Plug !
The on and off red flashing means that the reset is now complete, and your plug is now ready for sale or setup on your account once again.
Related Posts to How to Reset Amazon Smart Plug
- How to Reset Echo Studio Speaker
- How to Reset Alexa Dot 3rd Generation Speaker
- JBL Charge 4 Speaker How to Reset
- How to Reset JBL Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Reset Xfinity Remote XR2 U2
References for How to Reset an Amazon Smart Plug
- 2020-12-17: First published.