We’ve bought the Marpac 580 SleepMate white noise sound conditioner for review. We then ran it for a few months in the bedroom, without ill effects. Excellent, EXCELLENT sleep aid !
The Marpac 580A SleepMate sound conditioner offers the best white noise sound of the devices tested. It has similar white noise sound to the dual-speed SleepMate 980A, reviewed elsewhere. We prefer the motorized 580 white noise fan over the digital units. Like the 980A, the 580 creates a robust, pleasing white noise. But those digital sound screens make a “tinny” noise. That sound lacks bass; a big part of white noise that works.
Marpac 580 SleepMate Benefits, Features, Advantages, and Pros
Masks Ambient Noise Well
The 580 blocks intruding noise well for moderately quiet environments. But with our sensitive ears, we needed more 580s. Just one did not cover up the kinds of noise we often heard. It best masks mid-range and high-frequency noises.
The Marpac 580 SleepMate blocks lower frequency sounds fairly well too, although this could be better. Those so-called bumps in the night. E.g. The slamming doors. The booming television bass. The cars passing over rumble strips outside. All these noises, the 580 screens out quite well for such a small device.
Easy to Set Up
Just plug in the 580. Turn it on. Then spin the lid and sleve to shape the white noise sound.
Simple to Use
The 580 is simple to operate. It sports an on-off switch. There’s also a top disc adjustment that you can spin. Plus, it has a side ring that turns too, separately. These settings alter the timbre of the white noise. This feature matches the 580 to about any sleeping situation, room acoustics, types of surrounding noise, Etc.
Anti Vibration Foam Base
The Marpac 580A SleepMate comes with a foam rubber pad on the bottom. This pad isolates the 580 from the surface you set it on. The pad reduces any humming noise from the AC motor.
No Looping Effect
Built around a real AC motor and genuine fan blades, the Marpac 580 SleepMate creates a steady, non-looping, white noise. The 580 produces a very solid yet non repeating sound. But those annoying digital sleep noise machines of the 1990s differ. They play a three or five second long sample again and gain. Call us crazy. But we could hear that digital looping when trying to sleep. It kept us awake for hours. This sound screen though, just puts out a gentle air-blowing noise that acts as a sort of sound-blocking curtain.
We Sleep Better with SleepMate
With that in mind, this white noise maker truly enhances sleep quality. We wish we would have known about sound-blocking devices like this SleepMate long ago. As young adults attending college while living in a highly noisy apartment, we could have used the 580, ALOT! There, we would use much bigger table fans to make sufficient white noise to fall to sleep by. These fans however, while creating a great white noise, also made chilly drafts. But the Marpac 580 SleepMate creates most of the noise of the fan, but none of the draft. Plus, it’s much smaller.
Possible Health Benefits
Indeed, friends who kept the SleepMate white noise machines by their beds for two decades, like it too. They noticed their own health improving. Why? Because they slept better with the Marpac 580 SleepMate, especially in urban settings. We found it great at screening out irritating night time noises; such as the cats thumping around, and most traffic noise outside (except for excessively noisy motorcycles).
The Marpac 580 SleepMateis a lot smaller than fans. So it’s easier to find room for the 580A at the bedside.
Stays Clean and Easy to Clean
Unlike the fans that grew quite dusty over time, the 580 stays clean. Truly, it collects little dirt, as little air moves through it.
Goes Well with Most Any Bedroom Decor
Finally, the Marpac 580 SleepMate is a light gray color. To be sure, this blends well with most any room décor. In fact, we prefer this color to the ivory shade of the 980.
There’s very little to hate about the Marpac 580 SleepMate sound conditioner. Even the $49.99 price per unit seemed reasonable.
Marpac 580 SleepMate Disadvantages, Problems, Limitations, and Cons
At Times Not Loud Enough
The 580 is not loud enough at times for good sound screening; particularly in close quarters, where very thin walls are typical.
Does Not Mask Bassy Sounds Very Well
Further, it fails to block very low sounds well. For example, thud style noises usually get through. So, we suggest that Marpac design a bigger unit. E.g. One that creates more rumble. That then, would better cover the jolting thumps of footfalls above, door slams below, and noisy motorcycles outside.
Has Only One Speed
Besides, the Marpac 580 SleepMate runs at just one speed. But we like the two-speed option of the 980A to the one speed of this one.
In total then, the Marpac 580 SeepMate white noise fan is a great value. Indeed, it lacks none of the expected traits of a truly awesome sound conditioner; though perhaps some of them could improve a bit. Nonetheless, we love this sound screen, and would thus rate it at 95 out of 100.
- Marpac Dohm Serious Sleep SS Sound Conditioner Review
- Sleep Easy™ White Noise Fan Sound Screen Machine Review
- Marpac Dohm SleepMate 980A Sound Conditioner Review
- Dohm Marpac DS White Noise Machine Review
- Electric Baseboard Heater Noise, How to Fix
- Best Earplugs for Music Concerts and Musicians
- Best Noise Cancelling Headphones: Bose QC35 Bluetooth Earphones
- Hard Drive Clicking Noise Fix, Repair Ticking HDD
- Bose QuietComfort 15 Headphones Review
- Best Ear Plugs for Sleeping, Mighty Plugs Ear Plugs!
- Bose Wave Music System First Generation Review
- Glass Top Stove Pros, Cons, Advantages, Disadvantages
- Fixing Noisy Window Air Conditioners, How To
- Sony MDR 7509HD Professional Headphones Review
- Sharper Image LCD Atomic Alarm Clock Review
- Radio Shack Weather Radio 12-522 Review, All Hazards
- JBL Flip 2 Review and Features of this Bluetooth Speaker
- Convection Oven Advantages and Disadvantages
- Black & Decker Electric Kettle Review, Model JKC930C
- Pelonis Electric Radiator Heater, Oil, HO-0260 Review
- DE Lightning Charging Cable Review, 9 Ft, Sync Too
- PHAZR-5 UR5U9000LAB Remote Control Review
References for Marpac 580 SleepMate
- 2019-05-28: Tweaked the targeting for ‘Marpac 580 SleepMate’ and added more links and tags.
- 2019-02-17: Added more subheadings.
- 2018-03-05: Then updated the title and the content.
- 2017-02-06: Further, added the Related Posts section. Also updated tags list.
- 2015-11-16: Next, Added appropriate tags.
- 2014-11-13: Then, corrected some typos, Changed brand name from Marpac to Marpac Dohm.
- 2012-03-09: Original publication.