Shows how to reset Honeywell thermostat RTH8580WF. Resetting clears out all user set settings. It erases the WiFi network and restores the t-stat to factory default condition.
We suggest resetting when working smart thermostat problems. This rules out the chance that bad settings are causing the issue. Keep in mind though, that after a reset, the RTH8580WF forgets any programmed settings. So you must enter your home WiFi network info again. Also, any customized run schedules are erased. The t-stat returns to the useful, but not always desirable, daily heating and cooling schedules. So again, you may need to adjust them again to match your needs.
Prior to Honeywell Thermostat RTH8580WF Reset
Before restoring to factory default settings, round up your thermostat’s manual hat shipped with it. Or, you can find it online at Honeywell’s web site.
Write down the current daily program schedule currently stored in the thermostat if you’ve changed it from the default schedule.
Run down through the Functions and Settings pages (numbered parameters list). Jot down any settings that you’ve changed that tailor the RTH8580WF to your specific heating / cooling system. These might include filter-change reminder settings, WiFi network info, system type, t-stat name, et al.
Reset Honeywell Thermostat RTH8580WF Instructions, Step by Step
Once you write down any custom settings, you can now safely return RTH8580WF to factory default state. Do that as follows.
1. Tap the SYSTEM Button
It’s on the touchscreen, as shown above at the left side of the screen.
The screen then changes to look like the following.
2. Press and Hold the Third Empty Square
Find that square near the bottom of the touchscreen, third square fro the left. Keep pressing until the Configuration Parameters screen appears, as shown next.
3. Get to Setting 0710 to Continue with How to Reset Honeywell RTH8580WF Thermostat
Press the first set of UP-DOWN arrows, to advance to the Restore Original Settings option (parameter 0710).
The screen should look as follows before moving on to the next step.
4. Change the 0710 Setting from 0 to 1
To do that, tap the UP / DOWN arrows at the far right of the touchscreen. Tap until the value of setting 0710 is a 1. The screen then should look like that shown next.
Taking the next step erases all custom settings. So do not proceed until you feel that you can set it up the right way. Get help from a climate control tech if you’re not sure. Resetting may disable some HVAC features. So make sure yo know how to adjust these settings to the right values for your system, before you reset the RTH8580WF.
5. Touch the DONE Button
Again, record the settings changed when you first installed the thermostat. Then press the DONE button in the lower left corner of the screen, shown in the last picture.
This starts the factory default reset of the Honeywell RTH8580WF thermostat.
The screen goes black a couple of times, as seen next.
Then after several seconds, it prompts you to enter the correct date, as follows.
7. Program the Current Date to Continue with How to Reset the Honeywell RTH8580WF Thermostat
Use the UP and DOWN arrows beside the year, month, and day to adjust these to their correct settings.
When the correct date appears, press the DONE button.
The time setting screen is then shown as follows.
8. Enter the Current Time of Day
Touch the UP / DOWN arrow buttons. Find these beside the time display. Tap them until the right time appears, as in our case, displayed next.
9. Press the DONE Button
The RTH8580WF then shows the main status and menu screen as seen next. The default system state is OFF, and the default 7-day program is now in effect.
From here, you can set the temperature, enter your WiFi info (described here), and set any custom settings you need.
10. Done with How to Reset Honeywell RTH8580WF Thermostat !
Other Posts About the Honeywell RTH8580WF WiFi Thermostat
- Honeywell WiFi Thermostat RTH8580WF Manual
- How to Take Off Hold on Honeywell Thermostat
- How to Change Honeywell Thermostat Temperature Setting
- Change Wireless Network on Honeywell WiFi Thermostat RTH8580WF
- 7 Day Programmable Thermostat Reviews
Other Posts About the Honeywell Thermostat
Related Posts to Reset Honeywell Thermostat RTH8580WF Instructions
- Echo Sub Reset Instructions
- Reset HP DeskJet 3630 Printer Instructions
- JBL Xtreme Reset Instructions
- Resetting Google Home Mini Speaker Instructions
- Amazon Dot 2 Reset Instructions
References for Reset Honeywell Thermostat RTH8580WF
- Additional Info on Wifi Thermostats from Honeywell
- Honeywell Total Connect Comfort Solutions web site
- Where to buy the Honeywell RTH8580WF Thermostat
- What is a Programmable Thermostat? on Wikipedia
- 2019-05-12: Added targeting for ‘Reset Honeywell Thermostat RTH8580WF’, removed ad code, and added tags.
- 2017-01-15: Simplified this article’s title to: How to Reset Honeywell Thermostat RTH8580WF to Factory Default
- 2016-02-09: Originally published.