The SRS XB23 Sony Bluetooth speaker is a small to medium power, desktop style unit with plenty of output watts in the specs to fill a typical room with tunes.
But what do the watts a wireless speaker has, tell you about it? Firstly, the watt is a measure of how much power the speaker consumes or outputs. Plus, this metric is a handy comparison measure. E.g. Generally speaking, speakers with more watts output tend to play louder than those with less. They cost more, have bigger batteries and chargers, along with larger drivers. They offer greater dynamic range, have a deeper bass response, and stereo versions and offer typically a bigger soundstage to listeners.
Thus in general, the more powerful the speaker, the better it sounds, even at lower volume. You get better clarity due to higher accuracy reproduction of the bass, midrange, and treble content of the music. More available power could mean less clipping distortion too. So, the speaker’s watts output is a primary indicator of speaker quality and performance. So as such, watts are of great interest to audiophiles and novice listeners alike.
In this case, the Sony XB23, as a portable BT speaker, is a moderate level model for its size. Its audio power can fill a small to medium size room with music. See below for details on its RMS and peak power output.
Sony XB23 Specs Watts: Details
- Battery Capacity: 9.77 watt-hours (3.62 volts, 2.7 amp-hours).
- USB-C Charger Power: 7.5 watts (5 volts at 1.5 amps).
- Light Power: No party lights on the XB23.
- Bluetooth Standby Mode Power: 0.3 watts.
- Power Bank Output Power: Not available on this speaker.
- Total Audio Output Power on AC (RMS): 8 watts.
- Total Peak Audio Power (both channels): 11.3 watts.
- Audio Output Power on Battery: Decreases as battery discharges.
- Output Power per Channel: 4 watts RMS.
Notes on Sony XB23 Specs Watts
- The system tries to conserve battery power as the battery get close to total depletion. The XB 23 does this by cutting the audio output power somewhat.
- The SRS XB23 speaker may not input enough enough power from a USB-C power adapter to keep the battery from discharging when playing at full volume, depending on what you’re playing on it. So it’s possible that even with the unit plugged in, you could still see it shut down. Thus on the (rare) occasions that this occurs, just stop playing the 23 for an hour or two, to let it build up some reserve power while charging. Then, fire it up again for continued party enjoyment.
Related Posts to Sony XB23 Specs Watts
Other Sony XB23 Posts
- 2023-03-19: First published.