You may wish to change the hosting WiFi network to which the Netgear WNCE2001 internet adapter connects. Perhaps you changed the SSID and / or WiFi password of the hosting wireless network. Or, maybe you’d like to connect this adapter to a friend’s Wi-Fi while visiting. Perhaps your WNCE2001 is failing to connect to the Wi-Fi network you previously configured. In any of these cases, the problem may be solved by executing a hard reset procedure. Explained below with pictures, the reset erases the wireless network SSID and password that the WNCE2001 is currently configured to connect to. After that, you may configure it with the current values of any in-range wireless network. This is a factory default reset, and returns the WNCE2001 to fresh-out-of-box settings values.
1, Power on the WNCE2001. Connect either to a USB power port via the included USB cable, or power up with the included power supply, as pictured next. The power lamp glows amber for three quarters of a minute, as shown next.
Then it turns green, indicating successful booting, as shown next. Note however that the WLAN (Wi-Fi) lamp is dark, indicating that the adapter did not connect to any in-range wireless networks.
2. Reset the WNCE2001. We recommend factory resetting, to clear out any old or faulty settings, and start the reprogramming process from a known-good point. Reset the WNCE2001 by pressing and holding the RESET button for ten seconds with a small paper clip end or rigid bag tie. Avoid pressing harder than necessary. The reset process has begun in earnest when the Power LED begins blinking slowly. Release the reset button when you see this. Eventually, the blinking stops and the unit reboots with factory default settings in effect. After just over half a minute, it finishes booting but does not connect to any wireless networks. The status lamps glow as pictured just above, with just the power lamp glowing solid green.
3. You’re done with the factory default reset! So then, execute WNCE2001 setup, to establish a connection with an existing, in-range Wi-Fi network. Enjoy.
Firmware versions tested
The comments in this procedure guide were derived from the WNCE2001 running the following firmware version(s):
- Firmware version: V22.214.171.124NA; GUI language version: V126.96.36.199
- User Manual
- Wireless LAN Bridges on Wi-Fi Planet
- Where to buy the Netgear Universal WiFi Internet Adapter WNCE2001
- 2017-03-19: Originally published.