These JBL Charge 4 hard reset instructions show how to hard reset your JBL Charge 4 Bluetooth speaker. Resetting puts the speaker back into its default factory state. Plus, it wipes any earlier paired Bluetooth devices from memory, and so, stops the speaker from pairing to any nearby Bluetooth devices after the reset. Also, hard reset it to get the Charge 4 ready for sale or re gifting.
JBL Charge 4 Hard Reset Instructions
1. Turn on the JBL Charge 4
Press and release the Power button. It should light up solid white right away.
Find the Power button, pointed at by the green arrow in the last picture above.
Then, the Power button comes on, as shown next. Here, since we’ve paired the speaker with Bluetooth devices before this, it does not enter Bluetooth discovery mode by itself. We know that because the Bluetooth button remains OFF, rather than blinking white. Note the dark Bluetooth button, to the right of the glowing Power button in the next picture.
2. Wait for the Power Up Sound
The Charge 4 makes a rising electric guitar strum sound when it powers up, and is ready for factory resetting once this sound finishes.
3. Press the Volume UP and Bluetooth Buttons Together
See the next picture to find the Bluetooth and UP Volume buttons.
The speaker then enters hard reset, as shown in the next picture. Note that both the Power and Bluetooth buttons and the egg shaped ring that surrounds them. All of these light up for a couple seconds during reset. I.e. The ring and both buttons glow gray-white.
Then after a short pause, the JBL Charge 4 turns off. All lights go off, and it makes the power-down guitar sound.
The next picture shows the JBL Charge 4, powered down. All buttons are dark.
4. Check that your JBL Charge 4 Did Hard Reset
Next, power on the speaker again, as we did in step 1 above. In short, press and release the Power button.
Now this time, after hard reset, our speaker instantly comes up in Bluetooth discovery mode, as shown next. We did not have to press the Bluetooth button first. Note that the Bluetooth button blinks to let you know that the speaker has entered Bluetooth discovery mode. When this button blinks or is dark, the speaker is not currently paired. Indeed, we expect it not to pair to anything after a hard reset.
The JBL Charge 4 hard reset is now done. Thus you may now pack it up for sale, or pair it again with your favorite Bluetooth devices.
Since, as noted prior, the Charge 4 will no longer automatically pair with any previously paired, in range Bluetooth device in Bluetooth pairing mode, you’ll need to forget the previously paired Charge 4 listed in the Bluetooth devices section of your source device settings. Once you do that, then manually pair the Charge 4 with that device again if you wish. Then after that, any time that both speaker and that device have Bluetooth turned on, pairing with automatically take place once more.
Other Posts About the JBL Charge 4 BT Speaker
- JBL Charge 4 Charging Instructions, How to Recharge
- Updating Firmware on JBL Charge 4, How To
- JBL Charge 4 Buttons Guide, What Each Button Does
- Charge 4 JBL Speaker Charger Adapter Specs
- How to Adjust Volume on JBL Charge 4 BT Speaker
Related Posts to JBL Charge 4 Hard Reset
- Hard Reset Alexa Echo Dot Instructions
- How to Hard Reset Google Home Smart Speaker
- JBL Flip 2 Hard Reset Instructions, How to Factory Hard Reset JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth Speaker, Someday Perhaps
- JBL Clip 3 Reset Instructions, How to Hard Factory Reset JBL Clip 3 Portable Bluetooth Speaker, Maybe Someday
- Hard Reset Echo Dot 1st Generation, Gen 1 Echo Dot Reset
References for JBL Charge 4 Hard Reset
- 2020-05-09: First published.