This post demos pairing JBL Flip 2 with Google Home Original, Mini, Max smart speakers. Since this pairing happens between the Flip 2 and the Google speakers directly, you need not enable Bluetooth on in the mobile device you’re using to set up this pairing.
Pairing JBL Flip 2 with Google Home Original, Mini, Max Smart Speakers
With your JBL Flip 2 powered off (power button is dark), run through this routine to pair it to your Google Home Mini, Original, or Max. We’re using an iPad Air tablet to create this pairing. In this demo, we’re pairing with a Google Home Mini. But the routine is similar for the other Google smart speaker products.
Now, to the routine.
1. Find the Google Home App on your Mobile Device
We found the Home app on our iOS iPad Air as shown in the next screenshot. In our case, this app is on the third home screen page. It’s pointed at by the purple arrow.
2. Run the Google Home App
The app displays its Home screen as shown in the next screenshot.
3. Tap the Hamburger Control
Find the hamburger item in the top left corner of the screen. This is pointed at by the purple arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the Google Home app’s main menu, as shown in the next screenshot.
4. Tap the Devices Option on the Main Menu
The Devices option is pointed at by the purple arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the Devices screen, as shown in the next screenshot. From here, choose which smart speaker device you wish to pair with your JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth speaker. We had to scroll down a bit on this screen to find our Google Home Mini, named Office Speaker.
5. Tap the Hamburger Control on the Google Home Speaker you Wish to Pair to your JBL Flip 2
Find the hamburger control near the top right corner of each speaker card, as shown in the last screenshot.
This brings up the selected device’s control menu, as shown next.
6. Tap the Settings Menu Item
The Settings menu item is circled in purple in the last picture.
Tapping Settings takes you to the device-specific settings screen for the speaker you chose, as shown next.
7. Scroll Down to the Device Settings Section
Scroll down the Device Settings screen, until you see the Default Speaker item. We’ve pointed at this with a blue arrow in the next picture.
8. Tap the Default Speaker Item
This brings up the Choose a Default Speaker for Music and Audio screen, as shown next.
At this point, you’re ready to start a Bluetooth scan by your Google Home speaker. You’ve selected the Home speaker to pair with in step 5 above. So, that Google speaker will be the one that scans for Bluetooth devices like the JBL Flip 2.
But don’t press the Pair Bluetooth Speaker item button in the last screenshot just yet. We must first power up your JBL Flip 2 speaker and put it into pairing discovery mode.
9. Turn On your JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth Speaker
Put down your mobile device for a bit, and turn on the JBL Flip 2 by quickly pressing its Power button. See this button pointed at by the blue arrow in the next picture.
The speaker then powers up.
But since our Google Home Mini does not know about this speaker, the Flip 2 will not pair with it right away. Thus, the light that comes on in the power switch denotes this not-paired state by glowing solid white, as shown next.
10. Put your JBL Bluetooth Speaker into Discovery Mode
Now, to allow the Google Home speaker to find your JBL Flip 2, place the Flip 2 into Bluetooth discovery mode. To do that, press and release the Bluetooth button, as shown in the next picture, pointed at by the green arrow.
When you press the Bluetooth Discovery Mode button, the Flip 2 makes a repeating single tone sound several times. Also, the Bluetooth button changes from starts flashing white. See this next.
11. Go Back to your Mobile Device
The screen with the blue Pair Bluetooth Speaker option should still be showing, as in the next screenshot.
12. Tap the Pair Bluetooth Speaker Item
This starts your Google Home speaker scanning for any nearby Bluetooth devices that are themselves in Bluetooth discovery mode. Your Flip 2 is now in Bluetooth discovery mode. So your Google Home should find it.
The next screenshot shows the Bluetooth scanning in progress.
After a short pause, your Google Home should find the JBL Flip 2, and list it as shown next.
In our demo, the Google Home Mini speaker found our JBL Flip 2, named JBL Flip 2.
13. Tap your JBL Flip 2 on the Discovered Bluetooth Devices List to Pair It
See the screenshot above. If Google Home found more than one device, you’ll have to tap the one you want.
A blue check mark then appears beside the device you chose.
14. Tap the Done Item
Tapping Done causes our Google Home speaker to pair with the Flip 2.
The Google Home app then took us back to its Choose a Default Speaker for Music and Video screen, as shown next.
At that time,, the JBL Flip 2 makes the Speaker Paired sound (the three ascending beep tones). Note the blue check mark to the left of the new default speaker in the last screenshot.
The JBL Flip 2 speaker is now paired with your Google Home smart speaker. It’s Bluetooth button glows solid white. This means that successful pairing has started, as shown next.
We can now ask Google Home to play music on our Google Home Mini, and those tunes will play on this awesome sounding JBL Flip 2.
Note though, that only the media you request actually plays through your wireless speaker. The Google Assistant voice sounds however, still come from the Google Home speaker, even when paired. Also, be sure to speak directly to your Google Home speaker, and not to the Bluetooth speaker, when making voice requests. Though some Bluetooth speakers have a microphone and reroute audio input to that mic when paired with a smart speaker, this rerouting does not occur with this JBL Flip 2 / Google Home combination.
- Pairing UE Wonderboom with Google Home, How To
- How to Pair Victor Reader Trek with JBL Flip 2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Pairing JBL Flip 2 with Amazon Alexa Echo Speakers, Instructions
- JBL Flip 2 Reset Button Location, Where to Find It
- How to Pair JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth Speaker with iOS Devices, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
- JBL Flip 2 Reset Instructions, How to Factory Hard Reset JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth Speaker, Someday Perhaps
- How to Charge JBL Flip 2 Portable Bluetooth Speakers
- JBL Flip 2 Charger Replacement Adapter Suggestions
- How to Pair Google Home with Bluetooth Speaker, Connect to Bluetooth
- Ultimate Ears Wonderboom Pairing Instructions
- JBL Flip 2 Buttons Guide for JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth Speaker, Each Control Explored
- How to Pair JBL Go 2 with Echo Alexa Speakers
- Google Home can now Pair with Bluetooth Speakers, from Androidpolice.com
- 2019-04-20: Added tags, removed ad code, and beefed up the targeting.
- 2018-06-29: First published.