You may wish to change the hosting WiFi network to which the Netgear WNCE2001 connects. Or perhaps you changed the SSID and / or WiFi password of the hosting network. Or, maybe you wish to connect the WNCE 2001 to a friend’s Wi-Fi while visiting. Perhaps your WNCE2001 fails to connect to the Wi-Fi network you previously set it up on. In any of these cases, you could solve the problem by running a Netgear WNCE2001 reset routine.
Explained below with pictures, the reset erases any WiFi network details in the adapter’s memory. These include the network SSID and password that the WNCE2001 currently talks to.
After that, you may set up the WNCE 2001 with the current values of any in-range WiFi network. So, a hard reset restores the WNCE2001 to fresh-out-of-box settings values.
Now to the Netgear WNCE2001 Reset Instructions
1. Power on the Adapter for Netgear WNCE2001 Reset
Connect to a USB power port via a USB cable. Or, power up with the power supply.
The power lamp then glows amber for most of a minute, as shown next.
Then it turns green, meaning good booting, as shown next.
Note though, that the WLAN (Wi-Fi) lamp is dark. This means that the adapter did not connect to any WiFi networks.
2. Reset the Netgear WNCE2001
We suggest factory resetting, to clear out any old or faulty settings. Resetting also starts the setting up process from a known-good point.
Reset the Netgear WNCE2001 as follows. First, press and hold the RESET button for ten seconds with a small paper clip end or rigid bag tie. Avoid pressing harder than needed. The reset process has begun when the Power LED starts blinking slowly.
When you see that, release the reset button.
Eventually, the blinking stops and the unit reboots with factory default settings in effect. After just over half a minute, it finishes booting but does not connect to any wireless networks. The status lamps then glow as pictured just above, with just the power lamp glowing solid green.
3. Netgear WNCE2001 Reset Done!
So then, run the WNCE2001 setup, to set a WiFi connection with an existing, in-range wireless network. Enjoy.
Firmware versions tested
The comments in this routine guide came out of the WNCE2001 running the following firmware version(s):
- Firmware version: V18.104.22.168NA; GUI language version: V22.214.171.124
- Netgear WN2500RP Dual Band N600 Wi-Fi Range Extender Review
- How to Factory Reset Netgear® WiFi Range Extender, General Instructions
- Netgear EX3700 Setup Instructions, How To
- Honeywell Thermostat Reset Instructions RTH9580WF
- Reset WiFi Network on Netgear WNCE2001 Universal Internet Adapter
- Netgear Universal WiFi Internet Adapter WNCE2001 Review
- JBL Xtreme Reset Instructions – How to Reset JBL Xtreme Speaker
Netgear WNCE2001 Reset: References
- User Manual
- Wireless LAN Bridges on Wi-Fi Planet
- Where to buy the Netgear Universal WiFi Internet Adapter WNCE2001
- 2018-04-15: Revised post content for better keyword targeting. Also, added the Related Posts section.
- 2017-03-19: Originally published.