Stereo pairing on the Sony SRS XB13 Bluetooth speaker allows you to pair two XB13s together to form a stereo (L + R) set. So in this piece, we show you how to use this feature to enjoy more life like sounding music from this speaker. The only extra cost is that you must have two XB13s to get the stereo sound, because individually, these speakers are monophonic.
Sony SRS XB13 Stereo Pairing: How to Begin
Prepare the Speakers
- Start with both speakers powered OFF.
- Power up both speakers, and watch for the Pairing lamp to begin flashing blue on each one. If either speaker connects with a nearby Bluetooth device, you need to break that connection. So turn off Bluetooth on the nearby BT device or shut down that device altogether.
Initiate Stereo Pairing
- Press and hold the Bluetooth / ST PAIR button on one of the speakers for around three seconds, until that XB13 beeps. At this point, both the Bluetooth and ST PAIR lamps on this speaker flash. Then after five (5) seconds, the ST PAIR lamp stops flashing and glows steadily.
- Next, on the the second XB13, press and hold the Bluetooth / ST PAIR button for approximately three (3) seconds until its Power / Pairing and ST PAIR lamps flash. Note that you have one minute to do this after putting the first speaker in Add mode. Otherwise, that speaker times out, and reverts to a single BT speaker configuration. If this happens, power down both speakers, and start over with step 1.
- You’ll shortly thereafter hear a beep. Then the ST PAIR lamps on both speakers glow steadily and the Bluetooth light on the second speaker goes out while that same light on the first speaker continues blinking. Your two speakers are now linked to each other.
Pair your Source BT Device to this Sony SRS XB13 Stereo Pair
- Now connect the source device to the stereo pair set by going to the Bluetooth settings page on your source device, and connecting to the SRS-XB13 speaker set (should appear as “SRS-XB13” here). When you make the connection, the Bluetooth light on the first speaker begins glowing steadily, and you are now ready to enjoy stereo sound from your two XB13s.
Note that the speaker with the glowing Bluetooth lamp is the primary speaker in the stereo set. So that means that it is the one you would work to answer a call by pressing the Play-Pause-Phone button. Also, the speakers will remain in ST PAIR mode even after you turn them off. This just means that the next time you turn one of them on, it will look for the other one in the ST PAIR set to connect with. And if either speaker does not find the other after one (1) minute, then it reverts to single speaker operation.
How to Break the Stereo Pairing
To end this speaker tethering, while both speaker are powered up and connected to each other, press and hold the Bluetooth button on one of them for approximately three (3) seconds.
Release the button when you hear a beep. The stereo pairing has now been dissolved.
Other Sony SRS XB13 Posts
- 2022-10-02: First published.